Rockne with HARD TOP in Cuba?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rockne with HARD TOP in Cuba?

Recently posted to a Rockne group on Facebook. It DOES have correct Rockne fender marker lights but, represented as having it's "original" hard top! https://www.facebook.com/groups/1177...58640740863383
    Is my skepticism misplaced?

Click image for larger version

Name:	cuban hard top.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	109.6 KB
ID:	1759839 Click image for larger version

Name:	cuban.jpg
Size:	97.5 KB
ID:	1759840 Serial Number 28054.
    Last edited by rockne10; 12-08-2018, 02:39 PM.
    "All attempts to 'rise above the issue' are simply an excuse to avoid it profitably." --Dick Gregory

Brad Johnson, SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
    Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
    sigpic'33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight, '53 Commander Starlight "Désirée"

Appears to be made of fiberglass.

Craig

Comment

Originally posted by 8E45E View Post
      Appears to be made of fiberglass.

Craig
      Owner claims it's original.
      "All attempts to 'rise above the issue' are simply an excuse to avoid it profitably." --Dick Gregory

Brad Johnson, SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
      Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
      sigpic'33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight, '53 Commander Starlight "Désirée"

Comment

That's not a Cuban license plate.
        Skip Lackie

Comment

Looks like a resto-rod. The license plate says "Cuba" on it. Might be from the era of the car, not a current one.
          Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands

Comment

Can't open Flakebook link....
            Don't suppose the CUBA designation could be a county?
            The only difference between death and taxes is that death does not grow worse every time Congress convenes. - Will Rogers

Comment

Not sure this is worth any more discussion. Am not a Cuba license plate expert, but all the Cuban plates I've seen were about the same size and proportions of post-1955 North American plates, which were set at 12" x 6" by a 1954 treaty. AFAIK, the only jurisdictions in the Western Hemisphere that routinely employ(ed) the long European-sized plates were some of the British and French territories and ex-British Caribbean island nations. Checked the license plate club's archives and no earlier Cuban plate looked like that. If I'm wrong, somebody correct me.
              Skip Lackie

Comment

It appears that they are indeed Cuba plates on the car. The old plates are a number of different colors, but the later plates look like the one on the car.
                I did a search for diplomatic plates of Cuba. This style is all over it.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4418.jpg
Size:	177.1 KB
ID:	1724614
                sals54

Comment

Now then, in terms of the car itself, it looks to me like a later model roof was added to the car at some point in its past. The soft top probably gave way decades ago under the sun and storms of Cuba. Perhaps it was sold to the current owner under the guise of having been original, but I doubt it is. Not too many of the Cuban cars are original anything anymore. It's very romantic to think of all the glorious 50s car down there, but they've had to do anything and everything to those cars to keep them on the road. Without American imports for the last 58 or so years, cars are a rare commodity. They are forced to drive what they already have. I'd bet a dollar that they'd rather have a 2018 Honda or Ford instead of what they've got. Oh, the glories of Castro.
                  sals54

Comment

Sal-
                    Thanks. My data base didn't show the 2013 series.
                    Skip Lackie

Comment

Originally posted by Skip Lackie View Post
                      Sal-
                      Thanks. My data base didn't show the 2013 series.
                      Yeah, I figured. Probably cuz most folks are searching for the old style plates. They're known for the style and colors. Its pretty cool to see the variety of plates on such a small Island country with so few cars.
                      Last edited by sals54; 12-10-2018, 06:56 PM.
                      sals54

Comment

Working...
                      X