Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

'Recognize Any of These Studebaker Contestants?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 'Recognize Any of These Studebaker Contestants?

'Just returned from the 2008 World of Wheels Car Show at The Indiana State Fairgrounds. Among the interesting items was a room done up in a "1962 Custom Car Show Motorama" theme by the Central Indiana Road Rockets car club. One member had the National Hot Rod Association's National Drags Official Programs displayed from the years 1962, 1963, and 1964, held here at Indianapolis Raceway Park.

I asked if I could look at the programs and take some notes. The owner was most conversant and flattered that I wanted to do so, and even offered a pen to go with the note pad I was carrying.

There were several states and dealerships represented among the Studebaker entries in the stock classes those three years, so I wondered if anyone on the forum might recognize someone.

Here are the car numbers and associated names from those three programs:

1962 Entrants:

Car #648: (this one you can probably guess...but if not, see Page 7 of the March 1996 Turning Wheels...or maybe someone will post it! )

Car #918: A Studebaker, no year specified, entered under the name Cyclops by Robert H. Beard of Hanover, Pennsylvania (omigosh, another Bob!). [Gee, I wonder what year and model Studebaker participating in 1962 drag racing would be named Cyclops?]

Car #656: A 1953 Studebaker entered by Terry Troutman of Cleveland, Ohio, sponsored by Craddock Studebaker.

1963 Entrants:

Car #648 (same notation as Car #648, above!)

Car #852: A 1951(?) Studebaker, Torquer II, entered by Bill Ehrsam of Sylvania, Ohio.

1964 Entrants:

Car #648: (reference above)

Car #1152: A 1951 Studebaker, The Precision Auto Machine Special, entered by Kenneth Snell of Ft. Lauderdale, Florida.

Car #1014: A 1963 Studebaker entered by Merrill Cottrill of Lancaster, Ohio; sponsored by Thimmes Motors.

Car #910: a 1962 Studebaker, Move-N-Mochene, entered by Doug Seeley of Marietta, Ohio.

Does anyone on the forum know any of these people or cars or sponsors, except Car #648? These were all stock-class Studebakers, not entries in the modified classes that would not necessarily have had Studebaker power.

Observation: Take a moment to put into historical context #1014, a 1963 Studebaker entered in the 1964 NHRA National Drags long after Studebaker's in-house high-performance operations had gone belly-up. Consider the challenge of a Studebaker dealer and person willing to carry Studebaker's 1963/1964 model year high-performance torch to Indianapolis for the National Drags at a time when the dealership had to be struggling with Studebaker's move to Hamilton, greatly reduced interest in the marque, and a DOA high-performance program from the home team in South Bend.

A daunting undertaking for Merrill Cottrill and Thimmes Motors, whoever they might be, if you put their activities in the proper historical context...and isn't that what history is all about?

(And in case anyone likes to gripe about inflation, I noted the original cover price of the 1963 NHRA "Nationals" Program was 50 cents...but the cover price of the 1964 publication was $1.00! Yipes; 100% inflation in one year! [:0] I'll let Ted Harbit chime in on his opinion of NHRA's "money acquisition" policies if he so desires! ) BP

We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

quote:Car #648: (this one you can probably guess...but if not, see Page 7 of the March 1996 Turning Wheels...or maybe someone will post it! )
    OK, ya made me do it!:

But, I still like this better, because it is the Ted/Wife/Chicken Hawk I know best!:

DAVE, THE EVIL TWIN FROM OKLAHOMA
    sigpic
    Dave Lester

Comment

Here is a picture of car #1014

I just noticed this old post from a search on the internet. Here is a picture of car #1014. I currently own the car and am slowly fixing it up.
      Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by gwood View Post
        I just noticed this old post from a search on the internet. Here is a picture of car #1014. I currently own the car and am slowly fixing it up.
        Very cool; super cool, as a matter of fact! What engine was in it when they raced it? Still there? Tell us everything you've been able to determine about the car, gwood.

What a find...both for you and for the forum. Welcome aboard! BP
        We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Bob

I have the basic block, the heads were gone when I got the engine which had been separated from the car for a long time. The block is pretty rusty, it was an R2 bored .060 over, and has aluminum timing gears in it. The story is that the driver Cottrill had corresponded with Granatelli quite a bit, but the letters were lost in a house fire.

Gary Wood

Comment

What is the car's Serial Number, Gary?

I assume it is a 4-speed (or 3-speed?) because it was running C/S, not C/SA. BP

Comment

Serial number 63V-19098

Bob,

It was shipped as a 4-spd but he may have raced it both with the 4-spd and an automatic (automatic is in it now). Nelson and I once talked to the guy when we were in college. He did replace the factory disc brakes with drums because he didn't like the drag of the discs.

Gary

Comment

19098. Built as an R2/4-speed. Very cool. 'Glad to hear it survives. Keep us posted. BP

Comment

Another one for the Jet Thrust Registry! Well, IF it still exists!

Very, VERY COOL Gary (and Bob)!

I just LOVE hearing that legends like your #1014, 63V19098 R2 4 Speed '63 Daytona Hardtop still exist! Just fantastic nostalgia, and when restored it will be an awesome Car.

What a neat coincidence that Bob posted this 2/10/2008 asking where this Car is today, and mentioning how hard it would have been trying to be competitive with this Car at a time when there was no Factory support whatsoever.

And then BINGO! Three years and Three plus Months LATER, Gary finds the post about the SAME Car! Amazing!
                  StudeRich
                  Second Generation Stude Driver,
                  Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                  SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Recognize Any of These Studebaker Contestants?

1964 Entrant, Car # 1152, 1951 Studebaker

This Studebaker was built and owned by Bob "Rapid" Dwyer in his Ft. Lauderdale shop, Prescision Auto Machine. Bob has passed on however his widow is still living.
                    I am pursuing a photo and any other details that can be gotten about the car.
                    sigpicBob Coolidge
                    DeLand, FL

Comment

Now this is cool stuff. Thanks for starting this Bob P.
                      Joe Roberts
                      '61 R1 Champ
                      '65 Cruiser
                      Eastern North Carolina Chapter

Comment

Originally posted by JRoberts View Post
                        Now this is cool stuff. Thanks for starting this Bob P.
                        Thank goodness we don't have a "mandatory delete" feature for older threads, or this would never have come about.

'Good to see you back in the keyboard saddle, too, Joe. BP

Comment

Way Cool. Can't wait to see some pics. It must have been a blast to race back in the day like that.

Gordon

Comment

Remember Car #1152: A 1951 Studebaker well as Bob Dwyer sent me a large colour photo of it back in 1967. I had a Commander convertible of the same year here in NZ. If I remember right Kenneth the driver was a dentist and as weight was the enemy he dod no weigh much. When I visited Florida Bob and Marilyn put me up. Very generous couple. Bob also race a 53 Champion but badged it as a commander. He told me the metal was thinner on the Champion . He then put the battery in the back.

Comment

Working...
                            X