A few more Cuban S-P sightings...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A few more Cuban S-P sightings...

Going to link another Facebook post here...Went to Cuba again Nov 19-29, saw some Studes and one Packard (and tons of other old iron including things like a Henry J and a '58 Edsel sedan); even rode in a Stude this trip, the orange-and-black '56 Hawk seen in some of the pix in the post. I'll probably post some more shots on FB at some point, showing some of the other stuff seen including several wild-and-wonderful conversion jobs...

S.

https://www.facebook.com/steve.tourn...61073995765057

Thanks! A lot of interesting modifications, but at least they are still in use.
    Gary L.
    Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
    Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

A very interesting use of random Parts!

The '57 Pres. Classic looks like it has '51 Ford Tail Light Lenses (Center) and '55 Chev. Tail light Lenses upside down, fitted into the backup light Lens space probably for Turn signals. It also has a '58 Scotsman Grille.

Then there is the '55 or '56 Packard Clipper with a hand formed complete front end.
      StudeRich
      Second Generation Stude Driver,
      Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

You should see some of the other stuff (and maybe you will; I intend posting some non-Stude pix to FB as well). Couple examples: a 90s-looking 4-door pickup truck (Mitsubishi, maybe?) with a tailgate stamped BUICK...because the whole front clip was from a 56-7 Buick. Shot a closeup of the fender-to-door join, which looked like something on a new car. A thing that looked like a tall Subaru Baja from the side...but which from the front was a late-40s Plymouth. Two different early 50s Cadillacs and another late-40s Plymouth made into station wagons. And the nicest vehicle, of any vintage, I saw on the trip...a Chevy truck, circa 1952 or so, probably a two-ton from the look of the wheels, made into a gorgeous Suburbanesque sort of tour bus. This thing had to have been finished no more than weeks earlier: it was absolutely mint, as nice as any classic truck I have ever seen back here in Ontario...

These trips are threatening to become annual. Which'd be fine with me...

Comment

Steve, perhaps you can start a Studebaker club down there and then spearhead an international Studebaker meet down there in the near future? January 2019 would be nice.
          sigpic
          In the middle of MinneSTUDEa.

Comment

Yeah RIGHT!
            StudeRich
            Second Generation Stude Driver,
            Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

That '57 looks really nice to me. Those Cuban mechanics are truly creative.
              Rog
              '59 Lark VI Regal Hardtop
              Smithtown,NY
              Recording Secretary, Long Island Studebaker Club

Comment

Is the Lark emblem on the white Lark reversed? The numbers on the plate are not.
                Gary Sanders
                Nixa, MO

Comment

Originally posted by Gary1953 View Post
                  Is the Lark emblem on the white Lark reversed? The numbers on the plate are not.
                  I think that it is just in a different spot and rotated.
                  Gary L.
                  Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                  Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

The 57 seems to have the shifter coming out of the dash.... wondering what the reason is for that? Wondering if it is a front drive car now? Seems like Citreon did that with the 2cv.
                    Diesel loving, autocrossing, Coupe express loving, Grandpa Architect.

Comment

T Walgamuth; Citroen had it on the traction avant already in the late 30's
                      Click image for larger version

Name:	fam-14.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	98.7 KB
ID:	1724520
                      & MoPar had it some years in the 50's to -55

Name:	aa0a1083c80bd8abde9a354fcb8f64cb--car-buyer-pink-lady.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	12.6 KB
ID:	1724521