No announcement yet.

FORUM WAS OFFLINE SUNDAY

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Whew!! I'm so glad to "see" you guys again .I was getting the heebeejeebees and wondering if i needed another pc.Great work on getting the SDC up n running again.Ya'll are just to addictive.

David Baggett '53 coupe

Comment

Whew!! I'm so glad to "see" you guys again .I was getting the heebeejeebees and wondering if i needed another pc.Great work on getting the SDC up n running again.Ya'll are just to addictive.

David Baggett '53 coupe

Comment

Many thanks from me too, Bob. I enjoy this forum immensely.
        sals54

Comment

Many thanks from me too, Bob. I enjoy this forum immensely.
          sals54

Comment

Bob. you re to be commended for the YOEMANS effort you put forth to keep this site up and running as it is no simple task. THANKS FOR THE EFFORT!!!!
            sigpicSee you in the future as I write about our past

Comment

Bob. you re to be commended for the YOEMANS effort you put forth to keep this site up and running as it is no simple task. THANKS FOR THE EFFORT!!!!
              sigpicSee you in the future as I write about our past

Comment

Speaking of the 500 (and I read that there was a Stude in the 1st Daytona 500), NASCAR is so boring now. Honestly, you cannot tell the cars apart - they all use the same body and just paint them differently. Maybe I'm just getting old(er)?

--george

Comment

Speaking of the 500 (and I read that there was a Stude in the 1st Daytona 500), NASCAR is so boring now. Honestly, you cannot tell the cars apart - they all use the same body and just paint them differently. Maybe I'm just getting old(er)?

--george

Comment

by the way - i'm GLAD the forums are back

--george

Comment

by the way - i'm GLAD the forums are back

--george

Comment

quote:Originally posted by ClaymoreWW

--george
                        No, you aren't getting older, George; NASCAR has simply become racing among driver names more than among car brands. Plenty of driver popularity early on, of course (The Flock Brothers, Buck Baker, Lee Petty, Herb Thomas, etc.) but the crowd resonated with the brands of cars on the track because that's what they drove to the track and the cars were, in fact, "stock" when compared to today's generics.

For good entertainment, buy the video The First Ten Years of NASCAR sold by Rare Sportsfilms in, as I recall, New Jersey. I've had a copy of that early footage (pieces of many races, ending with the first Daytona 500) for years and have watched it a dozen times. It's always a treat, and you gain appreciation for how tough those early drivers had to be. One of the first races has a 1951 Commander 4-door [:0] in it, for Pete's sake! BP
                        We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

Ayn Rand:
                        "You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality."

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

quote:Originally posted by ClaymoreWW

--george
                          No, you aren't getting older, George; NASCAR has simply become racing among driver names more than among car brands. Plenty of driver popularity early on, of course (The Flock Brothers, Buck Baker, Lee Petty, Herb Thomas, etc.) but the crowd resonated with the brands of cars on the track because that's what they drove to the track and the cars were, in fact, "stock" when compared to today's generics.

For good entertainment, buy the video The First Ten Years of NASCAR sold by Rare Sportsfilms in, as I recall, New Jersey. I've had a copy of that early footage (pieces of many races, ending with the first Daytona 500) for years and have watched it a dozen times. It's always a treat, and you gain appreciation for how tough those early drivers had to be. One of the first races has a 1951 Commander 4-door [:0] in it, for Pete's sake! BP
                          We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

Ayn Rand:
                          "You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality."

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

quote:Originally posted by BShaw

Well, Sunday [u]is</u> a day of rest, you know. ...
                            We appear to be back up and running. Sorry for the inconvenience.
                            Thanks for your effort. I, for one, appreciate it.
                            I had just installed IE 7.0 and thought it had knocked me out of the Forum. I guess I have to take back some of the bad things I said about MicroSoft.
                            However, in a Forum-deprived stupor I did notice another forum that I hadn't seen before- the Station Wagons, so I tuned in to it.

[img=right]http://www.frontiernet.net/~thejohnsons/Forum%20signature%20pix/R-4.JPG[/img=right][img=right]http://www.frontiernet.net/~thejohnsons/Forum%20signature%20pix/64L.JPG[/img=right][img=right]http://www.frontiernet.net/~thejohnsons/Forum%20signature%20pix/64P.jpg[/img=right][img=right]http://www.frontiernet.net/~thejohnsons/Forum%20signature%20pix/53K.jpg[/img=right]Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia
                            '53 Commander Starliner (since 1966)
                            '64 Daytona Wagonaire (original owner)
                            '64 Daytona Convertible (2006)
                            Museum R-4 engine
                            1962 Gravely Model L (Studebaker-Packard serial plate)
                            1972 Gravely Model 430 (Studebaker name plate, Studebaker Onan engine)
                            Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia.
                            '64 Daytona Wagonaire, '64 Avanti R-1, Museum R-4 engine, '72 Gravely Model 430 with Onan engine

Comment

quote:Originally posted by BShaw

Well, Sunday [u]is</u> a day of rest, you know. ...
                              We appear to be back up and running. Sorry for the inconvenience.
                              Thanks for your effort. I, for one, appreciate it.
                              I had just installed IE 7.0 and thought it had knocked me out of the Forum. I guess I have to take back some of the bad things I said about MicroSoft.
                              However, in a Forum-deprived stupor I did notice another forum that I hadn't seen before- the Station Wagons, so I tuned in to it.

[img=right]http://www.frontiernet.net/~thejohnsons/Forum%20signature%20pix/R-4.JPG[/img=right][img=right]http://www.frontiernet.net/~thejohnsons/Forum%20signature%20pix/64L.JPG[/img=right][img=right]http://www.frontiernet.net/~thejohnsons/Forum%20signature%20pix/64P.jpg[/img=right][img=right]http://www.frontiernet.net/~thejohnsons/Forum%20signature%20pix/53K.jpg[/img=right]Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia
                              '53 Commander Starliner (since 1966)
                              '64 Daytona Wagonaire (original owner)
                              '64 Daytona Convertible (2006)
                              Museum R-4 engine
                              1962 Gravely Model L (Studebaker-Packard serial plate)
                              1972 Gravely Model 430 (Studebaker name plate, Studebaker Onan engine)
                              Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia.
                              '64 Daytona Wagonaire, '64 Avanti R-1, Museum R-4 engine, '72 Gravely Model 430 with Onan engine

Comment

quote:Originally posted by StudeDave57
                                [brHe wasn't my driver, but some guy from South Bend, Indiana won it.

I hear ya- mine neither. He died watching his son and best friend right in front of him battling for the win[V][V]

Robert (Bob) Andrews Owner- Studebakeracres- on the IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys!)
                                Parish, central NY 13131

"With your Lark you're on your own, free as a bird, alive as a Lark. You've suddenly discovered that parking is a pleasure, traffic is a breeze, turning's no trick at all, and happiness is a thing called Larking!"

Comment

Working...
                                X