The Michael Kelly version of the Avanti

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Michael Kelly version of the Avanti

Too bad this handsome interpretation of the classic design was mired and sunk in scandal:
    https://disaffectedmusings.com/2018/...ay-wanderings/
    Attached Files

Nice looking except those sunken headlights are pure ugly.

Comment

I believe the first time I saw one of these Avantis. I thought it was really beautiful. It is too bad more weren't produced and the Avanti name was drug through the dirt in all the scandal around its final end.
      Joe Roberts
      '61 R1 Champ
      '65 Cruiser
      Eastern North Carolina Chapter

Comment

I didn't realize Michael Kelly had such a checkered history, I remember the 86/87 Kelly who at the time was just a business man who wanted to be in the car business.

Comment

They were called AVX's
          HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

Originally posted by DEEPNHOCK View Post
            They were called AVX's
            No! There were three AVXs built well prior to the cars being discussed that were Avantis (2001-2007 [2005-2007 for Ford based Avantis]).
            Gary L.
            Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
            Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Nothing to do with Kelly was an Avanti shining moment. Check out Kelly's history in TX before his initial involvement with Avanti. A huckter from the get-go, imho.

Comment

There you go. The experts have spoken!

Originally posted by studegary View Post
                No! There were three AVXs built well prior to the cars being discussed that were Avantis (2001-2007 [2005-2007 for Ford based Avantis]).
                HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

Originally posted by Xcalibur View Post
                  Nothing to do with Kelly was an Avanti shining moment. Check out Kelly's history in TX before his initial involvement with Avanti. A huckter from the get-go, imho.
                  Do you have a link to info online? I met Kelly at the 30th Avanti Anniversary meet where he told us that he made his fortune in the amusement park industry. Those close to him (I won't name any names but they worked for him at Avanti Motors) defend him fiercely and apparently have no pity on his victims that lost their life long retirement funds so he could jet around the world like the Wolf of Wall Street.

I also find it ironic that the first and last president of the Avanti died of cancer. The first, one of my all time hero's. The last, a ruthless con-artist that destroyed the lives of many innocent people.
                  Last edited by StudeMichael; 11-19-2018, 09:05 PM.

Comment

Working...
                  X