3 51 Commander questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 3 51 Commander questions

1. What is the best way to reassemble the locking collar on the glove box door? I have tried multiple ways but cannot get it to lock in.

Click image for larger version

Name:	2018-11-26 16.25.19.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	68.6 KB
ID:	1759808

2. What is a good way to remove the number tumbler from the speedo while the face is still on? I know it has a spring clip that holds it. Is there a special way to get that off. I would like to change mine to a better one.

Name:	2018-11-26 16.24.33.jpg
Size:	108.2 KB
ID:	1759809

3. What is a better way to get the wheel covers to stay on. Two have flown off(no damage to them) I I need to figure a better way to hold them on. I have adjusted the teeth but the cover worms its way out.

Name:	2018-09-07 13.49.20.jpg
Size:	165.9 KB
ID:	1759810
    51 Studebaker Starlight State Commander Coupe
    53 Studebaker Starlight Regal Commander Coupe
    62 Volvo PV544 Sport

I removed the odometer from my spare 51 Commander speedometer, and it wasn't easy.
    I did have to bend the wire some, and I think it will bend back OK when I find a better tenths number wheel.

The only thing I can think of to better hold the wheel covers might be steel valve stems and wheel cover locks.

Comment

The WRONG Wheels, or Old flexing Stock Wheels, will cause Flying Saucer Wheel Covers!
      StudeRich
      Second Generation Stude Driver,
      Proud '54 Starliner Owner
      SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

1. Starting from your picture, you need to remove the snap ring, the darker thin metal piece. Then insert the lock in the door, and from the back reinstall the snap ring.
        Sounds like a 1 minute job but in reality it is a near impossible chore invented by demons to aggravate you for hours.
        I ended up having to order a new snap ring from Stude Intl. They are sort of a spring clip and if bent will either not install or install too loose and the lock will not be tight on the door. May the odds be in your favor.

Comment

Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
          The WRONG Wheels, or Old flexing Stock Wheels, will cause Flying Saucer Wheel Covers!

Flying Saucer Wheel covers!!

Both my '56 wagon and my one-time '60 champ have that problem. I'll try the steel valve-stems. It's an easier fix than new wheels.
          Home of the famous Mr. Ed!
          K.I.S.S. Keep It Simple Studebaker!
          Ron Smith
          Where the heck is Fawn Lodge, CA?

Comment

Problem two solved. Ground just a little off of each side of the spring clip. Still fits tight and the lock does not move.

I may need to go more drastic on the wheel covers. They make something call CapLoc. You secure the wheel cover to one of the lug bolts by a cable through a throttle stop. The Throttle stop is connected to the wheel cover. It means a small hole through the middle of the cover but what is the point of having them if they are just going to fly off. These are driver quality and the hole and allen bolt will be in the middle of the crest. Should not show up too much. That way the covers can only come out a 1/4" or so. They should not fly off.
            62 Volvo PV544 Sport

Comment

Before drilling nice original covers, I'd make sure the wheels are correct, as Rich mentioned. Also make sure the grips on the caps are correctly bent for the best grip. When I drove my 50 Land Cruiser home this spring, I was worried about the possibility of loosing a beauty ring, but it turns out the beauty rings are also locked in place by the outer edge of the center cap, so they are very secure. I've never lost a wheel cover on any of my Studebakers, and they all have original covers and wheels.

BTW, my 1950 Commander has the 51 wheel covers on it, and they stay in place fine.

Comment

I think that I would try some two sided tape, made from a sponge like material. Use the tape where the wheel seems to want to come into contact to with the cover, but really doesn't. Used this on my noisy Speedster caps forty years ago. I had to take them all apart and cover all the mounting surfaces with the tape, but it was well worth it. The result was simply dramatic, no more noise and caps no longer wanted to fly off.

Comment

I can try the tape idea. I already know the wheels are not correct. I could not use the original rims with the 235 tires that are on them. They are 15" 55 Ford rims. I know that is the problem. I am trying to work a solution to make it all work. I can try the tape first. The teeth are out and very tight when the caps go on. They seem not quite round the way the caps go on. Part of the edges seem to stick out and will not go flat. Any recommendations on the type of two sided tape would be best. I already changed out the lug nuts to seat the Ford rims correctly.
                  62 Volvo PV544 Sport

Comment

Carpet tape is the strongest 2 sided tape I've used. There are now some very strong panel adhesives for car panels that are glued in place.

Comment

I might try some of the newer trim adhesive tape. I've used it several times for reaffixing trim pieces. It seems quite strong and it is made for outside trim, that is in the weather constantly. Having said that if you have noticeable gaps there are some two sided tapes that are maybe 1/16" thick, which are both spongy and compressible. That's what I used on the Speedster caps forty years ago, still holding.

Comment

I find that the Ford Ranger 15" wheels I use on my Studebaker must be just a little smaller inner diameter and the wheel disc is very tight when installed. That might be a solution for the worn or distorted teeth on your covers, plus give you a newer 6" wide wheel for radial tires.
                        sigpic1966 Daytona (The First One)
                        1950 Champion Convertible
                        1950 Champion 4Dr
                        1955 President 2 Dr Hardtop
                        1957 Thunderbird

Comment

I have two sets of Studebaker rims. Can 235 tires fit on those rims?
                          62 Volvo PV544 Sport

Comment

Modern tires that are the same diameter as the original 7.10 tires would be 215-75R-15.
                            RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
                            4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
                            5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon

Comment

I've had 225's on stock Studebaker wheels and they balloon out from the rim quit a bit. Probably causes some outside edge tread wear too as it distorts the contact patch.
                              Originally posted by lelshaddai View Post
                              I have two sets of Studebaker rims. Can 235 tires fit on those rims?
                              sigpic1966 Daytona (The First One)
                              1950 Champion Convertible
                              1950 Champion 4Dr
                              1955 President 2 Dr Hardtop
                              1957 Thunderbird

Comment

Working...
                              X