Know this car~??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Know this car~??

Do any of you know this car~? https://www.ebay.com/itm/1955-Studeb...53.m1438.l2649
    It's in Olney, Illinois, and I like what I'm seeing~!

If all you have to judge the condition of this one is the terrible dark cellphone Pic's on eBay, I'd plan on a Road Trip to check it out closely.

Interested parties also need to ask if the eBay Ad is wrong about it being an Automatic.

It would be a BIG plus if the info about a New Clutch is correct, making it a Overdrive or Std. Trans.
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

I don't know it. It does look nice. It is a President coupe (C body) with options and extras like dual spotlights and a Speedster "halo".
      I notice a 1960 Hawk and something else, perhaps a Nova, in the same garage.

EDIT: The best that I can see in the picture, it appears to be standard transmission.
      Gary L.
      Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
      Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

I would be concerned about the serial number tag. Looks like it may have been removed and tacked back on. Notice the holes to the left of it. There may be no issue as it may have been removed as part of a repair or repaint.
        78 Avanti RQB 2792
        64 Avanti R1 R5408
        63 Avanti R1 R4551
        63 Avanti R1 R2281
        62 GT Hawk V15949
        56 GH 6032504
        56 GH 6032588
        55 Speedster 7160047
        55 Speedster 7165279

Comment

The fact that the Serial Number plate is not aligned with the screw holes to temporarily hold it for welding, is NOT a problem.
          The Factory NEVER used the Engineered-in method of installation, by matching the notches in the plate to the holes in the body with screws.

What does seem questionable is the Black Fuser or other adhesive seeping out and smeared below it, like it was glued on!

Click image for larger version

Name:	President Coupe2.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	71.4 KB
ID:	1724796
          Last edited by StudeRich; 12-30-2018, 11:49 PM.
          StudeRich
          Second Generation Stude Driver,
          Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

Olney IL is about 160 miles from me, so I could be paid to examine the car if anyone is seriously interested in it. It looks like a nice car...but in our Midwest rust-belt environment, an on-site inspection would be mandated.

I expanded the photo of the engine room and it looks like there is an overdrive relay on the firewall behind and to the right of the battery.

As has been said here many times, the holes in the left door hinge post on either side of the Serial Number plate were never intended to be the exact alignment for attaching the Serial Number plate. All they did was provide a place for a temporary cover [plate] to be secured while the pillar post was painted, so there would be a square area roughly the size of the Serial Number plate that was not painted when the car went down the line.

Then, when it came time to affix the Serial Number plate electrically (with spot welds) the spot welds would not be compromised by trying to get "through" a layer of paint between the Serial Number plate and the pillar post. BP
            We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

Ayn Rand:
            "You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality."

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Does look nice. I am also within a 150 miles of this car. I thought about calling about it. I decided against it. I’m kind of looking for another car, but not exactly sure what I am looking for. Any of you ever do that? Anyway back to the car on Ebay. You can find rust free cars in Illinois, but they are extremely rare. I would for sure go look at it or pay someone to do it for you.
              1962 Champ

51 Commander 4 door

Comment

I think the VIN plate is original to the car. What looks like some sort of adhesive could be rust creeping out from under the plate. Bud

Comment

Originally posted by Bud View Post
                  I think the VIN plate is original to the car. What looks like some sort of adhesive could be rust creeping out from under the plate. Bud
                  That's what I thought it looked like.
                  sigpic

"In the heart of Arkansas."
                  Searcy, Arkansas
                  1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.
                  1952 2R pickup

Comment

I know this car and it's owner. Very nice car and family. You won't find many faults with it's restoration. I used to live in Olney & am only 40 miles away now.
                    Mike Sal

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Sal View Post
                      I know this car and it's owner. Very nice car and family. You won't find many faults with it's restoration. I used to live in Olney & am only 40 miles away now.
                      Mike Sal
                      The car is 3 steps away from being obscenely delicious. I've drooled all over my keyboard~!

Comment

I don't know if he still has it or not, but Lauren also had a very nice C cab truck with matching (color) boat on a trailer. He used to have a very nice 1916 that the only thing he did wrong was use phillips head screws on the dash (it was sold but I don't know where it went).
                        Mike Sal

Comment

Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
                          The fact that the Serial Number plate is not aligned with the screw holes to temporarily hold it for welding, is NOT a problem.
                          The Factory NEVER used the Engineered-in method of installation, by matching the notches in the plate to the holes in the body with screws.

What does seem questionable is the Black Fuser or other adhesive seeping out and smeared below it, like it was glued on!

[ATTACH=CONFIG]77851[/ATTACH]
                          Yrs, it does somewhat seems to be {gluet}on. jimmijim
                          sigpicAnything worth doing deserves your best shot. Do it right the first time. When you're done you will know it. { I'm just the guy who thinks he knows everything, my buddy is the guy who knows everything.} cheers jimmijim*****SDC***** member

Comment

There was a guy from Florida on her a while looking for a 55 President remarking how he had wished that he would have been able to buy my 55 Pres when It was on e bay bout 3 years ago. I believe he called me about it and we talked for a good while about my car. He didn't get a chance to bid as a fellow from Texas called me and made me an offer so I accepted as I need to rehome the car. It was nice, not completely restored just basically upkept all its life.I sold it for bout 15 G only losing bout 1500 bucks after some upkeep investments. No biggie to me at the time. Any how, guy from Florida. I recommend you try to buy this car .Maybe the owner will do a buy it now at a good price. Seems like an honest car. Pictures of the under side would be nice and I'll bet the would reveal a clean machine but we don't know. jimmijim Depending on the individual. these cars without power steering may be a bear for you to drive. Mine had a Bendix power steering added on to the factory equipped manual box.
                            sigpicAnything worth doing deserves your best shot. Do it right the first time. When you're done you will know it. { I'm just the guy who thinks he knows everything, my buddy is the guy who knows everything.} cheers jimmijim*****SDC***** member

Comment

Working...
                            X