Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Curious about shipping cost on a complete weatherstripping kit

Howdy,

I was just curious - has anyone else encountered what seems like a crazy shipping cost to have a complete weatherstripping set shipped to you? I ordered one from one of the prominent vendors for my Lark wagon and was kind of stunned to find out that it cost $173.45 to ship to California. That seems really high. I wanted to check to see if anyone else has encountered this.

Thanks,
    Dean
    Dean Seavers
    Sacramento, CA

I havent purchased one of these, but just curious where its shipping from? What state?
    Could it be a big box?

You could always ask them why its so expensive.

Comment

Rates went up. I'm shipping a 37 pound box to FL from WA $190 bucks USPS.

The price you got is about right if the kit is in one box and a tube full of cat whiskers is also involved. Those kits are quite heavy.

Its really hard for high volume, large vendors to 'shop around' for shipping. If I had more volume, I'd be quoting high rates too.

Comment

Maybe that's overnight or two day rate. Request the slow route and ask what that would cost.

Comment

Thanks for the feedback - they had already shipped before I found out what the price was. I wish someone would have given me a head's up to the shipping cost before they went through it. I emailed them and suggested that if that in fact is the shipping quote for regular ground, they might want to put a note on the parts page on both their website and the next revision of the parts catalog so folks can know what they are getting into if they order the kit. I haven't heard back.
          Dean Seavers
          Sacramento, CA

Comment

It only cost me $20 shipping for a 5ft drive shaft (aprox 25LBS) from Utah to Ca. and shipping for a 155Lb transmission from SoCal was $40. The 40Lb torque converter came from Chicago with $12 shipping. But shipping a $5 catalog from Greenfield IN. cost me $15. I won't be buying any parts from them.
            sigpic

Comment

Call the vendor and ask about the shipping costs. They may have miss calculated and will give a refund.
              Milt

1947 Champion (owned since 1967)
              1961 Hawk 4-speed
              1967 Avanti
              1961 Lark 2 door
              1988 Avanti Convertible

Member of SDC since 1973

Comment

Shipping costs to and from Canada to the USA has just about killed my ebay sales. It seems that we are all subsidizing Amazon as they seem to get a preferred rate.

T-cab

Comment

The past while I have been getting repair parts for my truck that was wrecked in late July. Things like the header panel and grill don't weigh very much but are in large/bulky boxes and the shipping can be as much or more than the part cost. So, a $65 aftermarket grill from Rockauto ends up at $140 shipped. I got some items from the dealer (that were still available for this 15yr old truck) as the OEM parts counter price I didn't have to pay shipping on was only a little more than a cheaper aftermarket one with shipping added.

I agree that shipping charges the past year or so have gone up insanely. Its causing me to see if I can't pick up something locally in a store if I can rather than shop online.

I wonder what is causing the shipping rates to go up? It can't be fuel prices I would think as they are not any higher now than they have been off and on the past 10yrs or so.

Jeff in ND

Comment

Just a thought, but I would suspect that a combination of "because they can" and the discounts that they are possibly giving major shippers is in play. Walmart, Amazon, Costco, Best Buy, Home Depot and any number of the usual suspects are pushing free shipping with any order or an order with minimum purchase. I suspect that the bidding for those accounts is staggering and losing one is a major problem.

Gotta cover expenses somehow and I suspect they don't really care if they lose a few individuals. The last couple of parts shipments I've made were up but shopping UPS, Fedex, USPS and Greyhound have resulted in quotes within a buck or two of each other. Going through Ebay shipping can save a significant amount but the costs are still higher than a while back. Interestingly, the one item that seems to hold low pricing is golf club shipments through Ebay. $10 or less will get clubs shipped a long way.

Bob
                    , ,

Comment

Shipping on a radiator and two rad hoses from Rock Auto 10 days ago was only $9, and it only took 3 days to arrive. Unfortunately, If I can't get it at Walmart I can't get it here, so almost everything else I buy online and ship. So shipping cost is a huge factor in who I buy from.
                      sigpic

Comment

Walmart, Amazon, Costco, Best Buy, Home Depot and any number of the usual suspects are pushing free shipping with any order or an order with minimum purchase.
                        Right, I was able to get free shipping from Amazon on the header panel and they also had the grill but the reviews on that grill were not too good with most of them complaints of shipping damage of some sort so I decided to pay more elsewhere on that.

Currently I am waiting to hear about a replacement receiver hitch from Summit that will have free shipping (when it ships). On a heavy item like that too and the price was less than having a local parts store get it on order.

Jeff in ND

Comment

UPS/FedEx retail shipping costs are high because they're telling us they don't want to be bothered. Just as eBay grew up and chose to favor high volume retailers at the expense of individual sellers, so have FedEx and UPS given their largest volume shippers very low rates. They'd actually prefer we individuals and very small businesses don't bother them with our onesies-twosies transactions, as long as Amazon, et al fill thousands of trucks every day; all professionally packed, addressed and introduced into the system on computer.

The best deal out there today are the USPS Flat Rate Boxes. It's easy and free to set up a personal account and print one's own postage labels.

The most expensive is to use UPS Stores or the FedEx Office Print & Ship Center.

jack vines
                          PackardV8

Comment

I ship parts daily and that seems outrageous. How were they shipped?
                            1960 Lark VIII Regal Wagon

Comment

I ship 4 -6 pkgs. daily for my business & Fed-Ex is my preferred shipper. Cost / time / accuracy all play a role in that decision, but if it HAS to be there within the specific time period, Fed-Ex is hands down the favorite. (I used to work for UPS a lifetime ago and they are the worst) Now, if I have to ship on my own dime, USPS is where I go. Cost / convenience / & delivery schedules have everyone else beat. I love the USPS and use them whenever I can, but just not for business.
                              "Every man I meet on the street is superior to me in some respect, and from that I can learn."
                              R.W. Emerson

Comment

Working...
                              X