No announcement yet.

Studebaker Skytops - Registry Listing and Discussion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This one was White, 62 Hardtop. Funny thing is it was a show winner type car, then driven to death and left to rot like the one Bob was talking about.

Comment

1987 Int'l National Meet at Estes Park, CO. Click image for larger version

Name:	old pics scanned april 23 2016 019.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	81.7 KB
ID:	1724718

Comment

Thanks Dave. That's close, but I think it is not the same car. Any more shots of it?

Comment

Originally posted by studegary View Post
          Does anyone know how many were initially built? Without that number, it would be hard to know how we are doing on survivors. My 1961 came from Mass. and my 1963 came from here in the Mid-Hudson Valley of NY. The next closest one that I remember is in NJ. From my observations, I believe that a VERY small percentage of 1961-1963 Larks had Skytops. Perhaps there were other areas of the country, than where I frequented, that had more Skytops. For example, I remember more Packard Hardtops and Packard Hawks in this area and they are only for one year (1958) and only 1263 total in the World.
          Does that flamingo '61 Lark Regal you mentioned here, http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...light=flamingo still survive?

Craig

Comment

Originally posted by 8E45E View Post
            Does that flamingo '61 Lark Regal you mentioned here, http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...light=flamingo still survive?

Craig
            Thanks, Craig. That Skytop did not come to mind now. What I posted more than ten years ago is the last that I knew of it.

From the 2008 post; When the 1961s first came out, a guy that I later worked with wanted one. He wanted a Regal four door, Skytop in
            Flamingo. He got Knight's Garage in Wappingers Falls, NY (where he lived until his recent demise) to order it for him. It took quite a while, but he got the car. Maybe his was built after much demand and the letter that Dwain posted. He kept the car for many years. The last that I heard, the car was sitting derelict in upstate NY. At least it still survived.
            Last edited by studegary; 12-22-2018, 06:39 PM. Reason: missing upper case
            Gary L.
            Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
            Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

I know of a ‘62 six cylinder hardtop that is not on the list. I will get the info from the owner.

Comment

Originally posted by daytonadave View Post
                1987 Int'l National Meet at Estes Park, CO. [ATTACH=CONFIG]77712[/ATTACH]

This picture is of (at the time) Lee & Mary Blair's 1962 hardtop (62V 1752)...............now owned by Roger Patton.

This was the very first Skytop that I ever saw, at the SDC National Meet in Springfield MO in the mid-1980s. I was stunned by this beautiful car - the paint, beautiful interior, the Skytop. And Roger has kept it in essentially the same beautiful condition.

Here is another pic:
                Click image for larger version

Name:	04.jpg
Size:	56.1 KB
ID:	1724722
                Paul
                Winston-Salem, NC
                Visit The Studebaker Skytop Registry website at: www.studebakerskytop.com

Comment

As far as production numbers--I did production order research, with my wife, on Avanti-powered '63 Skytops. There were 628 Avanti-powered two-door sedans, four-door sedans, and two-door hardtops. Of those 628 production orders we reviewed, 14 had Skytops, 2.23% of production. While it might or might not be surmised that an R-powered car would be more likely to have a Skytop than a car with a 'lesser' engine, one might extrapolate that 2.23% number across all '63 four-door sedans, two-door sedans, and Daytona Hardtops to get an approximate number of '63 Skytops. Of course, that might not be relevant to '61 and '62 production estimates.
                  Bill Pressler
                  Kent, OH
                  (formerly Greenville, PA)
                  Currently owned: 1966 Cruiser, Timberline Turquoise, 26K miles
                  Formerly owned: 1963 Lark Daytona Skytop R1, Ermine White
                  1964 Daytona Hardtop, Strato Blue
                  1966 Daytona Sports Sedan, Niagara Blue Mist
                  All are in Australia now

Comment

Originally posted by Bill Pressler View Post
                    As far as production numbers--I did production order research, with my wife, on Avanti-powered '63 Skytops. There were 628 Avanti-powered two-door sedans, four-door sedans, and two-door hardtops. Of those 628 production orders we reviewed, 14 had Skytops, 2.23% of production. While it might or might not be surmised that an R-powered car would be more likely to have a Skytop than a car with a 'lesser' engine, one might extrapolate that 2.23% number across all '63 four-door sedans, two-door sedans, and Daytona Hardtops to get an approximate number of '63 Skytops. Of course, that might not be relevant to '61 and '62 production estimates.
                    Thank you. I would expect that Avanti powered cars would normally be "loaded" models and have a much higher percentage of Skytops than others. I expect that Skytop was a selected option on less than one percent of the models where it was offered.
                    Gary L.
                    Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968

Comment

Originally posted by r1lark View Post

This picture is of (at the time) Lee & Mary Blair's 1962 hardtop (62V 1752)...............now owned by Roger Patton.
                      Without doubt, the prettiest Lark on the face of the planet!
                      sigpic
                      Dave Lester

Comment

Originally posted by Studedude View Post
                        Without doubt, the prettiest Lark on the face of the planet!
                        Pretty Lark, BUT:

HA, HA! SOME people's taste's! EVERYONE Knows that the '63 Daytona Hardtops were the prettiest Larks!

And what is with that Gray White, almost correct for a '64 Astra White Daytona?
                        StudeRich
                        Second Generation Stude Driver,
                        Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
                          Pretty Lark, BUT:

HA, HA! SOME people's taste's! EVERYONE Knows that the '63 Daytona Hardtops were the prettiest Larks!

And what is with that Gray White, almost correct for a '64 Astra White Daytona?
                          I agree that a 1963 Daytona hardtop is a nicer looking car (than a 1962, any model).
                          Gary L.
                          Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968

Comment

I really liked the 62 Daytona. It has a wrap around rear glass making a skinny "C" pillar. And the Stainless vertical trim makes the "A' pillar disappear. The car looks short. Much nicer Butt, too-less glitter.
                            The 62 Radiator cover is better looking, too. Photos taken 1974. Where is my 62 Daytona?
                            Click image for larger version

Name:	3.jpg
Size:	71.0 KB
ID:	1724764Click image for larger version

Name:	4.jpg
Size:	82.9 KB
ID:	1724765Click image for larger version

Name:	5.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	46.8 KB
ID:	1724766Click image for larger version

Name:	410.jpg
Size:	75.1 KB
ID:	1724767

Comment

New on the Skytop Website - Links to Skytop TV Commercials

For your Christmas vacation enjoyment, a new page has been added to the Studebaker Skytop website containing links to vintage Studebaker TV commercials with Skytops. Enjoy!

Click on the Link: http://www.studebakerskytop.com/videos.html

If you know of other vintage or current videos with Skytops, let us know.
                              Paul
                              Winston-Salem, NC
                              Visit The Studebaker Skytop Registry website at: www.studebakerskytop.com

Comment

I certainly applaud the research that Paul (r1lark) has undertaken re Skytops. He contacted me early in December trying to verify the existence of a Skytop I sold some years ago to Chuck Naugle. It actually survived in Chuck's collection until the liquidation of his stock. Paul actually came up with a couple pictures as it sat in Chuck's desert parking ground. Sort of hurt to see it sitting there with the windows broken out and the Skytop fabric all gone. It was perhaps the strangest Skytop of all- a '63 Daytona hardtop, six cylinder with a total of two options, a heater and a Skytop. The car had bench seats, a six cylinder engine with a three-speed tranny (no overdrive), blackwall tires, and hubcaps.
                                In a way it was a sad ending because the car was very low mileage, ran and drove well. Chuck just wanted it for the roof.
                                Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia.
                                '64 Daytona Wagonaire, '64 Avanti R-1, Museum R-4 engine, '72 Gravely Model 430 with Onan engine

Comment

Working...
                                X