Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bad Chad's 39 Stude Custom

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Bad Chad's 39 Stude Custom

    So... I was watching the new show called Bad Chad Customs. Pretty wierd and koool show. Interesting guy who builds some really awesome and strange custom cars. He's like a throwback to the late 50s with how he builds cars. But they are incredible designs. I'm not crazy about every aspect of the builds, but for a guy who just starts cutting and welding, it turns into an amazing custom car. Here's a rough picture of his 39 Coupe. It started as a Commander 2 door hump back. (one seriously ugly design), abut he turns it into this:

    Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4525.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	114.9 KB
ID:	1759910
    sals54

  • #2
    Hey that’s Gene Windfield in the black shirt!

    Comment


    • #3
      Yup... Gene loved the car.
      sals54

      Comment


      • #4
        Very kewl.
        The only difference between death and taxes is that death does not grow worse every time Congress convenes. - Will Rogers

        Comment


        • #5
          I thought it was funny he didn't even alter the VW bug hood (looked to be from a super beetle) he used for the deck lid so it wasn't obvious what it was. At least it'll be easy to replace if it gets damaged.
          sigpic

          Comment


          • #6
            Amazing what a good tin bender can do with a lower line car. The body work is really nice, but it looks funny on that chassis. The wheels are set in too far to look right.
            sigpic

            "In the heart of Arkansas."
            Searcy, Arkansas
            1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.
            1952 2R pickup

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by 52-fan View Post
              Amazing what a good tin bender can do with a lower line car. The body work is really nice, but it looks funny on that chassis. The wheels are set in too far to look right.
              That is my take on the car. The track is too narrow. A little bit smaller on the wheel/tire combination and a wider track and it would look better, to me.
              Last edited by studegary; 01-03-2019, 05:01 PM. Reason: corrected mis-statement
              Gary L.
              Wappinger, NY

              SDC member since 1968
              Studebaker enthusiast much longer

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by Studedude
                Wouldn't smaller wheels and tires, along with a narrower track make the too narrow track narrower?

                Asking for a friend.
                Yes, Dave, that is an error on my part. I will correct it.
                Gary L.
                Wappinger, NY

                SDC member since 1968
                Studebaker enthusiast much longer

                Comment


                • #9
                  It looks to me like he had to narrow the tire/wheels, to allow the tire to retract into the highest part of the fender, in order to lower it. I agree, it does look a little funny that way.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    But then again, fellas, that was the way of things back in the 50s. The wheel/tire package did not need to fill the space as the do today. Skinny tires on skinny rims were the cat's meow. And I think that is where his head, heart and soul are. In the 50s. Did you see the car he drives daily? It's a Killer 50s style screamer. I'll try to get a picture of it.
                    Found it.
                    Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4530.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	57.1 KB
ID:	1724824
                    Now THATs what I'm talkin about. Very Kooool. He's gonna do it HIS way. I love it.
                    Last edited by sals54; 01-03-2019, 07:08 PM.
                    sals54

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by tsenecal View Post
                      It looks to me like he had to narrow the tire/wheels, to allow the tire to retract into the highest part of the fender, in order to lower it. I agree, it does look a little funny that way.
                      That is what I figured also. That is why I felt that a change in wheel/tire size was required with a wider tread.
                      Gary L.
                      Wappinger, NY

                      SDC member since 1968
                      Studebaker enthusiast much longer

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Nice design,, but the stance does looks strange to me. Sal pardon me for saying so, you seem to have a misplaced sense of aesthetic elitism. While the 1938-39 coupe may not be the most beautiful design of the fat fendered era, it certainly is not "one seriously ugly design." I don't just say this because I own one, but it certainly helps with perspective. By the way I also own a 1937 President coupe, another car that needs nothing to improve it's looks. Vary interested in your coupe project, and where your concept will end up.

                        As an aside about five years ago, I had the opportunity to pay a visit to Gene Windfield, at his place outside of Palmdale. Just getting there was an experience in itself. The setting, the family, and the afternoon all seemed somehow surreal.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by Hallabutt View Post
                          Nice design,, but the stance does looks strange to me. Sal pardon me for saying so, you seem to have a misplaced sense of aesthetic elitism. While the 1938-39 coupe may not be the most beautiful design of the fat fendered era, it certainly is not "one seriously ugly design." I don't just say this because I own one, but it certainly helps with perspective. By the way I also own a 1937 President coupe, another car that needs nothing to improve it's looks. Vary interested in your coupe project, and where your concept will end up.

                          As an aside about five years ago, I had the opportunity to pay a visit to Gene Windfield, at his place outside of Palmdale. Just getting there was an experience in itself. The setting, the family, and the afternoon all seemed somehow surreal.

                          But his car did not start out as a "Coupe". It started out as a 2 door sedan with a hump back. Those, I believe, are not the most attractive of the 39s. The real Coupes, though, are quite lovely all by themselves. In that I do agree.
                          A terrific benefit of this show was another showcase of a beautiful Studebaker model which outshines its Big 3 competitors of the same year. More kudos for Studebaker on national TV. That in itself is a grand change for the better.
                          sals54

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Chad Hiltz of Canning, Nova Scotia, Canada has amazing imagination and talent in building custom cars. The picture here of the Studebaker was taken at last year's Atlantic Nationals car show in Moncton, New Brunswick. Chad always brings something really different to this show. I'm not a huge fan of modified cars, but Chad's ideas and workmanship have to be admired. His forward-control 1962 Chrysler Windsor, called the Green Goblin, is my favourite.

                            Yes, that's Gene Winfield in the picture. He has put on metal-working demonstrations at the Atlantic Nationals for many years. He is on the featured guest list again in 2019, when he'll be 92 years young.
                            Bill Jarvis

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Yeah... Here's the 62 Windsor which has been transformed into the Green Goblin. Awesome. Not the first of its design, but still, pretty dang incredible.

                              Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4532.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	82.9 KB
ID:	1724837Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4533.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	128.5 KB
ID:	1724838
                              sals54

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X