No announcement yet.

Champion-powered TROG racer build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Laura and I drove the Avanti to Wildwood on Saturday to watch the So.Bend Shaker and others race . What we were met with was a Sea of humanity, It seem this race is alot more popular than we expected .We also read on the web page you could park Pre 1965 cars on the beach for a 10.00 fee , well you have to be preregistered to do that . We were not , The lines to get day tickets to watch the race were long , Very long and I don't do long lines very well. So we found a way to get close to the pits on the beach and took some pics of the motorcycles and cars thru a fence. We then walked over to car show on the beach and found about 60 cars being shown , There were some nice cars but no Studes , We then walked up to the boardwalk and had a nice lunch . We decided to go to Cape May and we drove around and got some fresh fish and clams from our favorite fish store and went home .
    Next year if we decide to go we will preregister and get a motel room for the weekend. There seemed to be a lot of other things going on also but again you had to be preregistered , All in all it was a nice day , Ed

Comment

What a weekend! I’m just now starting to get caught back up here, and already looking forward to next year. The car did great, running undefeated in 5 races on Saturday. On Sunday we won our first race and then finally eliminated. But it took the fella who won the class to do it, and we gave him a hell of a run!
      Attached Files

Comment

And some more...
        Attached Files

Comment

Great stuff guys! Sorry I had to miss the event - I’ll be there next year with my M5 for sure.

Comment

Sounds like fun, and a great showing for its first time out. Looking forward to next year.

Comment

Very good showing for your first time out.
              You probably have some ideas for improvements.
              sigpic

"In the heart of Arkansas."
              Searcy, Arkansas
              1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.
              1952 2R pickup

Comment

Thanks guys!

I think the little Champion mill impressed more than a few! I would like to fine tune the induction a little more, and build a progressive linkage for the carbs. Lots more places to shed some weight too. But with our "oddball" engine and no previous TROG experience I was very proud of what we accomplished the first time out. Also definitely learned a lot about what "rules" are flexible, so mental notes were taken there.

Another BIG thank you to everyone here who supported us in any way - your help and knowledge means more than you think!

Comment

Questions. What is the thing on the steering where the yellow circle is? I don't see it in the other pictures.
                  Also what radiator did you use and is the Model A shell narrowed? Click image for larger version

Name:	image_72657a.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	156.4 KB
ID:	1807908
                  sigpic

"In the heart of Arkansas."
                  Searcy, Arkansas
                  1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.
                  1952 2R pickup

Comment

That thing on the drag link is a GoPro camera mount, not a part of the vehicle.

The radiator is from a Ford 8N tractor, and yes the Model A shell is narrowed and shortened to fit.

Comment

Awesome, South Bend Shaker!! That's an impressive set of rounds. Congratulations! I was hoping to make it but some family obligations got in the way. Dang. Maybe next year..
                      Check out around 23:04 of this video. Shame they didn't record the whole run, but can see you launching. The video gives a good feel for the event as well.

Btw, looks like a camera mount on the steering rod, 52 fan.
                      -Matt

1963 GT Hawk
                      1960 Metropolitan Convertible
                      1972 AMC Javelin/ AMX
                      1956 Cushman Eagle

Comment

Thanks for the reference on that video. She couldn't be beat off the line!

Even when we were eliminated we had the jump, he just had more motor on the big end.

Originally posted by Metman View Post
                        Check out around 23:04 of this video. Shame they didn't record the whole run, but can see you launching. The video gives a good feel for the event as well.

Comment

That video certainly portrays how much fun the event must be. I am really wanting to attend at some point. As a spectator that is.
                          Joe Roberts
                          '61 R1 Champ
                          '65 Cruiser
                          Eastern North Carolina Chapter

Comment

Originally posted by JRoberts View Post
                            That video certainly portrays how much fun the event must be. I am really wanting to attend at some point. As a spectator that is.
                            You won't regret it! As much fun as it was to race I was actually envious of the spectators at times. They had a much better view of the racing than we did!

Comment

Congrats on your effort!
                              Love the build. Love the quality of the build. Love the attitude.

Also like the thought process.
                              Horsepower is not the most important thing at this event.
                              Hooking the tires up to the sand is.
                              That lil' Champ six sounds about perfect to get you going without digging two huge holes.

Congratulations!
                              Jeff
                              HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

Working...
                              X