Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by studegary View Post
    How low is "really low"?
    Curious if its in the single digits myself...
    55 Commander Regal Coupe
    XA Bat (The Roadwarrior)
    KARR (Knightrider)
    Eleanor (ORIGINAL Gone in 60 Seconds)

Mad Max Car\'s \"Hero Car Ranch\"; Seattle, Wa.

Comment

Just opened up a tool box that's been stashed in my garage for over a decade. Forgot all about this. I got it off James Bond's car:

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5568.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	84.7 KB
ID:	1729486

The car was on the Central Coast of California. The body was gone back of the dash. The car/chassis had been used to power really big generator mounted over the rear axle. It was collapsing the rusty frame. Headed to the crusher, they had used a forklift fork to break the hood latch open and yank out the radiator for the copper value. The only thing I found worth saving was the starter core.

Notice further up in this thread that the '49 Champion convertible starts with "1" (no zeroes precede it), but this '47 starts with two zeroes. More questions, less answers.
      KURTRUK
      (read it backwards)

Nothing is politically right which is morally wrong. -A. Lincoln

Comment

Originally posted by kurtruk View Post
        Notice further up in this thread that the '49 Champion convertible starts with "1" (no zeroes precede it), but this '47 starts with two zeroes. More questions, less answers.
        Here is another tag preceded with a '0': https://forum.studebakerdriversclub....ry-Body-Number

Craig

Comment

Just opened up a tool box that's been stashed in my garage for over a decade. Forgot all about this. I got it off James Bond's car:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]83795[/ATTACH]

The car was on the Central Coast of California. The body was gone back of the dash. The car/chassis had been used to power really big generator mounted over the rear axle. It was collapsing the rusty frame. Headed to the crusher, they had used a forklift fork to break the hood latch open and yank out the radiator for the copper value. The only thing I found worth saving was the starter core.

That tag is for a 1949 Champion Deluxe 2 door sedan, not a "'47".
          Gary L.
          Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
          Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Originally posted by studegary View Post
            That tag is for a 1949 Champion Deluxe 2 door sedan, not a "'47".
            Gary, the first number is a "6", not an "8".
            KURTRUK
            (read it backwards)

Nothing is politically right which is morally wrong. -A. Lincoln

Comment

Many years ago in the San Francisco bay area a beautiful 50 Champion starlight coupe appeared on the "for sale" circuit. It had an excellent dark green paint job and a not too bad, new grey cloth interior. But what got me was the body tag. It had the "cal" streamer on it and it was also body number 4. Yes, number 4.

Sure wish there had been someone around who knew anything about it. But the various owners that it went through in the course of several months were not interested in or knowledgeable of Studebakers, nor were they the least bit focused on anything but selling it for as much as they could get. Fortunately, at least one of the "flippers" lost money fairly big time for the day. As I recall the asking/transaction/auction prices were $2200, $2400, and $900, in that order. The last price was at Harrah's auction in the days before the whole swap meet and auction morphed into hot August nights.

The year was around 1978-1980 or so, when old car prices were rising rapidly around here. In those days, every two bit hustler was trying to make a killing in the old car market. I was glad when they got taken for a ride, but always wonder what happened to that car.
              RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
              4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
              5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon

Comment

Ahh, the Days of the Cadillac Eldorado Convertible hoarders waiting to be Millionaires!
                StudeRich
                Second Generation Stude Driver,
                Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Gary, the first number is a "6", not an "8".
                  Thanks. I guess that I couldn't see it clearly enough. The left side of the number did not look straight to me.
                  Gary L.
                  Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                  Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Working...
                  X