Avanti Production Numbers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Avanti Production Numbers

It's fairly well known how many original 1963 and 1964 Avanti's were produced by Studebaker. Does anyone know or have an idea how many subsequent Aanti's were produced in the years following? Thanks Mike
    Mike
    Fort Worth, TX

1964 Avanti R2 #R-4986

Have you tried AOAi?
    Originally posted by Silverplate View Post
    It's fairly well known how many original 1963 and 1964 Avanti's were produced by Studebaker. Does anyone know or have an idea how many subsequent Aanti's were produced in the years following? Thanks Mike
    Lou Van Anne
    62 Champ
    64 R2 GT Hawk
    79 Avanti II

Comment

Try theavanti.com technical - production statistics.
      78 Avanti RQB 2792
      64 Avanti R1 R5408
      63 Avanti R1 R4551
      63 Avanti R1 R2281
      62 GT Hawk V15949
      56 GH 6032504
      56 GH 6032588
      55 Speedster 7160047
      55 Speedster 7165279

Comment

Not sure of exact numbers but there were fewer post-Studebaker Avantis built than Studebaker produced.
        Poet...Mystic...Soldier of Fortune. As always...self-absorbed, adversarial, cocky and in general a malcontent.

Comment

I have figures, that have evolved over the decades, for the years of 1965 through 2017.
          I believe that the figures at theavanti have been disputed by several of us.
          Is there a particular year that you are interested in or do you want a total? I have a total of 3539.
          Gary L.
          Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
          Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

more figures

Originally posted by studegary View Post
            I have figures, that have evolved over the decades, for the years of 1965 through 2017.
            I believe that the figures at theavanti have been disputed by several of us.
            Is there a particular year that you are interested in or do you want a total? I have a total of 3539.
            the avanti.com totals for 1965-1991 are 3493. john hull's book "avanti the complete story" puts the total as 3446, a difference of 47 cars. the yearly breakdowns are fairly similar with a couple of exceptions. gary, i'd be interested to see a breakdown of your figures and how you obtained them. i'm a "numbers guy" and find this stuff fascinating and only adds to the avanti story and mystique! (if you have added the 3 avx cars and the estimated 91 2000 series cars you would only be one off hull's figures). thanks, george perry
            gfperry

Comment

If anyone has the correct numbers it is John Hull. between he and John Seaton they have been around Avantis and involved with their production since 1965.
              sigpicSee you in the future as I write about our past

Comment

I have always felt that Avanti II's and subsequent simply Avanti's are the deal of the century. Where else can you find a very low production (usually only 1 or 2 hundred per year), hand built car which looks so unique, is practical due to it's very common GM running gear, and distinction even in today's production of where most cars look alike?
                I look forward to seeing the exact production numbers in print here.
                Bill
                PS: I'm somewhat prejudiced as I own two.

Comment

1963 - 1964 = 4,647 produced.
                  End of story
                  "Every man I meet on the street is superior to me in some respect, and from that I can learn."
                  R.W. Emerson

Comment

????

Originally posted by dleroux View Post
                    End of story
                    are we to infer, (end of story), that those of us who own something other than '63's and '64's don't count?
                    gfperry

Comment

Originally posted by arkusvt View Post
                      are we to infer, (end of story), that those of us who own something other than '63's and '64's don't count?
                      I don't think that is the implication. All the Avanti models after 1964 models have some Studebaker lineage. They may not be directly related but can trace something back to the original line. Ed Smith brought this up at the zone meet we just had and the Packard Hawk, and all Avanti's in attendance, the 1932 Pierce Arrow also there, were all related to the Parent Studebaker, and given awards based on judging, not by anything else.

Bob Miles
                      Pacific Southwest Zone Coordinator

Comment

The non Studebaker Avanti's are continuation cars and may have actually invented the term. Like the original Shelby Cobra. The follow on kit cars, Factory Five builds and many more have Shelby Cobra lineage. They also maybe not directly related but can also trace something back to the original line.

Nice article by Keith Martin https://www.sportscarmarket.com/prof...ntinuation-car

if article comes requiring log in do a search on Avanti Continuation for full article read.
                        Last edited by Silverplate; 10-25-2018, 10:01 PM.
                        Mike
                        Fort Worth, TX

1964 Avanti R2 #R-4986

Comment

Originally posted by arkusvt View Post
                          the avanti.com totals for 1965-1991 are 3493. john hull's book "avanti the complete story" puts the total as 3446, a difference of 47 cars. the yearly breakdowns are fairly similar with a couple of exceptions. gary, i'd be interested to see a breakdown of your figures and how you obtained them. i'm a "numbers guy" and find this stuff fascinating and only adds to the avanti story and mystique! (if you have added the 3 avx cars and the estimated 91 2000 series cars you would only be one off hull's figures). thanks, george perry
                          I do not count the AVX cars as Avantis (since they aren't). I count all from 1965 through 2007.
                          Gary L.
                          Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968

Comment

Originally posted by Avantidon View Post
                            If anyone has the correct numbers it is John Hull. between he and John Seaton they have been around Avantis and involved with their production since 1965.
                            I agree about John Hull. Also, keep in mind that there are changes/revisions since his book came out.
                            As far as production, I believe that John Seaton was involved from the AVX days until Nov. 2001 and John Hull was Nov. 1999 until ?
                            Gary L.
                            Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968

Comment

Originally posted by dleroux View Post
                              End of story
                              I interpreted this to mean that this is the correct count for '63-'64. The later numbers are a little harder to nail down. I could be wrong.
                              Don Wilson, Centralia, WA

40 Champion 4 door*
                              50 Champion 2 door*
                              53 Commander K Auto*
                              53 Commander K overdrive*
                              55 President Speedster
                              62 GT 4Speed*
                              63 Avanti R1*
                              64 Champ 1/2 ton

* Formerly owned

Comment

Working...