X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 8E45E
    replied
    Originally posted by David View Post
    I corresponded with a owner selling a 1963 Lark Daytona 4 spd. hardtop Skytop Blue mist back in 1987. It was in California. Restoration process pictures were sent to me in Ohio. The price was 4000 dollars. Ultimately a deal to buy the car was not stuck but I always wondered where it ended up. Sure would be nice to see it today. I recently searched some old boxes but couldn't find the photos or address of the contact. It was in a turning wheels classified ad though so it could be found there if I got ambitious. Sound familiar to anyone that may have bought the car?
    I wonder if this is the same car discussed a few years ago: https://forum.studebakerdriversclub....82375-lost-car

Craig

Leave a comment:

• r1lark
    replied
    Thanks David for the post! I'll look at the spreadsheet of all the Skytops that I have info on and see if I can pick this car out. Sounds familiar.

Unfortunately with the move to the new forum software, my nice table of known Skytops got all jumbled up, and this software doesn't "seem" to have all the table features of the previous software -- but I need to work on it more and if needed contact Clark for help. (Maybe I can find some time during our shelter at home period.....although since I have an essential job I'm working from home still.)

DISCLAIMER: I am not bashing the new forum software, it may have as much or more table functionality as the old forum.......I've not had enough time to spend yet to figure it out.
    Last edited by r1lark; 04-08-2020, 02:01 PM. Reason: spellin'

Leave a comment:

• David
    replied
    I corresponded with a owner selling a 1963 Lark Daytona 4 spd. hardtop Skytop Blue mist back in 1987. It was in California. Restoration process pictures were sent to me in Ohio. The price was 4000 dollars. Ultimately a deal to buy the car was not stuck but I always wondered where it ended up. Sure would be nice to see it today. I recently searched some old boxes but couldn't find the photos or address of the contact. It was in a turning wheels classified ad though so it could be found there if I got ambitious. Sound familiar to anyone that may have bought the car?

Leave a comment:

• r1lark
    replied
    Originally posted by studegary View Post
    At the Mecum auction in Florida, there was a 1972 Ventura two door sedan SkyRoof that was no sale at $24K. This GM SkyRoof is like the Studebaker Skytop.
    Here are some Ventura Skyroof (or SkyRoof, or Sky Roof) pictures from the "Other Vehicles with Fabric Folding Sunroofs" section of the Skytop website:
    Click image for larger version

Name:	other%2772PontiacVenturaIIpic1.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	69.6 KB
ID:	1724840

Name:	other%2771PontiacVenturaIISprintwithsunroof.jpg
Size:	46.7 KB
ID:	1724841

There are a few other Venture pics on the website. The website also has pics of similar sunroofs on Buicks, Novas, and AMCs. Take a Look!

Leave a comment:

• studegary
    replied
    At the Mecum auction in Florida, there was a 1972 Ventura two door sedan SkyRoof that was no sale at $24K. This GM SkyRoof is like the Studebaker Skytop. This was shortly after a nice 1963 Avanti sold for $19K.

Leave a comment:

replied
    I certainly applaud the research that Paul (r1lark) has undertaken re Skytops. He contacted me early in December trying to verify the existence of a Skytop I sold some years ago to Chuck Naugle. It actually survived in Chuck's collection until the liquidation of his stock. Paul actually came up with a couple pictures as it sat in Chuck's desert parking ground. Sort of hurt to see it sitting there with the windows broken out and the Skytop fabric all gone. It was perhaps the strangest Skytop of all- a '63 Daytona hardtop, six cylinder with a total of two options, a heater and a Skytop. The car had bench seats, a six cylinder engine with a three-speed tranny (no overdrive), blackwall tires, and hubcaps.
    In a way it was a sad ending because the car was very low mileage, ran and drove well. Chuck just wanted it for the roof.

Leave a comment:

• r1lark
    replied
    New on the Skytop Website - Links to Skytop TV Commercials

For your Christmas vacation enjoyment, a new page has been added to the Studebaker Skytop website containing links to vintage Studebaker TV commercials with Skytops. Enjoy!

Click on the Link: http://www.studebakerskytop.com/videos.html

If you know of other vintage or current videos with Skytops, let us know.

Leave a comment:

• daytonadave
    replied
    I really liked the 62 Daytona. It has a wrap around rear glass making a skinny "C" pillar. And the Stainless vertical trim makes the "A' pillar disappear. The car looks short. Much nicer Butt, too-less glitter.
    The 62 Radiator cover is better looking, too. Photos taken 1974. Where is my 62 Daytona?

Name:	3.jpg
Size:	71.0 KB
ID:	1724764Click image for larger version

Name:	4.jpg
Size:	82.9 KB
ID:	1724765Click image for larger version

Name:	5.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	46.8 KB
ID:	1724766Click image for larger version

Name:	410.jpg
Size:	75.1 KB
ID:	1724767

Leave a comment:

• studegary
    replied
    Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
    Pretty Lark, BUT:

HA, HA! SOME people's taste's! EVERYONE Knows that the '63 Daytona Hardtops were the prettiest Larks!

And what is with that Gray White, almost correct for a '64 Astra White Daytona?
    I agree that a 1963 Daytona hardtop is a nicer looking car (than a 1962, any model).

Leave a comment:

• StudeRich
    replied
    Originally posted by Studedude View Post
    Without doubt, the prettiest Lark on the face of the planet!
    Pretty Lark, BUT:

HA, HA! SOME people's taste's! EVERYONE Knows that the '63 Daytona Hardtops were the prettiest Larks!

And what is with that Gray White, almost correct for a '64 Astra White Daytona?

Leave a comment:

• Studedude
    replied
    Originally posted by r1lark View Post

This picture is of (at the time) Lee & Mary Blair's 1962 hardtop (62V 1752)...............now owned by Roger Patton.
    Without doubt, the prettiest Lark on the face of the planet!

Leave a comment:

• studegary
    replied
    Originally posted by Bill Pressler View Post
    As far as production numbers--I did production order research, with my wife, on Avanti-powered '63 Skytops. There were 628 Avanti-powered two-door sedans, four-door sedans, and two-door hardtops. Of those 628 production orders we reviewed, 14 had Skytops, 2.23% of production. While it might or might not be surmised that an R-powered car would be more likely to have a Skytop than a car with a 'lesser' engine, one might extrapolate that 2.23% number across all '63 four-door sedans, two-door sedans, and Daytona Hardtops to get an approximate number of '63 Skytops. Of course, that might not be relevant to '61 and '62 production estimates.
    Thank you. I would expect that Avanti powered cars would normally be "loaded" models and have a much higher percentage of Skytops than others. I expect that Skytop was a selected option on less than one percent of the models where it was offered.

Leave a comment:

• Bill Pressler
    replied
    As far as production numbers--I did production order research, with my wife, on Avanti-powered '63 Skytops. There were 628 Avanti-powered two-door sedans, four-door sedans, and two-door hardtops. Of those 628 production orders we reviewed, 14 had Skytops, 2.23% of production. While it might or might not be surmised that an R-powered car would be more likely to have a Skytop than a car with a 'lesser' engine, one might extrapolate that 2.23% number across all '63 four-door sedans, two-door sedans, and Daytona Hardtops to get an approximate number of '63 Skytops. Of course, that might not be relevant to '61 and '62 production estimates.

Leave a comment:

• r1lark
    replied
    Originally posted by daytonadave View Post
    1987 Int'l National Meet at Estes Park, CO. [ATTACH=CONFIG]77712[/ATTACH]

This picture is of (at the time) Lee & Mary Blair's 1962 hardtop (62V 1752)...............now owned by Roger Patton.

This was the very first Skytop that I ever saw, at the SDC National Meet in Springfield MO in the mid-1980s. I was stunned by this beautiful car - the paint, beautiful interior, the Skytop. And Roger has kept it in essentially the same beautiful condition.

Here is another pic:

Name:	04.jpg
Size:	56.1 KB
ID:	1724722

Leave a comment:

• Studebakercenteroforegon
    replied
    I know of a ‘62 six cylinder hardtop that is not on the list. I will get the info from the owner.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X