ID either Yale or Hurd locks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ID either Yale or Hurd locks

I have a 51 Commander. It only came with the ignition key but the ignition switch is after market. I am trying to get keys for the glove, box, trunk and doors. Is there a way to ID whether the locks are Hurd or Yale without taking them out? Also is there a way to take out the trunk tumbler without a key?
    Jim
    51 Studebaker Starlight State Commander Coupe
    53 Studebaker Starlight Regal Commander Coupe
    62 Volvo PV544 Sport
    59 Renault 4CV

I'm not sure on the 51, but on my 1950 Champions and Commanders, the Champions all have Yale keys, and the Commanders all have Hurd keys. A month ago I spent about 4 hours taking the truck lock and latch all apart. I didn't have a key, so I bought a lock picking kit on ebay, and finally got it picked so I could turn the tumblers.

Comment

If you get a copy of the production order, the original key codes will be on the production order. If you are really lucky a long-established locksmith will have a code book that will tell him how to cut the keys. Then, if you're really, really lucky you will get keys that fit the doors, trunk, and glove box.
      If you buy an original ignition switch later on, you can get it re-keyed to your code.

Comment

I looked at the production order my trunk key is S1176 and the ignition key is HH533. Does the ignition key open the doors and glove box? Does anyone have these keys? Are these Yale or Hurds?
        Jim
        51 Studebaker Starlight State Commander Coupe
        53 Studebaker Starlight Regal Commander Coupe
        62 Volvo PV544 Sport
        59 Renault 4CV

Comment

Door and ignition should be one key, and trunk and glove box the other key.

Comment

Last year I had keys made for the trunk / glove box locks on my Land Cruiser. Similar situation, I only received an ignition key, but not a trunk key. First, I removed the handle from the trunk lid and disassembled it. That only left the lock cylinder in the handle. On my trunk handle, there was a 1/16" hole on the bottom of the handle directly below the lock cylinder. First, I gently twisted the cutting flutes of the drill bit into the hole to clean out the crud, then I turned it around and inserted the shank of the bit into the hole until it bottomed out. I then pushed a little harder against the internal, spring-loaded lock tang on the cylinder, then pushed the cylinder out of the bore. I then took the cylinder and some key blanks I bought from Studebaker International to a locksmith, and he was able to cut new keys (without the codes). He disassembled the lock cylinder and cut the keys to match the existing tumbler sequence. The keys he cut worked perfectly. I then cleaned and lubricated the handle parts and reassembled everything.
            Mark L

Comment

Hurd Door Locks on Commanders/Presidents and V8's up to 1959, protrude out from the door, about 1/4" to 5/16" and have a very small Key Hole for the narrow shank Hurd Key.

A Yale Door Lock that SHOULD be on a Champion or 6 Cyl. Lark to 1959, is very shallow and only protrudes 3/16" or less and is Beveled/Tapered to the outer edge, not straight like a Hurd.
              StudeRich
              Second Generation Stude Driver,
              Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

Here are 2 pictures of a Hurd trunk and glove box key and 2 pictures of both Yale keys that I just downloaded from ebay items for sale.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Key Hurd Trunk 1.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	56.8 KB
ID:	1724461Click image for larger version

Name:	Key Hurd Trunk 2.jpg
Size:	68.2 KB
ID:	1724462Click image for larger version

Name:	Keys Yale 1.jpg
Size:	95.3 KB