1964 Commander/Daytona/Cruiser Factory Wheel Size

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1964 Commander/Daytona/Cruiser Factory Wheel Size

What was the factory wheel size for 1964 Lark types? 14" or 15" ? Was there a different standard wheel size across the 3 models, 2Dr, 4Dr, Wagon?

Looking at a 1964 4Dr Daytona that has 14" wheels and full wheel covers. I was expecting 15" wheels with the new for 1964 full wheel covers.

Click image for larger version

Name:	00K0K_2BKnbOLsmyQ_600x450.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	43.7 KB
ID:	1759794
    1966 Daytona Sport Sedan - Richelieu Blue

They are all 15". At least I've never heard of a 1964 model going out the door with 14" wheels. Maybe it was assembled overseas.
    "Madness...is the exception in individuals, but the rule in groups" - Nietzsche.

Comment

The picture shows an earlier (than 1964) wheelcover that is for 15 inch wheels. What is the tire size that is on the car? I am going to guess that it and the wheel are 15 inch and not 14 inch.
      Gary L.
      Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
      Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

The wheel cover pictured is a 15" from a '62 Lark.

IIRC the only 14" wheel used by Studebaker was in 1958.
        Dick Steinkamp
        Bellingham, WA

Comment

Thanks everyone for setting me straight on this. It's a good day - I learned something new!! Seller stated 14" - these are the pitfalls of not doing an in-person inspection.
          Last edited by allen04084; 11-24-2018, 03:48 PM.

Comment

Tim, if you are looking at the car pictured in your original post, know that it should have a Daytona script in front of the wheel on the fender. The fender may have been replaced and the emblem not replaced.

Agreed; it has 15" wheels and 1962 passenger car wheel covers. BP
            We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

Ayn Rand:
            "You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality."

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

You also asked about 2 door, 4 door, and station wagon.
              I'm not sure how Studebaker did the wheels and tires on station wagons, but I have seen larger (or wider) tires on other makes of station wagons.

Comment

Originally posted by TWChamp View Post
                You also asked about 2 door, 4 door, and station wagon.
                I'm not sure how Studebaker did the wheels and tires on station wagons, but I have seen larger (or wider) tires on other makes of station wagons.
                1964 Six cylinder sedans came with 6.00x15s, I think six cylinder wagons and probably six cylinder convertibles had 6.50x15s (but I'm not sure about them). 1964 sedans used 6.50x15s, convertibles, Avantis and Wagonaires used 6.70x15s. One wheel width (4 1/2 inches) was used on all those tire sizes except on Avantis which used 5 inch width.
                Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia.
                '64 Daytona Wagonaire, '64 Avanti R-1, Museum R-4 engine, '72 Gravely Model 430 with Onan engine

Comment

Originally posted by BobPalma View Post
                  Tim, if you are looking at the car pictured in your original post, know that it should have a Daytona script in front of the wheel on the fender. The fender may have been replaced and the emblem not replaced.

Agreed; it has 15" wheels and 1962 passenger car wheel covers. BP
                  Hi Bob, thanks, yes, I saw that too. Both fronts are missing the Daytona script. I'm thinking the same thing about the front fender replacement. From all the pics, it looks like a good job, if they were replaced - panel gaps look perfect.

If I end up buying this one, I'll be looking for the fender scripts - any idea where I could locate them?

Thanks! Tim

Comment

Any and ALL Parts that are still available A LOT, including the Nameplates... are at:

http://studebakervendors.com
                    StudeRich
                    Second Generation Stude Driver,
                    Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

Working...
                    X