63 GT Hawk Exhaust

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 63 GT Hawk Exhaust

Was dual exhaust standard on 63 GT Hawks? A friend of mine purchased a 63 GT Hawk from a museum and it has a single exhaust. He was trying to determine if this was stock.

All U.S. Built GT Hawks had 289 Engines and Dual Exhausts as Standard Equipment.

To save the owner money, a Muffler Shop could use a single exhaust system replacement.

If that was my Car, it would take less than a nano second to decide what to do with it!
    The SOUND of a Studebaker V8 with the right mufflers and Dual Exhausts is like NO other.
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

Who needs Mufflers?

Comment

Thanks for the reply. I believe that he will be adding dual exhausts soon. It is an interesting car. It was ordered by a dealer in Portales New Mexico and has a 3 speed overdrive, air, disc brakes, and standard steering. The dealer kept the car until he passed away in 1981.

Comment

Interesting. I always thought it was strange that my '63 has a 2 barrel carb with dual exhaust. Guess I always equated dual exhaust as a performance package with 4 brl carb. What was the reasoning behind this decision of duals for all? Certainly counter to cutting cost.

Comment

Dual exhausts were cool in the 50s and 60s, and nearly every manufacturer offered them as either standard equipment or an option with V8 engines. I put them on every car I owned back then (if they weren't already so equipped). I guess you hadda be there.
            Skip Lackie

Comment

Working...
            X