64 Champ restoration 34 years in the making

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 64 Champ restoration 34 years in the making

Hello SDC, I was a member back in the early 80s when I was young and now I'm back. Have a buddy restoring my 1964 Champ that I drove back in high school and two years of college. She sat in our office's parking lot for the past 34 years. My father bought her for his moving and storage business new from the dealership in Knoxville, TN. He also had a road tractor and 2 ton both Diesels around '62 models as well as a 64 Cruiser. We sold the Diesel to some guys in Virginia back in the mid-80s. Would love to find those guys and find out what they did with those trucks. In high school I bought more Studebakers, another 64 Cruiser, Lark and a 53 (?)Champion, I get confused but it would have made a sexy car. I sold then when I determined that I didn't have the time, money, patience and skill to do what I wanted for them. Just rambling while I sit watching the rain thinking that I should have built an arc and loaded mating pairs of Studebakers in it.
    Seriously, we are about ready for paint. I'm trying to take her back to original Apache Red with white grill/headlight bezels, wheels and hub caps. We have found what the name of the white is but we don't have a paint formula for it. Any suggestions? The wheels and hub caps looked to be a different shade of white from the grill but I'm not finding any information that they were. On the Apache Red, NAPA thinks that they can match it from the ash tray.
    Thanks
    P.S. I hope that I'm not posting in the wrong place/thread

18 IDYSD Champ.jpgHere is an example of Apache Red.....
    Originally posted by mho;H
    Hello SDC, I was a member back in the early 80s when I was young and now I'm back. Have a buddy restoring my 1964 Champ that I drove back in high school and two years of college. She sat in our office's parking lot for the past 34 years. My father bought her for his moving and storage business new from the dealership in Knoxville, TN. He also had a road tractor and 2 ton both Diesels around '62 models as well as a 64 Cruiser. We sold the Diesel to some guys in Virginia back in the mid-80s. Would love to find those guys and find out what they did with those trucks. In high school I bought more Studebakers, another 64 Cruiser, Lark and a 53 (?)Champion, I get confused but it would have made a sexy car. I sold then when I determined that I didn't have the time, money, patience and skill to do what I wanted for them. Just rambling while I sit watching the rain thinking that I should have built an arc and loaded mating pairs of Studebakers in it.
    Seriously, we are about ready for paint. I'm trying to take her back to original Apache Red with white grill/headlight bezels, wheels and hub caps. We have found what the name of the white is but we don't have a paint formula for it. Any suggestions? The wheels and hub caps looked to be a different shade of white from the grill but I'm not finding any information that they were. On the Apache Red, NAPA thinks that they can match it from the ash tray.
    Thanks
    P.S. I hope that I'm not posting in the wrong place/thread
    Lou Van Anne
    62 Champ
    64 R2 GT Hawk
    79 Avanti II

Comment

I had a similar truck done a few years ago and the painters had no trouble matching the paint so it can't be too hard.
      Don Wilson, Centralia, WA

40 Champion 4 door*
      50 Champion 2 door*
      53 Commander K Auto*
      53 Commander K overdrive*
      55 President Speedster
      62 GT 4Speed*
      63 Avanti R1*
      64 Champ 1/2 ton

* Formerly owned

Comment

Welcome to the SDC Forum! That is an interesting story. I wish that I was young in the '80s.
        Gary L.
        Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
        Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Great to have a vehicle that has been in the family since new.

Someone will correct me if wrong, but I believe that white is Parchment white - same as the exterior paint color.

You can also start a thread in the members Studebaker picture area with a running thread of photos and your progress.

Comment

Originally posted by mho View Post
            My father bought her for his moving and storage business new from the dealership in Knoxville, TN. He also had a road tractor and 2 ton both Diesels around '62 models as well as a 64 Cruiser. We sold the Diesel to some guys in Virginia back in the mid-80s. Would love to find those guys and find out what they did with those trucks.
            Ask Gary Hearn (aka here as "Guido") if it was him.

Craig

Comment

Working...
            X