Interesting items at our meet

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Interesting items at our meet

We had a meet of the Greater Virginia Chapter yesterday. It was a "Show & Tell meet and many people brought some interesting items.

Darrell Carr, who always keeps us laughing, brought this item that some of his "friends" gave him!

Dwight FitzSimons brought 3 different 63 Avanti brochures. The engine pictures are different from the first one and the mid and last one.

Also the rear view mirror is on one and not on the other.

The last one also has the R3 engine listed on the back.

Frank Drumheller (Studelark) brought his 53 Inside Facts books. In case you didn't know, there were only 5 of the 53 Inside Facts books produced because of the problems getting the 53 Studebaker into production. Frank has one of the originals and he also had a reproduction that was made by Richard Quinn. THe most interesting picture to me, was the Mobilgas Economy run photo. It clearly shows a 53 Studebaker. How could that get that picture if they were producing these books before the cars were produced? The picture is in both the original and repro copies.

Leonard Shepherd
    http://leonardshepherd.com/

Leonard,
    Do you know if these are still available as a repro?

Comment

Leonard,

Comment

Explanations:

1. The picture of the Avanti engine with yellow valve covers must be an early, prototype car. It also appears to have no ignition shielding and, possibly, a few other detail differences under the hood from regular production units. (Rats! 'Can't see the battery hold-downs!)

2. The rear view mirror appears to have been air-brushed in, in the Avanti interior photo showing the rear view mirror in place.

3. The 1953 Facts Book must have indeed been published after The 1953 Mobilgas Economy Run, since the accompanying text references the final, exact MPG figures for the winning Studebakers.

[8D] BP
        We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

Ayn Rand:
        "You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality."

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Explanations:

1. The picture of the Avanti engine with yellow valve covers must be an early, prototype car. It also appears to have no ignition shielding and, possibly, a few other detail differences under the hood from regular production units. (Rats! 'Can't see the battery hold-downs!)

2. The rear view mirror appears to have been air-brushed in, in the Avanti interior photo showing the rear view mirror in place.

3. The 1953 Facts Book must have indeed been published after The 1953 Mobilgas Economy Run, since the accompanying text references the final, exact MPG figures for the winning Studebakers.

[8D] BP
          We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

Ayn Rand:
          "You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality."

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Lenoard nice pictures of rarre items. The Avanti picture was probably done by John Ebstien as he did all of the Air Brushing for Mr. Loewy. What else was there of interest?

See you in the future as I write about our past
            sigpicSee you in the future as I write about our past

Comment

Lenoard nice pictures of rarre items. The Avanti picture was probably done by John Ebstien as he did all of the Air Brushing for Mr. Loewy. What else was there of interest?

See you in the future as I write about our past
              sigpicSee you in the future as I write about our past

Comment

quote: Leonard,
                I think Richard Quinn puts them on eBay occasionally.

quote:Lenoard nice pictures of rarre items. The Avanti picture was probably done by John Ebstien as he did all of the Air Brushing for Mr. Loewy. What else was there of interest?
                There were some other interesting items. Frank also brought his Weasel brochure, but I didn't get a photo of it. I brought the term paper I wrote, in 1958 when I was in the seventh grade, about Studebakers. Here are a few of the pages:

Leonard Shepherd

Comment

quote: Leonard,
                  I think Richard Quinn puts them on eBay occasionally.

quote:Lenoard nice pictures of rarre items. The Avanti picture was probably done by John Ebstien as he did all of the Air Brushing for Mr. Loewy. What else was there of interest?
                  There were some other interesting items. Frank also brought his Weasel brochure, but I didn't get a photo of it. I brought the term paper I wrote, in 1958 when I was in the seventh grade, about Studebakers. Here are a few of the pages:

Leonard Shepherd

Comment

"Vehicilies"?[)]
                    "All attempts to 'rise above the issue' are simply an excuse to avoid it profitably." --Dick Gregory

Brad Johnson, SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
                    Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
                    '33 Rockne 10,
                    '51 Commander Starlight,
                    '53 Commander Starlight "Désirée",
                    '56 Sky Hawk

Comment

"Vehicilies"?[)]
                      "All attempts to 'rise above the issue' are simply an excuse to avoid it profitably." --Dick Gregory

Brad Johnson, SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
                      Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
                      '33 Rockne 10,
                      '51 Commander Starlight,
                      '53 Commander Starlight "Désirée",
                      '56 Sky Hawk

Comment

Spelling never was my strong suite!

Leonard Shepherd

Comment

Spelling never was my strong suite!

Leonard Shepherd

Comment

This stuff sounds neat; hope I remember this thread next weekend when I get back to my broadband internet, instead of this dial-up[V]

Robert (Bob) Andrews Owner- Studebakeracres- on the IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys!)
                            Parish, central NY 13131

Comment

This stuff sounds neat; hope I remember this thread next weekend when I get back to my broadband internet, instead of this dial-up[V]

Robert (Bob) Andrews Owner- Studebakeracres- on the IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys!)
                              Parish, central NY 13131

Comment

Working...
                              X