Dana 44 information

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dana 44 information

I was just getting some dimensions off the Dana 44 drawings and thought I'd share a few facts. The drawing shows the correct location for the tags and states one gets a yellow paint daub. Also, the pinion is down in relation to the spring pad 1° on std rear ends and 2° on Avanti and R3/R4 rear ends. Here is the tag information.
    Attached Files
    james r pepper

Jim, I worked at Machine Service Industrial in Green Bay for nearly 10 years in the H. D. industrial division (paper machines, car crushers, 5000 hp electric motors, big marine systems, etc.) any idea why the degree difference? Was the engine / transmission installation angle different from the other Studebaker power trains? We were with Dana-Spicer, G.W.B. and Voith supplying-supporting the industrial, marine and steel markets. Thanks for the data....gives me something else to inspect on 63R1089 this winter. Regards Sherm / Green Bay

Comment

Originally posted by firestoper 25 View Post
      Jim, I worked at Machine Service Industrial in Green Bay for nearly 10 years in the H. D. industrial division (paper machines, car crushers, 5000 hp electric motors, big marine systems, etc.) any idea why the degree difference? Was the engine / transmission installation angle different from the other Studebaker power trains? We were with Dana-Spicer, G.W.B. and Voith supplying-supporting the industrial, marine and steel markets. Thanks for the data....gives me something else to inspect on 63R1089 this winter. Regards Sherm / Green Bay
      My guess is the higher power engines would produce more axle windup. An extra degree would ensure proper alignment under load.
      james r pepper

Comment

Makes sense and when you factor in the traction bar system seems they were working on the issue. Unrelated question, what is the reason for the cast iron spacer under the 2 bbl. carb on the mid 50's Studebaker truck V-8's? It always puzzles me and then I forget to ask for the details. Regards Sherm

Comment

I don't know f it was for more power or to keep the carburetor a little further away from manifold heat.
          james r pepper

Comment

Originally posted by firestoper 25 View Post
            Unrelated question, what is the reason for the cast iron spacer under the 2 bbl. carb on the mid 50's Studebaker truck V-8's? It always puzzles me and then I forget to ask for the details. Regards Sherm
            Off topic is how we roll here, Sherm.

Yes, adding plenum height via a spacer is a common race tuning procedure. Increased intake height often increases horsepower. Anyone who's tried to make more horsepower from the Stude V8 in a C/K/Avanti is immediately conflicted by the necessity of a high rise intake manifold pushing the carb through the hood versus preserving the sleek style which caused most of us to love Studes in the first place.

IIRC, aren't car and truck engines mounted at different angles? Thus the manifold carb mounting pad has to position the carb level. The truck spacer is taller than would be necessary just to change the angle, so there's something else in the function. Are truck 4-bbl intakes machined at a different angle than those for cars?

jack vines
            PackardV8

Comment

Working...
            X