Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why the difference in fender trim on these two 1941 Commanders ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why the difference in fender trim on these two 1941 Commanders ?

Hello readers. As the title of this post says, why would there be a difference in the fender trim on these two 1941 Commander coupes? The trim piece in question may have an official name, but I'm calling them spears for this conversation. Note that on the red car, the spear's "feathers" are on the bottom of the spear shaft, but on the brown-and-tan car, the spear's "feathers" are on the top of the spear shaft. I can't zoom in as close as I'd like to, but it looks like the word "Commander" is on each of the example's feather, and the text on both are right-side-up. That would say to me that it isn't a case of one car having its trim on upside-down.
    The red car belongs to an acquaintance of mine; the other is just an example I found. Was there some sub-model of Commander that would call for the side fender trim to be different from another sub-model of the same car? Thanks.

1941-studebaker-commander-coupe example fender spears with feathers down.jpg 1941-studebaker-commander-coupe example fender spears with feathers up.jpg
    Last edited by migral23; 11-12-2018, 09:59 PM. Reason: Forgot photos !
    Mike Auldridge
    Gaithersburg, MD
    301-651-4346
    SDC Life Member since 1976
    1948 M16
    1961 Lark VIII convertible (with minor mods)

Ahh, we need the PICTURES.
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

The attachment shows the correct mounting for the optional fender trim. It was available on all three series. Personally I never cared for it though I do like the hood ornament. I have this nice 4-page brochure with prices and additional details for $12.00.41 deluxe group1-4 copy.jpg
      Richard Quinn
      Editor emeritus: Antique Studebaker Review

Comment

I posted the original question so fast that I forgot the photos ! I edited the post within 5 minutes, and added the photos....I think. One comment here says "Ahh, we need the pictures". Are they not visible to the readers, but only to me ?
        Mike Auldridge
        Gaithersburg, MD
        301-651-4346
        1948 M16

Comment

Originally posted by Studebaker Wheel View Post
          The attachment shows the correct mounting for the optional fender trim. It was available on all three series. Personally I never cared for it though I do like the hood ornament. I have this nice 4-page brochure with prices and additional details for $12.00.[ATTACH=CONFIG]76956[/ATTACH]
          Thanks for this, but it does not explain what appears to him as "Commander" being the correct way up in both cases. If they were on the wrong sides of the car, the names would be upside down. I am guessing the trim is incorrectly installed on his friend's car, but I can not enlarge it enough to read the script.
          Gary L.
          Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
          Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Originally posted by migral23 View Post
            I posted the original question so fast that I forgot the photos ! I edited the post within 5 minutes, and added the photos....I think. One comment here says "Ahh, we need the pictures". Are they not visible to the readers, but only to me ?
            They (your edit and the questioning post) were both four minutes after your initial post. Yes, we can see the pictures now.
            Gary L.
            Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968

Comment

The is no name of any kind on the fender ornaments. The only place the model names appear (in '41) is on the hood. Let me know if you would like a close-up of the fender spears as I have a pair of NOS in the basement.
              Last edited by Studebaker Wheel; 11-13-2018, 12:18 PM.
              Richard Quinn
              Editor emeritus: Antique Studebaker Review

Comment

Originally posted by Studebaker Wheel View Post
                The is no name of any kind on the fender ornaments. The only place the model names appear (in '41) is on the hood. Let me know if you would like a close-up of the fender spears as I have a pair of NOS in the basement.
                Thank you. This means that the wording of the question led me to believe that there were names on the parts in question when there are none. If no names, then the parts on his friends car are simply installed left for right.
                Gary L.
                Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968

Comment

Thanks to all commenters, and especially to Richard Quinn who clarified that there is no wording on the fender spears in question. None of the car photos I have in relation to this subject can be enlarged enough, and stay clear enough, to tell that definitively. And so, as Gary L. says, my acquaintance's car's fender spears are just on the wrong sides.
                  Mike Auldridge
                  Gaithersburg, MD
                  301-651-4346
                  1948 M16

Comment

I think Johnny Cash wrote a song about this - "the one on the right should have been on the left, the one on the left should have been on the right."

Comment

Often optional parts were installed by the dealer. That means there was some discretion on how and where they were installed. One mechanic did it the way it was supposed to have been done and the other mechanic put them on the wrong side. Or... whomever repainted the car did it. The cars are seventy seven years old almost.
                      RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

17A-S2 - 50 Commander convertible
                      10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
                      10G-Q4 - 51 Champion business coupe
                      4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
                      5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon
                      56B-D4 - 56 Commander station wagon
                      60V-L6 - 60 Lark convertible

Comment

Working...
                      X