Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Car show stupid comment from a stupid person.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Car show stupid comment from a stupid person.

I just can't get past this comment made to me about Studebakers being made a bit quirky as in comparison to many manufacturers of the day. There I was parked at a car show to speak, as they used to be dominated by antique cars but they had to change the name to {old and new car show} because of the insurgence of the new Mustang,Challenger, New Corvettes Chargers.pickups and the like crowd. M.H.O. I wish they would stay away. What a joke on the antique car hobby. Any how parked next to me was a 1953 Chevy 3100 Standard cab pickup in fine condition. It got a lot of compliments as did my 63 GT as it always does cause it is in fine condition. The owner of the pickup looks my car over and hours later tells me. {well those Studebakers had things about their manufacture that weren't exactly up to par with other makes of the day}. Oh boy, here we go. I was ready for the counter attack. Yeah he said. " they had those windows that worked backwards" and that was it. I was expecting him to continue his attack but that was it. I thought to myself him to be a real arsehole that could never offer any intellect into a conversation about any old car. On the way home while stopped at a red light a guy about fell out of his delivery van announcing to us that he once owned a 78 Grand Torino like that. Cheers jimmijim PS. What is the reason for my backward operating windows?.
    sigpicAnything worth doing deserves your best shot. Do it right the first time. When you're done you will know it. { I'm just the guy who thinks he knows everything, my buddy is the guy who knows everything.} cheers jimmijim*****SDC***** member

Had a similar experience at a car show a couple of weeks ago, or at least my wife did. I unfortunately was not at my 62 GT when my wife says a guy comes over and starts ranting about how "behind the times Studebaker was" and "no wonder they went out of business" and then says " they were still using round head lights" ?????????

Sometimes you just have to consider the source of these comments and assume at some point in their lives they lacked a little oxygen!

Comment

Originally posted by jimmijim8 View Post
      I just can't get past this comment made to me about Studebakers being made a bit quirky as in comparison to many manufacturers of the day. There I was parked at a car show to speak, as they used to be dominated by antique cars but they had to change the name to {old and new car show} because of the insurgence of the new Mustang,Challenger, New Corvettes Chargers.pickups and the like crowd. M.H.O. I wish they would stay away. What a joke on the antique car hobby. Any how parked next to me was a 1953 Chevy 3100 Standard cab pickup in fine condition. It got a lot of compliments as did my 63 GT as it always does cause it is in fine condition. The owner of the pickup looks my car over and hours later tells me. {well those Studebakers had things about their manufacture that weren't exactly up to par with other makes of the day}. Oh boy, here we go. I was ready for the counter attack. Yeah he said. " they had those windows that worked backwards" and that was it. I was expecting him to continue his attack but that was it. I thought to myself him to be a real arsehole that could never offer any intellect into a conversation about any old car. On the way home while stopped at a red light a guy about fell out of his delivery van announcing to us that he once owned a 78 Grand Torino like that. Cheers jimmijim PS. What is the reason for my backward operating windows?.

I don't know why they crank the opposite compared to some (most) of the others. But don't sweat it. In a few years they will have forgot about the crank windows entirely. Most everybody has electric or voice command windows nowadays.

Comment

It just occurred to me that maybe, just maybe, some of these people think that the GT Hawks were built in the late 1970's.
        sigpic
        In the middle of MinneSTUDEa.

Comment

Originally posted by Milaca View Post
          It just occurred to me that maybe, just maybe, some of these people think that the GT Hawks were built in the late 1970's.
          I hadn't considered that but that may be true!

Comment

IMHO opinion, I don't like new cars at old car shows either. As far as stupid comments go, you got it right in your post title. There will always be those who are a few sandwiches short of a picnic. Ignore.

Comment

One time at a car show, Someone literally walked up to me and my car and said "Oh, the engine's a V12? How much power does it make?" I tried to explain that the engine is a 289 cu. V8, but he cut me off. He said "It's that small? It must suck!" Apparently, it doesn't matter that the engine was able to develop more than 200 horsepower, is extremely reliable, and was able to accept a supercharger from the factory. Needless to say, I was completely done when he said "Oh, your engine's the same as a Ford!"

Last edited by Stude Shoo-wop!; 10-07-2018, 05:01 PM.
              Jake Robinson Kaywell: Shoo-wops and doo-wops galore to the background of some fine Studes. I'm eager and ready to go!

1962 GT Hawk - "Daisy-Mae" - she came dressed to kill in etherial green with a charming turquoise inside. I'm hopelessly in love!

Comment

Originally posted by RDWEAVER View Post
                I don't know why they crank the opposite compared to some (most) of the others. But don't sweat it. In a few years they will have forgot about the crank windows entirely. Most everybody has electric or voice command windows nowadays.

Poet...Mystic...Soldier of Fortune. As always...self-absorbed, adversarial, cocky and in general a malcontent.

Comment

Sad to say that’s the reason I stopped enjoying attending “old” car shows. There aren’t many “old” cars that attend. You see many late model muscle cars that should be in the parking lot. And if there are any older vehicles there, they’ve been so modified and altered you’d hardly identify what they started out as. It’s truly a treat to see an original antique car that you can actually identify. Guess I’m an old fart.
                  sigpic1957 Packard Clipper Country Sedan

"There's nothing stronger than the heart of a volunteer"
                  Lt. Col. Jimmy Doolittle
                  "I have a great memory for forgetting things" Number 1 son, Lee Chan

Comment

This topic is largely why I stopped going to car shows. I'm bored seeing modern "custom" cars like Mustang, Camero, 'Vetts, ect. Seeing an unmolested original car of any era has become difficult to say the least. Even these cars are now "customs." These are now an exercise in how much money can be spent making a collector car less collectable. Incidentally, I had a 74 FIAT 128 I bought new that had windows that cranked " backwards." Guess that made Studebaker once again ahead of their time!

Comment

I have lived 77 years, most of them with Studebakers, and I did not know that Stude windows cranked "backwards." Not paying attention I guess.
                      Don Wilson, Centralia, WA

40 Champion 4 door*
                      50 Champion 2 door*
                      53 Commander K Auto*
                      53 Commander K overdrive*
                      55 President Speedster
                      62 GT 4Speed*
                      63 Avanti R1*
                      64 Champ 1/2 ton

* Formerly owned

Comment

Originally posted by Milaca View Post
                        Could be the case, and that would blow away the rest of the statement that they thought Studebakers were behind the times.
                        Everyone knows they were way ahead of their time.

So far I get nothing but good comments on my 1950. Today while at Menards I got nice compliments, then the question "how fast can it go?"
                        I said I had no idea, because I never drive faster than 60 MPH.

Comment

I dunno....
                          You get out what you put in... Some people just spew because they are ignorant...or jealous.
                          Last night at the dragstrip someone asked if my engine was an Oldsmobile. He just did not know.
                          I chatted with him and he went off knowing more than he did when he came up, and he had a smile on his face.
                          Last edited by DEEPNHOCK; 10-08-2018, 10:59 AM. Reason: shpelling
                          HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

Well ya know, Forrest's Momma said it right, 'stupid is as stupid does,' or says...

Home of the famous Mr. Ed!
                            K.I.S.S. Keep It Simple Studebaker!
                            Ron Smith
                            Where the heck is Fawn Lodge, CA?

Comment

I'll throw a different view on dealing with the ignorant. As a rule I have been attacking the problem on a different tangent.

The last time I got the, "Oh, that's a Ford engine!", I got lucky as there was a very original Mustang perked next to me. The 'Stang had its hood open so I gently pointed out what a Ford looks like under the hood. Then I walked him over and pointed out the visual differences and he acknowledged what he saw was different. We had a long but actually pleasant conversation and he did admit maybe he was not as in the knoe as he thought he was. I gave him my card to pass on to someone that thries to "correct him back" to ignorance. Time will tell.

Comment

Working...
                              X