Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Cabin fever project with champ grille(s)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cabin fever project with champ grille(s)

Yes this might be a case of a cabin fever project on the central plains, it got up to 47 today (yay) BUT the weather guys say it will only be 20 tomorrow. I counting the days until I can pull my Lark into town and install a newer steel front clip.

I am running a number of ideas through my head between bouts of playing tag with my 2 year old daughter and reading her the fine points of Dr. Seuss and the Lark shop manual

When it warms up I will be doing some mild custom work on a 61 grille, moving the signal lights below the headlights, welding up the old signal holes and installing a mesh insert in the narrow oval under the main grille opening. I am most likely ditching the front bumper unless I can figure out how to adapt something thinner to fit between the two grille openings.

My grille would be easy if the Champ truck grille fit on the 61 grille panel but it does not, the 61 opening is wider and shorter than the Champ grille. So I can go two ways here I can either make a mold with the champ grille that I have, creating a fiberglass copy or two too cut up and custom fit to the 61 grille opening.

As I write this it seems that the fiberglass mold route may be the way to go but does anyone have any broken champ grilles on their scrap piles for extra mold making. I dont know if I could just adapt the champ grilles... but for the life of me I cannot recall what kind of metal went into the champ grilles.

Any advice is welcome, I print these things out for later reference.

Jeff T.
    Wishing for spring

"I'm getting nowhere as fast as I can"
    The Replacements.
    \"I\'m getting nowhere as fast as I can\"
    The Replacements.

Jeff,

this *is* going on a 61-63 Lark and not a T-cab... right?

otherwise you're also going to have to do more work than that to make it work, the front edge of a T-cab or 59-60 hood will not line up with a 61-63 nose panel, and you might have to graft in the hood latch area from the 59-60/T-cab panel as well. You can't just slap a 61-63 hood on there unless you slightly recurve the rear edge and graft in the hinge mount areas (or entire rear x-member, might be easier if you have a door skin tool) from the earlier hood.

It really might be easier to start with a spare 59-60/T-cab nose and graft the stuff you want onto it.

Also how will you vent fresh air to the interior if you fill the turn signal holes? Duct it up from behind (where) the bumper (used to be?)

nate

--
    55 Commander Starlight
    http://members.cox.net/njnagel
    --
    55 Commander Starlight

Comment

Jeff,

this *is* going on a 61-63 Lark and not a T-cab... right?

otherwise you're also going to have to do more work than that to make it work, the front edge of a T-cab or 59-60 hood will not line up with a 61-63 nose panel, and you might have to graft in the hood latch area from the 59-60/T-cab panel as well. You can't just slap a 61-63 hood on there unless you slightly recurve the rear edge and graft in the hinge mount areas (or entire rear x-member, might be easier if you have a door skin tool) from the earlier hood.

It really might be easier to start with a spare 59-60/T-cab nose and graft the stuff you want onto it.

Also how will you vent fresh air to the interior if you fill the turn signal holes? Duct it up from behind (where) the bumper (used to be?)

nate

--
      55 Commander Starlight
      --
      55 Commander Starlight

Comment

Wow Jeff a heat wave huh? We got to 31 here in north Ms.

David Baggett '53 coupe

Comment

Wow Jeff a heat wave huh? We got to 31 here in north Ms.

David Baggett '53 coupe

Comment

Yes, My Lark is a 62.

I know they changed the cowl in 1961. I wish the 60-64 Champ grille fit the 61 Grille panel/header/that big sheet metal part but it does not. So I will get out the magic kit and fabricate, Bwa-ha-ha-ha and they say sausage making is messy

Now if I can figure out how to make a hood scoop

Jeff T.

The Replacements.
            The Replacements.

Comment

Yes, My Lark is a 62.

I know they changed the cowl in 1961. I wish the 60-64 Champ grille fit the 61 Grille panel/header/that big sheet metal part but it does not. So I will get out the magic kit and fabricate, Bwa-ha-ha-ha and they say sausage making is messy

Now if I can figure out how to make a hood scoop

Jeff T.

The Replacements.
              The Replacements.

Comment

Does this help?

No, it's not mine.

KURTRUK
                (read it backwards)
                KURTRUK
                (read it backwards)

Nothing is politically right which is morally wrong. -A. Lincoln

Comment

Does this help?

No, it's not mine.

KURTRUK
                  (read it backwards)
                  KURTRUK
                  (read it backwards)

Nothing is politically right which is morally wrong. -A. Lincoln

Comment

Now I know why that front end looks so strange! I think he welded a '62-'63 center into the '59-'60 front panel, and how that Champ grille fits it I have no idea! It looks like you can almost see a '59-'60 Parking light assy. blacked out on there or welded over, one or the other, and you can clearly see the distance from the grille to the hood is '63! [?][?][?]

StudeRich
                    Studebakers Northwest
                    Ferndale, WA
                    StudeRich
                    Second Generation Stude Driver,
                    Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

Now I know why that front end looks so strange! I think he welded a '62-'63 center into the '59-'60 front panel, and how that Champ grille fits it I have no idea! It looks like you can almost see a '59-'60 Parking light assy. blacked out on there or welded over, one or the other, and you can clearly see the distance from the grille to the hood is '63! [?][?][?]

StudeRich
                      Studebakers Northwest
                      Ferndale, WA
                      StudeRich
                      Second Generation Stude Driver,
                      Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

Working...
                      X