Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

'51 Commander bumper guard options - What would you do?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Sam Ensley View Post
    To me, it looks better with the two factory bumper guards. Keep the towel racks because when you sell it to me I want them. My neighbor's car, which was identical to this one, had the towel rack bars. I want it to look exactly like his.
    Hang in there Sam. There's hope. He's had it for 5 months. It'll be going on the market any day now.
    Jerry Forrester
    Forrester's Chrome
    Douglasville, Georgia

See all of Buttercup's pictures at https://imgur.com/a/tBjGzTk

Comment

I like the plain bumpers with no bumper guards at all.
      Joe Roberts
      '61 R1 Champ
      '65 Cruiser
      Eastern North Carolina Chapter

Comment

Any car that looks good with bumper guards...looks even better without them.
        Dick Steinkamp
        Bellingham, WA

Comment

Originally posted by jclary View Post
          I agree...it's kinda like taking a beautiful bikini model and dressing her in "Granny Panties."
          Couldn't have said it better myself!
          While a bullet nose probably NEEDS bumper guards, I prefer the clean-shaven look.
          Mike Davis
          Regional Manager, North Carolina
          1964 Champ 8E7-122 "Stuey"

Comment

Is the front license plate a state requirement?
            sigpic
            In the middle of MinneSTUDEa.

Comment

Originally posted by Milaca View Post
              Is the front license plate a state requirement?
              It looks like a fake 1951 California Plate, so probably not required in Florida!

That is because 2Z1 857 Never happened!
              StudeRich
              Second Generation Stude Driver,
              Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
                It looks like a fake 1951 California Plate, so probably not required in Florida!

That is because 2Z1 857 Never happened!
                It’s a real, original license plate. It was on the car when Dr. Cade purchased it in Long Beach in ‘96. The matching rear plate is still in the trunk.

Comment

Just the bumper...last photo. Clean and simple. cheers, junior
                  sigpic
                  1954 C5 Hamilton car.

Comment

Originally posted by Noxnabaker View Post
                    If it was mine it wouldn't have a front bumper at all...
                    I knew someone would suggest that. It's a look adopted by many street rods. But in most of the United States it is illegal to not have same form of front bumper.

I'm surprised no one has mentioned a center overider that was formed to fit around the bullet.
                    In any event, I prefer them with the vertical bumpers alone.
                    "All attempts to 'rise above the issue' are simply an excuse to avoid it profitably." --Dick Gregory

Brad Johnson, SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
                    Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
                    sigpic'33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight, '53 Commander Starlight "Désirée"

Comment

Originally posted by mbstude View Post
                      It’s a real, original license plate. It was on the car when Dr. Cade purchased it in Long Beach in ‘96. The matching rear plate is still in the trunk.
                      In most, if not all, states, it is illegal to display two different number plates on one vehicle.
                      Gary L.
                      Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                      Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Picture number two gets my vote!
                        sigpic1957 Packard Clipper Country Sedan

"There's nothing stronger than the heart of a volunteer"
                        Lt. Col. Jimmy Doolittle
                        "I have a great memory for forgetting things" Number 1 son, Lee Chan

Comment

I think the towel rack bumper guards do give the '50 - '51 front ends, a lower and wider look, that does have some appeal.
                          sigpic

S2Deluxe = (5H - C3).

Comment

Matt, unless you are driving in an area where bumper over-riders are recommended, I would put the towel rack in the bathroom. If you parallel park frequently, then the verticals are a good idea and look good. Otherwise the car looks good regardless of the bumper setup.

Comment

Originally posted by WCP View Post
                              Matt, unless you are driving in an area where bumper over-riders are recommended, I would put the towel rack in the bathroom. If you parallel park frequently, then the verticals are a good idea and look good. Otherwise the car looks good regardless of the bumper setup.
                              I offered to send the overriders to a friend who's in the middle of building a house, suggesting that he could use them in the master bathroom. He said his wife doesn't get too excited about Studebaker parts in the house. I tried.

Comment

Working...
                              X