X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Famous Kart Hauler lost to Malibu Fires

This just in from Tom Beckman (Andy Beckman's older brother):

norman-timbs-special-and-30-plus-classics-lost-malibu-fires

Everything I know is in that article. Such a shame, to have survived so long. Not that anything can be rebuilt, but who knows how extensive was the damage?

BP
    Last edited by BobPalma; 11-12-2018, 07:11 PM.
    We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

Ayn Rand:
    "You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality."

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Reminds me...there is a feature of the Hauler in a current issue of a car mag that I browsed through at Walmart the other day and I think it stated Brian Curtis was the owner which was (confusing) news to me. Sad so many cool cars were lost. junior

just catching up on the news and see 31 have lost their lives and 228 folks missing, so losing a number of collectable cars really just a grain of sand on the beach. condolences to those families who have lost loved ones, and fingers crossed for those families who have missing members.
    Last edited by junior; 11-12-2018, 12:54 PM.
    sigpic
    1954 C5 Hamilton car.

Comment

What a shame, that was a wonderful car and story. I feel about that loss as I did when the Chicken Hawk was lost. On the other hand it does not compare to the homes and lives lost.
      Don Wilson, Centralia, WA

40 Champion 4 door*
      50 Champion 2 door*
      53 Commander K Auto*
      53 Commander K overdrive*
      55 President Speedster
      62 GT 4Speed*
      63 Avanti R1*
      64 Champ 1/2 ton

* Formerly owned

Comment

That is so sad.
        The only difference between death and taxes is that death does not grow worse every time Congress convenes. - Will Rogers

Comment

Originally posted by junior View Post
          Reminds me...there is a feature of the Hauler in a current issue of a car mag that I browsed through at Walmart the other day and I think it stated Brian Curtis was the owner which was (confusing) news to me. Sad so many cool cars were lost. junior
          I just bought that issue last Friday night. Sorry to hear this

Comment

Argh. That was one of my favorites (although I would have done the rear window differently). It's one of those customs that really could have been successful as a production model and you sure can't say THAT very often. What a terrible loss but at least there is enough documentation on it that someone with some time and talent might be encouraged to create a tribute to it someday.

Comment

Which is a salient reminder.... Insure what you have.
              And build more to replace what time takes back...
              HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

Wow- also an Avanti II, Hudson Italia and a couple of Barris cars as well
                Evan Davis
                Prince Albert, Sk

Comment

As has already been said the loss of a unique automobile, even as unique as the Kart Hauler, pales in comparison to other losses we hear about.
                  Joe Roberts
                  '61 R1 Champ
                  '65 Cruiser
                  Eastern North Carolina Chapter

Comment

Someone can rebuild it. Not so with the lives lost.
                    Diesel loving, autocrossing, Coupe express loving, Grandpa Architect.

Comment

For the newer forum members, here's a short history of the car and why it's of significant to this forum.

https://www.kustomrama.com/index.php...953_Studebaker

Bob
                      , ,

Comment

Thanks for posting that, Bob P. I probably would not have known otherwise.

What a shame for Gary to loose not only his very special car collection, but also (I assume) his house and other possessions. Devastating. I do feel for him and the other Malibu area residents that have lost everything. Hard to imagine. My sister lives in Chico, CA, and is currently dealing first hand with the loss of the entire city of Paradise nearby and their friends and neighbors that are impacted by the Camp Fire. She and her family have evacuated their home and don't know at this time when they can return and if it will still be there. Tense times for all.

Re-building the Kart Hauler was some of the most fun I've had with a car. This forum was a big part of that fun. Thanks to all that encouraged me and cheered on the construction. Special thanks to my good friend Jon Falcon who did the body work and paint. He was also the genius behind the details that made the car so special. Jon is a WyoTech graduate but smartened up soon thereafter and decided that wasn't going to be his career. He graduated from Western Washington University with a degree in design. He worked for a design/build company for a while then opened his own design studio, Falconworks. He is quite successful and is as busy as he wants to be (his three little girls fill in any voids). We have lunch a couple times a month and talk cars. Thanks also to Gord Richmond for the build of the engine and transmission, Brian Curtis for lots of wrenching and advice, and Jerry Forrester for the perfect chrome. Thanks too to all the forum members that showed up in Pomona for the GNRS. Your support was amazing!

My blog on the car was essentially made up of forum posts. Here it is...

http://studeute.steinkamp.us/

It is ordered most recent post to oldest so you may want to page through to the end which is actually the beginning.
                        Dick Steinkamp
                        Bellingham, WA

Comment

That sure was a beautiful custom, and a nice color choice.
                          Seems in the past few years the damn fires have really taken a lot of beautiful antique and classic cars.
                          Today at 11 AM I turned on the news to see about the fires in California, but was really upset to find the lead story was about some Twins baseball player retiring, and it dragged on for 38 minutes, then they talked about the fires for 1 minute, then back to the guy retiring. Pretty sad commentary on where the news people put their priorities.

Comment

Its been pretty tough here in Thousand Oaks this past week. First the senseless shooting then the double whammy of the fires. Of a town of about 130,000 people, 75000 were evacuated. Last Friday everyone was going around in a daze, and it still continues. They finally reopened Hwy 101 at 10pm last night. We have had fires North, South, East and West of us. Thankful for firefighters from all over, saw a news truck and fire trucks from AZ and NM this afternoon with airplanes and helicopters from CO. The air quality has been really bad but is improving. No one I know directly has lost their homes, but I have seen quite a few round town, a lot that don’t make sense where a house is burned to the ground but on both sides the houses there look perfect. Very strange.

The firefighters are excellent at keeping the fire mostly away from the homes and just in the sagebrush, but sometimes it does get away from them. The canyons are full now of houses and brush that easily egnite and that’s how they spread so quickly especially with our west bound 60+ mile per hour winds.

Sad to see and her about cars and collections burning up, but as someone said they can be brought back....at expense and time hopefully!

Mark

Comment

Originally posted by Bullet View Post
                              No one I know directly has lost their homes, but I have seen quite a few round town, a lot that don’t make sense where a house is burned to the ground but on both sides the houses there look perfect. Very strange.
                              What you are seeing is most likely NOT strange at all! After the fires north of here and in the next province over, homeowners here have be made aware of the natural firepaths they made right to their doorsteps with highly flammable colored bark chips, etc., along both sides of their sidewalk from the tree-lined streets in front, or the greenspace out back. Some municipalities in British Columbia have banned bark chips for 'decoration' because of their flammability hazard, and are being advised to use colored shale or other rock instead.

Craig

Comment

Working...
                              X