Factory Air?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Factory Air?

My 62 GT has the correct AC for the year yet the production order does not show AC as an option. Was air always factory installed in 62 or sometimes dealer installed before delivery? The previous owner had the compressor rebuilt and it works beautifully! Perhaps at some point the correct unit was installed after the car was purchased? It spent most of it's life in Texas so I wouldn't be surprised!

Click image for larger version

Name:	Studebaker Hawk Production Order.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	94.8 KB
ID:	1759552Click image for larger version

Name:	P1080429.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	125.1 KB
ID:	1759553Click image for larger version

Name:	P1080457.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	132.5 KB
ID:	1759554

You'll have to convert it back to a non-air car to be factory original. You may lose points at judging. You can get rid of those extra non-stock parts to me. : )

Comment

Probably dealer add on or done properly by a PO.
      Either way, if it's correct for the year, it's OK for any judging.
      A/C is correct, as far as I'm concerned, even if it's aftermarket. Should be considered a safety feature. Don't believe that? Come to Phoenix in the summer and drive around without A/C. You can't get cool air through the windows or vents when it's 118 degrees.
      sigpic1966 Daytona (The First One)
      1950 Champion Convertible
      1950 Champion 4Dr
      1955 President 2 Dr Hardtop
      1957 Thunderbird

Comment

Originally posted by 55s View Post
        You'll have to convert it back to a non-air car to be factory original. You may lose points at judging. You can get rid of those extra non-stock parts to me. : )
        Ha Ha! After the summer we just had I think I'll accept the possible loss of points in the interest of not losing 5 Ilbs sweating on every 2 hour drive ! It sure was nice to have this year!

Comment

Originally posted by thunderations View Post
          Probably dealer add on or done properly by a PO.
          Either way, if it's correct for the year, it's OK for any judging.
          A/C is correct, as far as I'm concerned, even if it's aftermarket. Should be considered a safety feature. Don't believe that? Come to Phoenix in the summer and drive around without A/C. You can't get cool air through the windows or vents when it's 118 degrees.
          Pheonix in the summer, I can only imagine. We had a hot enough summer in these parts but not Phoenix hot! We are hoping to spend a couple months every winter in your part of the world once I retire though!

Comment

Even in the mid 70's I was still installing factory air into cars during prep for delivery.
            A customer would pick a new car on the lot, and if it didn't have air, and he wanted air, then I installed it to look like a factory installation.

Comment

Originally posted by TWChamp View Post
              Even in the mid 70's I was still installing factory air into cars during prep for delivery.
              A customer would pick a new car on the lot, and if it didn't have air, and he wanted air, then I installed it to look like a factory installation.
              Yes, I wouldn't be surprised if that is what happened with my GT.

Comment

Can you imagine a car ordered new in Miami Florida without factory a/c?, especially an Avanti where one sweats to death even in Jan!
                Well I had to have Studebaker Miami install a factory Avanti kit.........best cash one could ever hope to have spent!

Comment

Sometimes the selling dealer made more $$$ purchasing the a/c kit wholesale and installing it in his own shop rather than ordering the car with it factory installed. I suspect that is what may have happened in this instance.

Craig

Comment

Are you sure that is a correct production order for your car? The interior and exterior do not appear to match from car to production order. Does the Serial Number match the production order? Does the Serial Number plate on your car appear to have been tampered with/removed?

EDIT: Perhaps you should check back with the SNM to make sure that you received a correct production order.
                    Last edited by studegary; 10-07-2018, 08:14 PM.
                    Gary L.
                    Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                    Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Originally posted by Kato View Post
                      My 62 GT has the correct AC for the year yet the production order does not show AC as an option. Was air always factory installed in 62 or sometimes dealer installed before delivery? The previous owner had the compressor rebuilt and it works beautifully! Perhaps at some point the correct unit was installed after the car was purchased? It spent most of it's life in Texas so I wouldn't be surprised!
                      When I ordered my '64 Daytona Wagonaire in April 1964, Hamilton was not installing air conditioners in the cars produced. I had to come back to my dealer and have him order a complete '64 kit which he then installed. Seemed original to me.
                      Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia.
                      '64 Daytona Wagonaire, '64 Avanti R-1, Museum R-4 engine, '72 Gravely Model 430 with Onan engine

Comment

LOL......the total cost of the kit, labor and tax........$447.00 I like dem prices!
                        Originally posted by 8E45E View Post
                        Sometimes the selling dealer made more $$$ purchasing the a/c kit wholesale and installing it in his own shop rather than ordering the car with it factory installed. I suspect that is what may have happened in this instance.

Craig

Comment

Yes this Hawk now has 1964 Pattern NOS Cloth and Vinyl Upholstery in Maroon, the Car was built with matching Vinyl seat inserts in Solid Black Vinyl, and in '62 Red was used not Maroon.

IMHO, that's a HUGE improvement over "Hot" BLACK Vinyl !

Is the Car still White?
                          StudeRich
                          Second Generation Stude Driver,
                          Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

Our 1962 GT Hawk had AC, an underdash unit with a York compressor. It was installed by Sears & Roebuck’s. Car was white with black vinyl upholstery. Thank God for that air conditioning in the summer months!
                            sigpic1957 Packard Clipper Country Sedan

"There's nothing stronger than the heart of a volunteer"
                            Lt. Col. Jimmy Doolittle
                            "I have a great memory for forgetting things" Number 1 son, Lee Chan

Comment

Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
                              Yes this Hawk now has 1964 Pattern NOS Cloth and Vinyl Upholstery in Maroon, the Car was built with matching Vinyl seat inserts in Solid Black Vinyl, and in '62 Red was used not Maroon.

IMHO, that's a HUGE improvement over "Hot" BLACK Vinyl !

Is the Car still White?
                              It is not white in the third picture in post #1.
                              Gary L.
                              Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                              Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Working...
                              X