No announcement yet.

Is this a Big 6 engine? Just wondering.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is this a Big 6 engine? Just wondering.

Can someone tell me if this is a Big 6 engine? I don't know them well enough, but it does look quite different from the Champ 6s.
    sals54

Commander 6. The big 6 was in the 20s.
    Bez Auto Alchemy
    573-318-8948
    http://bezautoalchemy.com

"Don't believe every internet quote" Abe Lincoln

Comment

Did anyone else notice the diaphragm clutch. That's not stock is it?

Comment

Originally posted by 70Avanti2 View Post
        Did anyone else notice the diaphragm clutch. That's not stock is it?
        Yep. I've got 6 of them in stock.
        Bo

Comment

Aah yes. Commander 6. Thanks.
          sals54

Comment

The bigger 6 has 24 head bolts were the 170 six doesn’t
            sigpic

Home of the Fried Green Tomato

"IF YOU WANT THE SMILES YOU NEED TO DO THE MILES "

1960 Champ , 1966 Daytona , 1965 Daytona Wagonaire

Comment

Originally posted by bezhawk View Post
              Commander 6. The big 6 was in the 20s.
              True, but many people call the Commander engine a Big Six just because it it larger than the Champion engine. For years I didn't know that the real Big Six was a much earlier engine.
              "In the heart of Arkansas."
              Searcy, Arkansas
              1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.
              1952 2R pickup

Comment

Originally posted by 52-fan View Post
                ... many people call the Commander engine a Big Six just because it it larger than the Champion engine.
                That would not be a faux pas outside the Studebaker community. But, since that early engine, as well as the vehicle it powered, was actually commissioned the "Big Six", within our community we need to know better and clarify the error when we encounter it.
                Within the Studebaker Corporation the Rockne Six, Dictator Six or Commander Six was never referred to as the Big Six.
                Brad Johnson,
                SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
                Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
                '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
                '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

Originally posted by rockne10 View Post
                  That would not be a faux pas outside the Studebaker community. But, since that early engine, as well as the vehicle it powered, was actually commissioned the "Big Six", within our community we need to know better and clarify the error when we encounter it.
                  Within the Studebaker Corporation the Rockne Six, Dictator Six or Commander Six was never referred to as the Big Six.
                  What was the first year of production for the Rockne Six, Dictator Six or Commander Six?
                  RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
                  4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
                  5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon

Comment

Originally posted by RadioRoy View Post
                    What was the first year of production for the Rockne Six, Dictator Six or Commander Six?
                    The Rockne Six was designed in 1931 by Ralph Vail and Roy Cole and first saw the light in the 1932 Rockne'65', with production beginning December 15, 1931. Then used in the 1933 Rockne'10', with production ceasing in July, 1933.

The Dictator had its own Six at 221.4 cid in 1928; I believe the same as the Standard Six of 1927.

In 1934 the Dictator Six displaced 205.3 cubic inches and, I believe, was the same Rockne block casting. In 1936 and '37 the displacement went to 217.8, and there were no Dictators after 1937.

The Commander was introduced for the 1938 model year with a displacement of 226.2, again utilizing the Rockne block, then enlarged to its final 245 cubic inches in 1949. Last installed in automobiles in 1950 and in some of the larger trucks in to 1961.

So, with some displacement changes, what we came to know as the Commander Six was born in 1931, and passed in to history in 1961. A good run.

This is to the best of my understanding, and if corrections can be made I would welcome input or confirmation from those in the know.
                    Last edited by rockne10; 01-14-2019, 12:24 PM.
                    Brad Johnson,
                    SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
                    Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
                    '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
                    '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

I’m pretty sure 1960 was the last year for the 245 flathead engine , it was used in the trucks at the end .
                      sigpic

Home of the Fried Green Tomato

"IF YOU WANT THE SMILES YOU NEED TO DO THE MILES "

1960 Champ , 1966 Daytona , 1965 Daytona Wagonaire

Comment

In the above two posts, both Brad and Bob are 99% correct. The 245 ci Commander 6 was last listed as being available in 1960 5E-series trucks. From the Stude truck history on the main SDC website:

"As usual, 1960-61 production included several oddballs and models not in the catalog. Several trucks were built that were powered by the Commander 6, even though this engine had been dropped from the catalog in 1960. These included two 1½-ton 5E16s in September 1960, six 1-ton 1960-model 5E14s (including one 4WD 5E14D) in September and October 1960, and two ½-ton 6E6 pickups in January 1961 (presumably the very last Studebaker vehicles built with this venerable engine). The single 5E14D built in September 1960 was on the cover of the August 1999 Turning Wheels, and according to Fred Fox’s history of the 5E-series trucks, had 1961 trim and paint codes. This makes sense, given the fact that the 1961 6E-series trucks were already in production when it was built."
                        Last edited by Skip Lackie; 01-17-2019, 01:19 PM.
                        Skip Lackie

Comment

Originally posted by rockne10 View Post
                          The Rockne Six was designed in 1931 by Ralph Vail and Roy Cole and first saw the light in the 1932 Rockne'65', with production beginning December 15, 1931. Then used in the 1933 Rockne'10', with production ceasing in July, 1933.

The Dictator had its own Six at 221.4 cid in 1928; I believe the same as the Standard Six of 1927.

In 1934 the Dictator Six displaced 205.3 cubic inches and, I believe, was the same Rockne block casting. In 1936 and '37 the displacement went to 217.8, and there were no Dictators after 1937.

The Commander was introduced for the 1938 model year with a displacement of 226.2, again utilizing the Rockne block, then enlarged to its final 245 cubic inches in 1949. Last installed in automobiles in 1950 and in some of the larger trucks in to 1961.

So, with some displacement changes, what we came to know as the Commander Six was born in 1931, and passed in to history in 1961. A good run.

This is to the best of my understanding, and if corrections can be made I would welcome input or confirmation from those in the know.
                          Thanks Brad!
                          RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
                          4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
                          5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon

Comment

Working...
                          X