Studebaker fly-over!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Studebaker fly-over!

Greenville SC, 11: am, I am sitting in a medical center parking lot waiting for my wife having some lab work. Suddenly I hear the wonderful sound of multiple vintage radial engines synchronized in perfect harmony. Once it cleared the building blocking my view...A B17! I wonder how many of the engines were Studebaker assembled?

As a bonus, a few moments later a B-24 followed. Just a thought...there were quite a number of people outside on this medical facility campus but I didn’t see any other person look up or take notice.
    John Clary
    Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Wow! How could you not look up? The sound of those engines is now a very unfamiliar one. Here in Oregon we are waiting anxiously for the completed restoration of the Lacy Bomber and the roar of it's 4 Studebaker built engines. I will definitely look up.
    Ed Sallia
    Dundee, OR

Sol Lucet Omnibus

Comment

I agree that the sound of a radial engine is something special. When I went to a threshing show about 15 years ago, there was a guy that had some beautiful model engines he had built. He had his small radial running, and it still had that special radial engine sound.

Comment

If the B-17 was the one that belongs to the E.A.A. out of Oshkosh, WI., all 4 are Studebakers!- Jim

Comment

John, the plane you saw was the Collings Foundation "Nine O Nine" B-17 on part of the "Wings of Freedom" tour. They spent a few days in Greenville, were on their way to Georgetown, SC, then to Statesville, GA. The planes were here in New Bedford, Mass. last October, so I took a ride - and piloted - the P-51/TF-51. Not a radial engine, but not your average Continental 4-cylinder as in a Cessna 172. You can ride in the B-17, too, for a price, 90% tax deductible.

https://www.collingsfoundation.org/a...ying-fortress/
          Gary Ash
          Dartmouth, Mass.

'32 Indy car replica (in progress)
          ’41 Commander Land Cruiser
          '48 M5
          '65 Wagonaire Commander
          '63 Wagonaire Standard
          web site at http://www.studegarage.com

Comment

Originally posted by garyash View Post
            John, the plane you saw was the Collings Foundation "Nine O Nine" B-17 on part of the "Wings of Freedom" tour. They spent a few days in Greenville, were on their way to Georgetown, SC, then to Statesville, GA. The planes were here in New Bedford, Mass. last October, so I took a ride - and piloted - the P-51/TF-51. Not a radial engine, but not your average Continental 4-cylinder as in a Cessna 172. You can ride in the B-17, too, for a price, 90% tax deductible.

https://www.collingsfoundation.org/a...ying-fortress/
            Back in the mid-1990's they had a similar exhibit at the same airport. I drove my '48 Coupe over that day and the crew invited me to park and exhibit my Studebaker with the aircraft that Saturday. I had a blast! On that day, they also displayed an ME109 and some sort of German bomber. (Look in the background under the wing opposite my car). Today, the B17 was in bright aluminum finish with all the decals & letters, but I was too caught off guard to try to capture or remember any of the insignias. The Liberator that followed looked much like the one pictured in the link supplied by Gary. Anyway...a great surprise and treat for me on an otherwise mundane Monday!

Now that I'm back home, I just gotta figure out what to do with the raccoon I found in the live trap near my chicken coop? (Hey BP...I think I got it right this time! "Coop"...not coupe)

Click image for larger version

Name:	'48 Coupe & B17.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	18.3 KB
ID:	1724196
            John Clary
            Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

A few years ago my wife and I had the pleasure of flying in one of those B-17's in Sanford, NC. What a blast! I was unable to determine if its engines were Studebaker-built, but regardless it was a thrill, especially for the son of a World War II vet.
              Mike Davis
              Regional Manager, North Carolina
              1964 Champ 8E7-122 "Stuey"

Comment

My last boss was part of a crew that was in a B 17 that was shot down over Europe. He was a POW for years. Being confined in a box that was shorter than he was tall, made him claustrophobic. He only owned convertibles after that. I knew another guy in Poughkeepsie that was even worse. He not only owned convertibles, but kept the top down all of the time, even all Winter.
                Gary L.
                Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Originally posted by jclary View Post
                  Back in the mid-1990's they had a similar exhibit at the same airport. I drove my '48 Coupe over that day and the crew invited me to park and exhibit my Studebaker with the aircraft that Saturday. I had a blast! On that day, they also displayed an ME109 and some sort of German bomber. (Look in the background under the wing opposite my car). Today, the B17 was in bright aluminum finish with all the decals & letters, but I was too caught off guard to try to capture or remember any of the insignias. The Liberator that followed looked much like the one pictured in the link supplied by Gary. Anyway...a great surprise and treat for me on an otherwise mundane Monday!

Now that I'm back home, I just gotta figure out what to do with the raccoon I found in the live trap near my chicken coop? (Hey BP...I think I got it right this time! "Coop"...not coupe)

[ATTACH=CONFIG]76654[/ATTACH]
                  Oh that's easy. Airdrop the sucker! LOL

Comment

I remember stationed at Sheppard AFB in '03 for a few months. There was an airshow there with a B17 there. I have a T shirt of it. I borrowed a ladder and checked out the engines, and Lo and Behold at least one Studebaker resided there.

Comment

I had the pleasure to get a flight in this B25 last summer. Part of their story was that during restoration, the FAA ceased their restoration as they thought that automobile parts (Studebaker) were being used on an airplane. It was sorted out shortly afterwards when they acquired a more knowledgeable inspector.
                      Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0536.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	96.6 KB
ID:	1724198

Comment

B-17

I saw that same B-17 yesterday at about 1pm, flying over a shopping mall in Savannah, Georgia. Man that plane was loud! Quite a pleasure seeing that plane.

Comment

I had one knocking over my garbage so sent off for a live trap and caught him. I made sure he did not knock over my can again.
                          Diesel loving, autocrossing, Coupe express loving, Grandpa Architect.

Comment

Having grown up infatuated with WWII aircraft and being a professional pilot today I am going to go ahead and say that German bomber was a Junkers JU88. Pretty cool as I did not know any existed in flying condition until I saw the picture. Video below is a computer generated one.

https://www.google.ca/url?sa=t&rct=j...De84H0QiVY0uG5

The comment about no one looking up to see the B17 fly by is a sad commentary on the indifference the younger generations seem to have towards these amazing machines from the past. I belong to a group that restores and flies this vintage of aircraft and it is getting harder and harder to do so!

Lovely Studebaker by the way!!!!

Comment

30 yrs ago I was close to the Memphis airport. I was up a power pole working. And I hear what sounded like a several ww2 airplanes. I was under some trees so I could not lookup. A minute later I realize the sound was not moving. I had to lean way way out. Looked up and saw one of the old Goodyear blimps. What a sight. What a sound.

Comment

Working...
                              X