No announcement yet.

Did Studebaker Offer Continental Kits?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Did Studebaker Offer Continental Kits?

My neighbor sent me this link that shows a 1948 Commander 4 door with a continental kit, and I don't ever recall seeing one offered as a Studebaker accessory. I think it looks bad, and I can't imagine a continental kit looking good on any Studebaker. The rear license plate also just looks so wrong.
    Fix those 2 items, and it's a very nice looking car.

https://mohave.craigslist.org/cto/d/...759227185.html

No Studebaker did not sell those (that's a good thing!) but plenty of Aftermarket Co's did, mostly for '53 and later Cars though.

That looks like a very nice '48 Commander otherwise.

I probably would not have chosen Red Carpets for replacements and a Bright Green rebuilt steering Wheel though.
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

Maybe it was Santa's Stude?
      Dan White
      64 R1 GT
      64 R2 GT
      58 C Cab
      57 Broadmoor (Marvin)

Comment

Just my opinion, but these early post-war Commander and Land Cruisers were probably some of the best automobiles offered in the U.S. This particular car has a collection of photos apparently not taken on the same day specifically for the advertisement. Note the lack of fog lights in one pic, then they appear in another. Same for the front bumper guards, and wheel covers.

If (IF), the work described in the ad is anywhere near as good and well done as claimed in the ad...this could be a deal for anyone attracted to this car, who values the craftsmanship, and the era as our nation emerged from the trauma of WWII, and began to celebrate victory with enormous leaps in technology and optimism toward the future. I see no accessory that can't be removed with a few simple tools by any future owner with different tastes. If it were mine, one of the first things I would do is to build a new set of spark plug wires that are of the correct length. (a very small nitpick)

My caution on such sales/vehicles... why the sale? What's really motivating the sale? In absolutely every vehicle I have examined (Studebaker or other), there's always something lurking. If this one has as little or no rust as described, then there's something else. Could be just the financial predicament of the owner, but on this vehicle there's the planar suspension, transverse-mounted front leaf spring, lever shocks, drum brakes, manual/electric overdrive transmission, tapered rear axle...dozens of maintenance requiring wear parts that could demand attention from an owner lacking the understanding, knowledge, or desire to deal with them.

For the right person, with the attitude/aptitude...this could be a steal. You couldn't restore and paint one for the price.
        Last edited by jclary; 12-03-2018, 07:37 AM.
        John Clary
        Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

Originally posted by jclary View Post
          Just my opinion, but these early post-war Commander and Land Cruisers were probably some of the best automobiles offered in the U.S. This particular car has a collection of photos apparently not taken on the same day specifically for the advertisement. Note the lack of fog lights in one pic, then they appear in another. Same for the front bumper guards, and wheel covers.

If (IF), the work described in the ad is anywhere near as good and well done as claimed in the ad...this could be a deal for anyone attracted to this car, who values the craftsmanship, and the era as our nation emerged from the trauma of WWII, and began to celebrate victory with enormous leaps in technology and optimism toward the future. I see no accessory that can't be removed with a few simple tools by any future owner with different tastes. If it were mine, one of the first things I would do is to build a new set of spark plug wires that are of the correct length. (a very small nitpick)

My caution on such sales/vehicles... why the sale? What's really motivating the sale? In absolutely every vehicle I have examined (Studebaker or other), there's always something lurking. If this one has as little or no rust as described, then there's something else. Could be just the financial predicament of the owner, but on this vehicle there's the planar suspension, transverse-mounted front leaf spring, lever shocks, drum brakes, manual/electric overdrive transmission, tapered rear axle...dozens of maintenance requiring wear parts that could demand attention from an owner lacking the understanding, knowledge, or desire to deal with them.

For the right person, with the attitude/aptitude...this could be a steal. You couldn't restore and paint one for the price.
          In the description he states that picture number 2 is not the same car.
          Jerry Forrester
          Forrester's Chrome
          Douglasville, Georgia

See all of Buttercup's pictures at https://imgur.com/a/tBjGzTk

Comment

Originally posted by Jerry Forrester View Post
            In the description he states that picture number 2 is not the same car.
            Thanks, Jerry. Reading comprehension...attention to detail...my failure.
            Too early in the morning...my excuse.
            John Clary
            Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

Aaaaaaaaaaand....it's gone.
              Mike Davis
              Regional Manager, North Carolina
              1964 Champ 8E7-122 "Stuey"

Comment

Originally posted by StudeNewby View Post
                Aaaaaaaaaaand....it's gone.
                Guess I should have posted a picture of it to show what not to do to a Studebaker.

Comment

Originally posted by TWChamp View Post
                  .........what not to do to a Studebaker.
                  I've been building a file for a couple years on this topic...

http://www.studebaker-info.org/Uniq/.../uniq1111.html
                  64 GT Hawk (K7)
                  1970 Avanti (R3)

Comment

Originally posted by 64V-K7 View Post

It's good you're keeping a file, but I didn't see anything that could top the original factory designs.

Hopefully someone saved a picture of the 48 Commander, so you can add it to your file.

Comment

Wow, the good, the bad and the ugly!
                      Don Wilson, Centralia, WA

40 Champion 4 door*
                      50 Champion 2 door*
                      53 Commander K Auto*
                      53 Commander K overdrive*
                      55 President Speedster
                      62 GT 4Speed*
                      63 Avanti R1*
                      64 Champ 1/2 ton

* Formerly owned

Comment

That's neat Bob, there actually ARE a very few that maybe should have been done, but certainly a LOT that shouldn't!

I see my Son's "X" '57 Golden Hawk 6104281 in there, that he sold a few years ago.

It was an interesting Car and definitely had a "DIFFERENT" look about it.
                        All of the '62-'64 GT Hawk Trim was installed by someone in perfect NOS condition complete with Tail Light Housings and all with Fins removed, it even had a button snapped Sportster Black Vinyl Cover for the back seat area. It had Tierra Gold '57 Paint and a full flow new replacement 289 Engine.
                        Last edited by StudeRich; 12-04-2018, 04:42 PM.
                        StudeRich
                        Second Generation Stude Driver,
                        Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

I'm all too familier with one of those. The "Fake Stude Engine"; that's my dads car! (it's on the right in my signature line)

Here's another you can add. I saw it this summer, my dad hated it but I like it.
                          Click image for larger version

Name:	20180825_115640.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	79.5 KB
ID:	1724530Click image for larger version

Name:	20180825_115955.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	84.1 KB
ID:	1724531Yea, I don't know why this site turns my pics upside down.
                          sigpic

Comment

For those interested you might like to review my Almanac column in TW for March 1996 which covers the topic of Continental kits on Studebakers with plenty of photos. I have lots of aftermarket ads for these kits for various years.
                            Richard Quinn
                            Editor emeritus: Antique Studebaker Review

Comment

Working...
                            X