Transmission colors ??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Transmission colors ??

What were the paint colors for standard transmissions from 1952-1966 ?

Always the same as the Engine and Bell Housing. From the Fan to the Trans. tail was all Painted at one time.

See Post #5 Here:

http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...t=Engine+paint
    Last edited by StudeRich; 12-20-2018, 07:11 PM.
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

So... let me get a bit more specific. I just replaced a toasted T86/OD tranny in my 53' 2R6 with a car transmission. I can see turquoise paint on the tranny. I'd like to know what years for that color. I'm attempting to purchase the correct drive pinion gear for the speedo. My R/A is 4.55 and I've previously ruined that small fiber gear before the swap. I don't have all the parts' books for all years.... so....: 4.55 R/A and 16.5 X 16 inch tires. Any book help ?

Comment

Turquoise was used on LA assembled 1955 cars, and on all 1956 and 1957 cars. There is a date code stamped on the transmission.

JT

Comment

Your '53 was olive. Turquoise was used 1956-57. I would think looking up a Champ Truck with T86 and 4.55 gears would be the one close to what you have and would show the part number you need.

Comment

Yes ... the tranny replaced was olive colored. I couldn't tell if it was original or the freshly painted (and 245 engine) Olive paint. I do know it had the relay box on the rear, lower driver's side for Solenoid/Governor connections. The replacement tranny is definitely original turquoise, what's left of the paint. I was thinking to myself putting a Commander engine from the turquoise tranny pinion & gear listing (56-57'-which I do not have), or now nicely suggested Champ truck numbers (which I have parts' books for 62' model year only.....or my truck disc...

Comment

I would use the '56-'57 Car Speedometer Pinion Gear to match the proper Drive Gear already inside the Transmission.
              The problem will be trying to guess the Pinion needed to match the Larger than Car Tires on the Truck.

The 16.5 number you post does not compute.
              Trucks use numbers like: LT215/85R16 (30.4 inch, LT225/75R16 (29.3") (approx.) Tires, old number: 700X16 etc. type numbers and must be a LOT larger than 16.5 Inches Dia.

So, whatever Dia. those tires are, they are not listed in the CAR Chassis Parts Catalog.

Measure the Dia. and try to match them to some Tire size and Pinion that is also compatible with the 4.55/4.56 Axle and Drive Gear tooth count, or you will destroy ANOTHER ONE.
              Last edited by StudeRich; 12-21-2018, 01:46 PM.
              StudeRich

Comment

Can verify that 1955 LA cars used the dark blue, owned about twenty of them and never saw a turquoise engine.

Comment

jackb, on Engine Colors, you are not reading the linked Post in this string, on Post #2.
                  StudeRich

Comment

I now know that 56-57' was the only turquoise tranny color (OEM). My tires are 6 ply, bias Tornel (Mexico) 16.50 X 16LT. They are 29.25 tall. Now if someone could get me the T86/OD speedo gear for a 4.55 R/A and 16 inch tires(auto not truck)....I think I can set my sights on purchasing said gear... I have stripped a 677744 part in the other tranny..... That's original truck gear....
                    Last edited by jackb; 12-22-2018, 11:12 AM.

Comment

Here is a Tire size converter; but your size still does not exist, so you have to get rid of that 16.5 whatever that is, I doubt it is 16 and a half inches wide, if it is, it's time to trash them.

https://www.tyresizecalculator.com/t...-metric-inches

Your Diameter does come out to be the same as this posted in #7: LT225/75R16 (29.3")

Next step would be convert that to a Car tire size, and then find a matching CAR Tire that size in the car Pinion Chart, probably impossible.

Car tires on Studebakers get up to about 27 Inches tall like this one comparable to a 7.10X15 Car Tire:
                      https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires...romSurvey=true
                      Last edited by StudeRich; 12-22-2018, 04:11 PM.
                      StudeRich

Comment

Working...
                      X