Trip to Stephens - Sky Hawk is home

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trip to Stephens - Sky Hawk is home

My uncle Mitchell bought the Sky Hawk that Stephen Cade had for sale in TW. So today, Mitchell, his 8 year old son Josh, my granddad, and I loaded up and headed south to Gainesville to pick up the car. When we got there, we found Steve and Derwood, the restoration guy, pulling the car out of the barn with an old 8N tractor. The car is a pretty decent one. The only rot is in the front fenders and one of the rocker panels. I've seen very few Studebaker floors as solid as the ones this car has. The hood is perfect, as is the rest of the sheet metal. Steve said it'd probably run with a good battery and a tuneup. The pass. side door was used on another project, but he threw in another good one.

After we got it loaded, we wondered around the place, looking at all the Studes everywhere. We got to get a closeup view of the '37-ish Calliope truck, and the original US6 and 2R17 fire truck. (The last two came from Asa Hall's estate). The cars are packed so tight in the buildings that you can hardly walk in there! We also got to see all the parts on the shelves, for the last time I suppose.

Derwood's finishing up the restoration of a BEAUTIFUL '56 President Classic. By far the nicest one I've ever seen.

The blue '51 is "Old Spot"; the car that's been in the collection the longest.

And before we left, we (well, I took pics) helped Steve load the '60 ragtop he sold onto his trailer. Someone bought themselves a real project!

It was great to see Steve again, and he seems to be doing just fine.

The only mishap we had was a trailer tire come apart about 45 miles from home. We stopped, took the wheel off the trailer, and headed on home with no more trouble.

The only thing I bought was a solid '59 Scotsman hood from Derwood. It'll replace the bondoed up one on the truck now.

Was a fun day!

More pics of the adventure here.
    http://s81.photobucket.com/albums/j2...awk/?start=all

Matthew Burnette
    '59 Scotsman
    '63 Daytona
    Hazlehurst, GA

I really like '56 Hawks, they look so much better without the big fins (IMHO) looks like a great builder!

nate

--
    55 Commander Starlight
    http://members.cox.net/njnagel
    --
    55 Commander Starlight

Comment

I really like '56 Hawks, they look so much better without the big fins (IMHO) looks like a great builder!

nate

--
      55 Commander Starlight
      --
      55 Commander Starlight

Comment

'Nice-looking "56-only" hood on the Sky Hawk, too. [] Congrats all around. Thanks for the pictures, Matthew. BP
        We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

Ayn Rand:
        "You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality."

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

'Nice-looking "56-only" hood on the Sky Hawk, too. [] Congrats all around. Thanks for the pictures, Matthew. BP
          We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

Ayn Rand:
          "You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality."

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Yea Nate, '56 is my favorite year Hawk. And BP, that hood is perfect. One of the first things I noticed!

Matthew Burnette
            '59 Scotsman
            '63 Daytona
            Hazlehurst, GA

Comment

Yea Nate, '56 is my favorite year Hawk. And BP, that hood is perfect. One of the first things I noticed!

Matthew Burnette
              '59 Scotsman
              '63 Daytona
              Hazlehurst, GA

Comment

I'm tellin' ya Dave; you gotta come to our State Meet in April! [8D]

Matthew Burnette
                '59 Scotsman
                '63 Daytona
                Hazlehurst, GA

Comment

I'm tellin' ya Dave; you gotta come to our State Meet in April! [8D]

Matthew Burnette
                  '59 Scotsman
                  '63 Daytona
                  Hazlehurst, GA

Comment

Well maybe I'll see ya there. Just maybe!

Matthew Burnette
                    '59 Scotsman
                    '63 Daytona
                    Hazlehurst, GA

Comment

Well maybe I'll see ya there. Just maybe!

Matthew Burnette
                      '59 Scotsman
                      '63 Daytona
                      Hazlehurst, GA

Comment

I knew I shoulda been quicker!!! that's what I get for getting my TW in regular mail.......

Great car Matt, bet it wont set outside......

It is an addiction!
                        It is an addiction!

Comment

I knew I shoulda been quicker!!! that's what I get for getting my TW in regular mail.......

Great car Matt, bet it wont set outside......

It is an addiction!
                          It is an addiction!

Comment

Great pic's Matt.Somehow your working weekends seem so much like fun.

David Baggett '53 coupe

Comment

Great pic's Matt.Somehow your working weekends seem so much like fun.

David Baggett '53 coupe

Comment

Working...
                              X