I Tried, but Studebakers are still Under Appreciated and Underpriced

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I Tried, but Studebakers are still Under Appreciated and Underpriced

I paid too much for my last Studebaker, and that should help bring up the price, but there are still some great bargains out there. Just think what paint, upholstery, and chrome cost these days, let along doing any rust repairs or bodywork. This car looks like a bargain to me.

https://minneapolis.craigslist.org/a...732305265.html

As for that particular car, it has too many doors to ever command a high price in todays collector market, IMHO.

As for Studebakers in general, I agree. It doesn't seem to matter how nice the car is, about all you can hope for is $25K up to about $30K max unless it is a Golden Hawk, Coupe Express or Avanti. I just don't get the fascination with Tri-Five Chevys (and cameros, mustangs, chevelles, etc) and why people will pay so much for them. Even a small car show will have 5 of them and a big show will have a hundred or more.

I wonder if it has to do with the level of restorations that get done? You see a lot of the Tri-Fives where people have spent obscene amounts of money at a professional shop to make those cars beautiful. On the other hand, the typical Studebaker you see is more a survivor than a restored show car. Of course there are some exceptions to this general observation, but my thought is, could it be that the general public just doesn't understand that any car with nice body lines can be made beautiful if the owner is willing to spend enough money on it.

Maybe we (the Stude owners) have brought this on ourselves because we generally don't spend $75K on the restoration of our cars. Therefore the general public rarely gets to see what they could be and they don't have enough imagination to picture it for themselves. In todays information age, the average selling price of most anything is just a few clicks away. Since most Studes don't get a professional restoration, the average selling price for most any model is fairly low and therefore people don't want to pay too much above average when they run across a beautifully restored example. Just a thought to consider.
    Wayne
    "Trying to shed my CASO ways"

sigpic

Comment

4-door cars are becoming more popular with beginning collectors and those of us who don't have a lot of money to spend on our hobby/passion. I have now owned two of them and they are just as much fun as the 2-door models but easier to get in and out of.
      This car looks like a good bargain. Not long ago I sold my 1950 4-door Commander Regal Deluxe for $8,000 and the buyer was delighted. I am sure someone will snatch this one up and give it a good home. Don't be surprised if the price of these 4-door models start creeping up.
      Ed Sallia
      Dundee, OR

Sol Lucet Omnibus

Comment

Originally posted by TWChamp View Post
        I paid too much for my last Studebaker.....
        Not if you wanted it bad enough.

Ten years from now, what you paid for it might be a 'bargain'. I wonder how many 1966-77 Ford Bronco owners now feel who 'overpaid' for a rust-free one in the 1990's.

Craig
        Last edited by 8E45E; 10-26-2018, 04:45 PM. Reason: typo

Comment

This is an Internet Based Forum...very little qualifications except to adhere to the Terms of Service(TOS) agreement and as such, one of the freest, indiscriminate communication venues ever...and in view of this, I offer my thoughts.

I have several Studebaker vehicles, I have never paid too much for any of them. As a sober adult, I've always paid at least what they were of value to me. Otherwise, I would not have bought any of them. I am at peace regarding my purchases. I'm satisfied with what they mean to me. I rejoice at the excitement others sometimes share with me regarding my enthusiasm for my cars. But, I do not allow myself to become discouraged at those who do not share my enjoyment or are derisive and indifferent. In other words, I look inward for my enjoyment, to do otherwise is to surrender myself to the control of the opinions of others. That is something I refuse to do. IF someday, I lose the passion I have for my cars, I will deal with them differently. If I lose the capacity to deal with it, hopefully, my caretakers will do the right thing.

Until then, I'm having a blast!
          John Clary
          Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

Agree this car will sell quickly. Wish it was an automatic.....

Regarding prices, the old saying "what was popular back then is still popular now" applies. They sold more '55 chevys for a reason. Those of us who enjoy the "different by design" styles of the independent brands need to be more happy with the depressed values than they are to "appreciated" values. If your in the hobby to make money your in the wrong place.

Comment

Mike, did you read my PM to you about a nice automatic.

Comment

I think most of us spend too much on our old cars and trucks no matter if we got a good or bad deal when we bought them. There are lots and lots of little things we need or want for them and that's just the way it is. As I always say the value of most things and especially old cars and trucks is up to the owner. How bad to you want it leads to how much you are willing to pay for it. When you go to sell such things we all hope the prices are going up. On the other hand when you want to buy them we all hope the prices are declining.
                Joe Roberts
                '61 R1 Champ
                '65 Cruiser
                Eastern North Carolina Chapter

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Sal View Post
                  Agree this car will sell quickly. Wish it was an automatic.....
                  Are you SURE?
                  Remember this is a Champion SIX, if it were a Commander V8 with Automatic, it may be able to get out of the way of those than can go 0 to 60 in 5.0 Sec.
                  StudeRich
                  Second Generation Stude Driver,
                  Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
                    Are you SURE?
                    Remember this is a Champion SIX, if it were a Commander V8 with Automatic, it may be able to get out of the way of those than can go 0 to 60 in 5.0 Sec.
                    Commander V8 in a 1950? Don't get me going on modified Studebakers!

Studebakers have been, and will be, under appreciated and lower priced than many similar year cars. To some, that's an advantage. A unique car for a bargain. If you want the public to know as much as you do about Studebakers, you'll be continually disappointed. If you want your Studebaker to appreciate like a 57 Chevy or 40 Ford, don't hold your breath.
                    Dick Steinkamp
                    Bellingham, WA

Comment

Tom, thanks for the post. Nice to see what's still out there for a decent purchase price. This one is purchasable, especially for a first timer to enable them to jump into our hobby and actually own one that can be driven to events.
                      Wayne, I couldn't agree more. I really don't spend much time at car shows ogling the Tri-Fives, more the different ones like Nash, Kaiser, Studebakers etc. A pal had a '55 Nomad which he sold for 50 big ones. Good for him as I drove it several times and thought it drove like a POS compared to our Studes.
                      Craig has a good point in that if you wanted it enough, then it isn't too much.
                      John states it well as the value is really in the eye of the owner.
                      Eddies point about the number of doors is right on because as we age, how many times do we want to crawl in and out of a 2 door rear seat? That's best left for the teenagers among us.
                      Just my take, but I have no regrets on any purchases (except for my wife's Subaru Outback but that's another story).
                      Bill

Comment

Bill, I am the same way. I suspect some owners of more popular/common cars may not like the fact that I don't even slow down to look at their car as I walk by. Then I will stop and talk to a guy with a Gremlin for 20 minutes. It is not that I don't appreciate how nice their car is, I have just seen so many of them. It is unlikely that there is anything about their car that I haven't seen before.
                        Last edited by wdills; 10-26-2018, 12:56 PM.
                        Wayne
                        "Trying to shed my CASO ways"

sigpic

Comment

TW, yes, I saw your note. Although the starlights are kool, I'd rather have a sedan (see above comment about getting old...). I'd really rather have a land cruiser, but I'm going to call a guy about a '50 champ w/ auto tonight. it's priced a little hi for it's condition but who knows.

Yes, the champ will surely struggle pulling an automatic....I wonder how hard it would be to find a 185 these days to swap in? Since I live out in the sticks I don't really need jack rabbit speed these days....if I do we can take the Avanti....

Comment

I love those cool 'suicide' doors. Far more attention getting (and easier to enter) than any of the slab sided 2door models. Although I admit that as a teen the 'starlight', 'business coupe' or a convertible were my first choice. With age and experience my tastes have became more refined.

Comment

I wonder how hard it would be to find a 185 these days to swap in? ...
                              A G.M. 4.3 V6 with a 700r4, dependable as a brick, would be much easier to find, and with the addition of modern brakes be up to any traffic situation.

Comment

Working...
                              X