Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Need help understanding built sheet - What does "DOVE' mean in Model and Body Type?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need help understanding built sheet - What does "DOVE' mean in Model and Body Type?

My Studebaker pal just got the build sheet for his 1955 President and we've been trying to understand all the entries. In the Model and Body Type box, it says "6H Y6 DOVE". I hate to show my ignorance by asking what "DOVE" refers to. But I figure someone here will probably know...and then I can show him how smart I am. Also his paint code is 2650 Ranch-Black. I am not seeing that paint code on the 1955 Studebaker color chart. Were there additional color codes...perhaps mid-year? Thanks
    Fosco
    Las Vegas Nevada

sigpic

DOVE is the code name for that model to use for Western Union messages to save on word count (dollars).

6H-Y6 is a (late) Ultra Vista President State four door sedan.
    Gary L.
    Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
    Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

For those youngsters: Western Union telegrams were like hand delivered texts, not instant but sometimes pretty darn quick depending on where the delivery boy came from. They also charged by the word!

Comment

Yes it could be a Spring Color, I am guessing Rancho Red and Black Two Tone Combo, is or was the Car Red and Black?

My Dupont 1955 Color Chart shows only their Color Codes and NO 2600's at all.
        StudeRich
        Second Generation Stude Driver,
        Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

Originally posted by studegary View Post
          DOVE is the code name for that model to use for Western Union messages to save on word count (dollars).

6H-Y6 is a (late) Ultra Vista President State four door sedan.
          That's fascinating. Was there a different code for each model? By chance is there a list someplace of those Western Union codes?
          Fosco
          Las Vegas Nevada

sigpic

Comment

Yes. Indeed this car was once red and black. It's two tone blue now...but I think he might consider returning it to it's original colors...though the blue is very attractive. thank you everyone for the responses. My friend's going to think I'm wicked smart.
            Fosco
            Las Vegas Nevada

sigpic

Comment

Western Union actually charged by the character (letter) count. A whole terminology called telegraphic language (not unlike texting abbreviations) was developed to reduce the length of telegrams. The military had similar abbreviations for their internal message system (eg, UNODIR = unless otherwise directed).

The Studebaker telegraph codes are listed on one of the front pages of each body parts book. They changed over time and depended on the model lineup each year.
              Skip Lackie

Comment

Originally posted by Skip Lackie View Post
                Western Union actually charged by the character (letter) count. A whole terminology called telegraphic language (not unlike texting abbreviations) was developed to reduce the length of telegrams. The military had similar abbreviations for their internal message system (eg, UNODIR = unless otherwise directed).

The Studebaker telegraph codes are listed on one of the front pages of each body parts book. They changed over time and depended on the model lineup each year.
                Skip, you are correct. And the military used 3 letter "Q" and "Z" codes which could represent an entire sentence. For example, "QRU" meant " I am finished sending message traffic".
                Ed
                Ed Sallia
                Dundee, OR

Sol Lucet Omnibus

Comment

To give an example using the 1947-1950 body parts book: The radiator core in your customer's 1947 Commander needs to be replaced; he needs the car urgently. You want to send the message "How soon can you ship one 517890 Climatizer core? Give definite delivery date. Wire immediately, urgent." Your telegram would start with a one-word code name for the dealer's name and address, and the message above would read SHACK A JARTUO DRAMA WHEAT . Hopefully later in the day a reply would come back AIREXED , meaning "shipped air express".
                  Bill Jarvis

Comment

I have a bunch of the codes in the front pages of my parts book. Ill try to take a picture tonight

Comment

I believe some clarification is required. The code words in the front of the parts book are for parts only and do NOT address an identification for the actual cars. Car i.d. code words were sent separately to dealers at the beginning of the model year. Specifically the codes in '55 would identify the model and body style plus the type of transmission but not the color. For example "DOVE" was a President State 4-door with manual transmission and overdrive.
                      I have a complete listing of all the model code names, there were a total of 72. As for the paint codes 2650 refers to Rancho Red lower and Velvet Black upper. I also have several of the actual telegrams in which the codes were used. Incidentally, this telegraph coding system back to the horse drawn era.
                      Richard Quinn
                      Editor emeritus: Antique Studebaker Review

Comment

"DORY" was a '55 President hardtop with 3 speed O/D trans.

Comment

This is all very interesting. Now my friend Dan is asking about the "Destination" code...22. I am encouraging him to get an account set up and join the forum himself...I know he'll be amazed at the speed and quality of responses to obscure questions. Thank you again to everyone who answered.
                          Fosco
                          Las Vegas Nevada

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Studebaker Wheel View Post
                            I believe some clarification is required. The code words in the front of the parts book are for parts only and do NOT address an identification for the actual cars. Car i.d. code words were sent separately to dealers at the beginning of the model year. Specifically the codes in '55 would identify the model and body style plus the type of transmission but not the color. For example "DOVE" was a President State 4-door with manual transmission and overdrive.
                            I have a complete listing of all the model code names, there were a total of 72. As for the paint codes 2650 refers to Rancho Red lower and Velvet Black upper. I also have several of the actual telegrams in which the codes were used. Incidentally, this telegraph coding system back to the horse drawn era.
                            Thanks Richard. Good info. At one time I had a list of the some of the model code names, and my feeble mind confused them with the parts codes in the body parts book.
                            Skip Lackie

Comment

Working...
                            X