serial numbers, location of build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• serial numbers, location of build

I know somewhere on this website or in the forums there is a list that shows how to tell where one's Studebaker was built by its serial number. Can't find it now. Can anyone out there clue me in?
    Thanks.

Originally posted by Dan Gosch View Post
    I know somewhere on this website or in the forums there is a list that shows how to tell where one's Studebaker was built by its serial number. Can't find it now. Can anyone out there clue me in?
    Thanks.
    I have the S/N ranges by build location, but they vary by year. It becomes easy starting with 1959 when the Canadian cars have a C in the S/N and the South Bend cars do not.

Is there a particular S/N or model year that you have a question about?
    Gary L.
    Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
    Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Starting in 1959 a serial number containing the letter "C" indicates a car built in Hamilton, Ontario. Starting in 1949, ½-ton truck serial numbers containing an "H" were built in Hamilton.

No other serial number coding obviously indicates where vehicles were built.

Other factories were in South Bend and (between 1938 and 1956) in Vernon, California.

You will have to compare your serial number to the list in the first few pages of a shop manual or parts manual to tell which factory the vehicle came from.
      Bill Jarvis

Comment

The Standard Catalog of American Cars (1946-1975) lists starting serial (and engine) numbers by location (at least it does for Studebaker).
        Howard - Los Angeles chapter SDC
        '53 Commander Starliner (Finally running and driving, but still in process)
        '56 Golden Hawk (3 speed/overdrive, Power steering - Running, but not yet driving)
        '62 GT Hawk (4 speed, A/C, Power steering - running and DRIVING!)

Comment

I have a 1955 Commander coupe, serial number 8404880. Another reply says to check the list at the beginning of the shop manual, but it doesn't look like mine match any of these.

Comment

If you have the service & parts manuals for your car, it will show which serial numbers were built at which plants.

Comment

Its a Late South Bend '55 Commander using a 259 V8 not a "224".

These are all STARTING Serial Numbers, and as long as the number does not surpass the NEXT year's Starting Number it IS that lower year model.

Late '55 S/B Commanders Started at: 8,397,201, 1956 S/B Commanders Started at: 8,429,601.

YES, they DID build more than EIGHT MILLION Commanders!
              Last edited by StudeRich; 12-02-2018, 06:17 PM.
              StudeRich
              Second Generation Stude Driver,
              Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

Originally posted by Dan Gosch View Post
                I have a 1955 Commander coupe, serial number 8404880. Another reply says to check the list at the beginning of the shop manual, but it doesn't look like mine match any of these.
                It is a 1955 Commander built in South Bend (not Vernon or Hamilton).
                Gary L.
                Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Thank you sir!

Comment

Thanks! Did not know about the late in the year engine change.

Comment

The museum in South Bend can send you a Build Sheet detailing quite a bit.

Comment

Very interesting, and never thought much about it until seeing this post.
                        My 55 President 2 Dr Hardtop Vin# is 7806947. I never considered where it was built, but now I'm thinking it must be a Vernon plant product.
                        I'm just getting into the repairs on this car and making it safe and roadworthy. One of the items on my list is ordering the built sheet from Andy at the Museum.
                        Were there any differences in the SB cars vs the Vernon cars? Am I correct in thinking it's California built?
                        Thanks in advance for any info.
                        sigpic1966 Daytona (The First One)
                        1950 Champion Convertible
                        1950 Champion 4Dr
                        1955 President 2 Dr Hardtop
                        1957 Thunderbird

Comment

Originally posted by thunderations View Post
                          Were there any differences in the SB cars vs the Vernon cars? Am I correct in thinking it's California built?
                          Not sure about 1955 models, but I think Vernon cars had a body color trunk interior vs. the familiar 'greige' color seen on South Bend examples, for one.

Craig

Comment

This 55 has a body color trunk, and very well painted, not just hit and missed.
                            Originally posted by 8E45E View Post
                            Not sure about 1955 models, but I think Vernon cars had a body color trunk interior vs. the familiar 'greige' color seen on South Bend examples, for one.

Craig
                            sigpic1966 Daytona (The First One)
                            1950 Champion Convertible
                            1950 Champion 4Dr
                            1955 President 2 Dr Hardtop
                            1957 Thunderbird

Comment

There was also a plant in Walkerville Ontario from 1910 until 1936.

Comment

Working...
                              X