Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

paint job on 66 4 dr stude.

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • paint job on 66 4 dr stude.

    Got about half of the bodywork and sanding done on Scott Millers 66 4dr. Only found a couple small pin holes in the roof rail and one in the lower drivers door. So being a CA car it is about as rust free as you can find. Car has been hit in the front and has had replacement new fenders and used hood installed. Windshield pillars are pushed back about a 1/4 inch on the upper Lt side and over to the right. Going to see if I can find a way to pull that out of it once the glass is out. I think when it was pulled last time they either didn't get it completely square or it moved back over time. Going to be fun finding a way to get the color right as it's Yellow knife gold and was only used on a 66 Studebaker so no one that we have been able to find has a formula for it. As luck has it they didn't paint the underside of the trunk so hoping we can color map that and tint to match.
    Attached Files

  • #2
    Nice work. That should be a beauty when you are finished. Has a color been chosen?
    Ed Sallia
    Dundee, OR

    Sol Lucet Omnibus

    Comment


    • #3
      If you have a Limco dealer anywhere close give them a try.It’s the only company I found that still mixes the Studebaker colors.

      Comment


      • #4
        It'll be Yellowknife gold.
        Originally posted by Commander Eddie View Post
        Nice work. That should be a beauty when you are finished. Has a color been chosen?
        "Madness...is the exception in individuals, but the rule in groups" - Nietzsche.

        Comment


        • #5
          That's my car. Thanks for the tip, Dave! If it's practical and we get a good match I'm going to post the paint formula. I've been grumbling about everybody recreating the wheel on paint matches every time someone does a car.
          Originally posted by Dave Bates View Post
          If you have a Limco dealer anywhere close give them a try.It’s the only company I found that still mixes the Studebaker colors.
          "Madness...is the exception in individuals, but the rule in groups" - Nietzsche.

          Comment


          • #6
            If you got some good original paint on the car have a paint shop do some computer scans on it for a perfect match .
            sigpic

            Home of the Fried Green Tomato

            "IF YOU WANT THE SMILES YOU NEED TO DO THE MILES "

            1960 Champ , 1966 Daytona , 1965 Daytona Wagonaire

            Comment


            • #7
              The area under the trunk is so small my paint guy didn't think we could get a good scan off it. But the color map book has every color you can think of and then every tint of that color almost. So we will pick the closest thing to the stock color we can find and Brent is great at tinting to match.

              Comment


              • #8
                I have done holes in the roof with 50 /50 success. For every hole you see, there are some ready to pop that you can't see because of the box section up there. Be sure you put some por 15 or your favorite rust killer up there and brush it around until it runs down into areas you can't see. Good luck.

                It seems from about 1959 on up, this will be a common problem area we did not see until recent years . They all start to rot from the inside out.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Can those color computers decide what colors to mix to make a match, or can they only pick the closest color on record at the present time?

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Tom You need about a 4"x6" area that has nice gloss and is buffed up as good as possible. It picks the closest code it can find and sometimes it's good sometimes not. I've had some done that are spot on and then some that I got closer by dumping left over paint together to make my own.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Since Yellowknife gold is so rare anyway, will anybody notice a slight shade drift?
                      RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

                      17A-S2 - 50 Commander convertible
                      10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
                      10G-Q4 - 51 Champion business coupe
                      4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
                      5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon
                      56B-D4 - 56 Commander station wagon
                      60V-L6 - 60 Lark convertible

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        I think this looks like an excellent match. If my car comes out like this I'd be happy.Click image for larger version

Name:	37057153485_f24104c4f9_b.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	102.0 KB
ID:	1724271
                        Originally posted by RadioRoy View Post
                        Since Yellowknife gold is so rare anyway, will anybody notice a slight shade drift?
                        "Madness...is the exception in individuals, but the rule in groups" - Nietzsche.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Scott,

                          Is that Chuck Collin's car that Jeff Wade bought and subsequently sold? If so, it sure was a great runner. I'm thinking that Bob Peterson had one that color, too.

                          The paint on yours was so faded that I did not even realize this was the color it was supposed to be.
                          RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

                          17A-S2 - 50 Commander convertible
                          10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
                          10G-Q4 - 51 Champion business coupe
                          4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
                          5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon
                          56B-D4 - 56 Commander station wagon
                          60V-L6 - 60 Lark convertible

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            That last comment sounds a bit scary

                            Originally posted by (S) View Post
                            I have done holes in the roof with 50 /50 success. For every hole you see, there are some ready to pop that you can't see because of the box section up there. Be sure you put some por 15 or your favorite rust killer up there and brush it around until it runs down into areas you can't see. Good luck.

                            It seems from about 1959 on up, this will be a common problem area we did not see until recent years . They all start to rot from the inside out.
                            Joseph R. Zeiger

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              My car had a bad, old repaint that was probably shiny for a year or two when we were all much younger. I wish I knew who owned the car in the picture. I found the picture on the internet. Pretty, isn't it? I have not seen a picture of any 1966 that is identical to the one on the postcard Studebaker put out. All the ones I have seen newer photos of have the black vinyl roof. When my car is done it will be identical to the one on the postcard. But I need the BLACK painted headlight surrounds. I can't recall if Stephen Allen's (My StudebakerParts) has them. Mine are unpainted for some reason.
                              Originally posted by RadioRoy View Post
                              Scott,

                              Is that Chuck Collin's car that Jeff Wade bought and subsequently sold? If so, it sure was a great runner. I'm thinking that Bob Peterson had one that color, too.

                              The paint on yours was so faded that I did not even realize this was the color it was supposed to be.
                              "Madness...is the exception in individuals, but the rule in groups" - Nietzsche.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X