Going to Australia

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Going to Australia

I have had on my bucket list since I first met Ian Mackellar in 2001 at the Minnesota International of going to visit, and this next Easter is their International meet. I just got my first pass port so I can now move ahead with plans. Since 2001 Ian has come over for our meets and also a year ago we made the pure stock races, it would take all my fingers and toes to count the times he and his family have come and stayed with us, so now it is my time to check what it is like down under.
    Most members that make our meets have met Ian at one time or another and know he is a real Studebaker guy and to me a real friend. Looking forward to the trip and meeting people that I have sold cars and parts to over the years, some I have met on their trip over here but still more to meet. If things go well and I feel well I might then plan on New Zealand the next year. Since the meet in Tacoma and the hard time I had getting around I figured if I want to make this trip I needed to loose weight so as of today I am down 30 lbs and figure come Easter to down around 50lbs. I am really starting to feel like a different person and at 77 years old it is important.
    Candbstudebakers
    Castro Valley,
    California

Excellent! It's about time, Bob. Congrats on the weight loss also.

I've been to Sydney on biz, but never for fun. It's on our bucket list also.

Say hi to Ian for me.

(You probably know this already, but you'll need a visa in addition to your passport)
    Dick Steinkamp
    Bellingham, WA

Comment

Bob, I'm really thrilled for you. Sounds like an adventure of a lifetime. Great news on the weight loss also. You must be feeling pretty terrific. I've only lost 10 and I'm ecstatic.
      Just be careful down there, you just might fall in love with the place and we'll never see you again. But, truly, fantastic news for you. Have a great time.
      sals54

Comment

If you see my old Avanti II.....give her pinch for me!
        Lou Van Anne
        62 Champ
        64 R2 GT Hawk
        79 Avanti II

Comment

Enjoy the trip. I hope you have a fantastic time.
          Australia is one of the few places I might get on a plane for, but it is not likely to happen.
          sigpic

"In the heart of Arkansas."
          Searcy, Arkansas
          1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.
          1952 2R pickup

Comment

Have a fun and safe trip
            Milt

1947 Champion (owned since 1967)
            1961 Hawk 4-speed
            1967 Avanti
            1961 Lark 2 door
            1988 Avanti Convertible

Member of SDC since 1973

Comment

Originally posted by candbstudebakers View Post
              I have had on my bucket list since I first met Ian Mackellar in 2001 at the Minnesota International of going to visit, and this next Easter is their International meet. I just got my first pass port so I can now move ahead with plans. Since 2001 Ian has come over for our meets and also a year ago we made the pure stock races, it would take all my fingers and toes to count the times he and his family have come and stayed with us, so now it is my time to check what it is like down under.
              Most members that make our meets have met Ian at one time or another and know he is a real Studebaker guy and to me a real friend. Looking forward to the trip and meeting people that I have sold cars and parts to over the years, some I have met on their trip over here but still more to meet. If things go well and I feel well I might then plan on New Zealand the next year. Since the meet in Tacoma and the hard time I had getting around I figured if I want to make this trip I needed to loose weight so as of today I am down 30 lbs and figure come Easter to down around 50lbs. I am really starting to feel like a different person and at 77 years old it is important.
              Hey Bob, that's great. I have been there twice and you won't find a more hospitable bunch. Worse part is the long flight- about 15 hours non-stop from SFO to Sydney and about 18 hours if you are going to Melbourne (stop at Sydney). Unless you are springing for business class, the more weight you lose, the better you will fit those small economy seats. When we were in Melbourne we caught a chapter meeting in Melbourne and had a great time. Mrs Schwerkolt told us we should go to "Tassie" (Tasmania) and we did. Also a great experience, much different topography from mainland Australia. Back in those days it was easy to change flights and such so rather than go back to Melbourne we just flew from Tasmania to Sydney and a few days later flew Sydney to Honolulu, spent a few days then flew to LA, had a short layover then flew in to Washington Dulles.

Yes on New Zealand. Non-stop from San Francisco is about 13 hours. Friendly people there too and a lot of beautiful country. When I went to Auckland years ago I had a very long day- Washington DC (Reagan National) to JFK, layover for several hours, flight to Los Angeles, several hour layover then 16 hours on a Pan Am 747SP. Also, New Zealand may not look big on a map, but it's a long way from Auckland to Christchurch and further south.

If you're renting a car, remember that both countries drive on the other side from what we are used to. Going straight is no problem, but right turns can scare you.
              Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia.
              '64 Daytona Wagonaire, '64 Avanti R-1, Museum R-4 engine, '72 Gravely Model 430 with Onan engine

Comment

Bob,
                Having met and dined several times with you, we are truly happy for you.
                Enjoy your new life with the poundage reduction. I am sure it will keep getting better for you.
                A big congrats on Australia and have a Merry Christmas and holiday season!
                Cheers, Bill & Sonja

Comment

Bob, I hope you have a great time. I would love to go myself some time, but the long flight concerns me (first-class would probably make it much more comfortable). Perhaps Ian can find you an Aussie lady to bring home with you, it would make the return trip much more enjoyable!
                  sigpic
                  In the middle of MinneSTUDEa.

Comment

Bob,

Do you have an extra large suitcase? Do you need somebody to carry your bags...maybe be your driver???

I have been to New Zealand and highly recommend it, Australia is still on the bucket list though.

As for the weight loss, good on yeh!!! I think everybody here is proud of you for doing it. I lost 60 over the last 16 months with Keto and man do I feel good. Once 20 were off, I actually started to feel like working out and it has become a bit vicious circle but in a good way. What ever diet you are using, make sure it is one that you can live with for the remainder of your life.

Ken Buchanan

Comment

Remember the seasons are reversed. It's summer down under.
                      sigpic1966 Daytona (The First One)
                      1950 Champion Convertible
                      1950 Champion 4Dr
                      1955 President 2 Dr Hardtop
                      1957 Thunderbird

Comment

Good on you

Originally posted by thunderations View Post
                        Remember the seasons are reversed. It's summer down under.
                        Good on you, I'm sure you are going to enjoy your trip down under.

Comment

Hope you have a wonderful trip!
                          Home of the famous Mr. Ed!
                          K.I.S.S. Keep It Simple Studebaker!
                          Ron Smith
                          Where the heck is Fawn Lodge, CA?

Comment

Bob: That is great news! You are setting an example for me. Ian is absolutely a prince of a guy. Please say hello to him for me.
                            Now, I need to get started on that weight loss program like you . . .
                            Nick

Comment

I hope you get to see all those cars you sold over the years that went 'down under' once again!

Craig

Comment

Working...
                              X