Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Forums abused by marketers,glad ours is safe...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Forums abused by marketers,glad ours is safe...

I was over on the Hotrodders.com web site.There is some very interesting reading about a marketing company and their sneaky marketing tactics,and about Coker Tires involvement. A lot can be read at Spankmymarketer.com.I am glad Mr Shaw is here to filter the B.S. on our beloved forum. (THANK YOU BOB) Employing the strange marketing tactics uncovered has eroded my already limited faith in some of these popular aftermarket companies. I have always been suspicious about colusion between the popular automotive magazines and the aftermarket companies that coincidently produce the necessary hard parts to modify your ride to the latest emerging trend the magazine is crowing about. Guess its all about the money...as usual!

Oh PSHAW! You're not insinuating that those Car rags would make one hand work with the other - are you???[}][}][}][}][}][}]

Miscreant adrift in
    the BerStuda Triangle

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
    1960 Larkvertible V8
    1958 Provincial wagon
    1953 Commander coupe

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Oh PSHAW! You're not insinuating that those Car rags would make one hand work with the other - are you???[}][}][}][}][}][}]

Miscreant adrift in
      the BerStuda Triangle

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
      1960 Larkvertible V8
      1958 Provincial wagon
      1953 Commander coupe

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

LOL- No-no insinuation!! And everything the politico's do is for my own good too! I read it somewhere..........on the net..........really,I did!!!!

Comment

LOL- No-no insinuation!! And everything the politico's do is for my own good too! I read it somewhere..........on the net..........really,I did!!!!

Comment

I have registered for a couple of other forums recently, and I'm seeing a lot of a little visual trick designed to foil automated registrations. The site presents you with a small image of a number of random letters or mumerals, displayed in pastel colors, and both distorted and randomly oriented. Readily enough readable by a human, but demanding better shape-recognition skills than most OCR software can muster. I'm sure if the forum gets inundated by spambots that something like that could be adopted.

Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands

Comment

I have registered for a couple of other forums recently, and I'm seeing a lot of a little visual trick designed to foil automated registrations. The site presents you with a small image of a number of random letters or mumerals, displayed in pastel colors, and both distorted and randomly oriented. Readily enough readable by a human, but demanding better shape-recognition skills than most OCR software can muster. I'm sure if the forum gets inundated by spambots that something like that could be adopted.

Comment

Trust me when I tell ya that it's almost a full time job to keep the slimeballs off/out of your forums! [}] I have to remove at least one per day, and have had up to 15 per day in the past. [B)]

I've banned about ALL of eastern Europe and the Asian basin, including Hong Kong. The real bad news is that internet service for Austrailia has to come from the Asian basin and has caused some problems for me and those from Austrailia... It never ends, but I'm hoping to install that same "fuzzy logic", security type registration on the racing forums.

Sonny
                http://RacingStudebakers.com
                Sonny

Comment

Trust me when I tell ya that it's almost a full time job to keep the slimeballs off/out of your forums! [}] I have to remove at least one per day, and have had up to 15 per day in the past. [B)]

I've banned about ALL of eastern Europe and the Asian basin, including Hong Kong. The real bad news is that internet service for Austrailia has to come from the Asian basin and has caused some problems for me and those from Austrailia... It never ends, but I'm hoping to install that same "fuzzy logic", security type registration on the racing forums.

Sonny
                  Sonny

Comment

You know, Sonny, with special-purpose forums like this one and yours, there's probably few enough registrants per day that the "fuzzy logic" application could run "upstairs" instead of on the Website.

You know, just post a small picture of some Studebaker part, like a Paxton blower, or V8 head, or of an entire car, and require registrants to tell you what the picture shows. Require that answers be reasonably detailed, without demanding nit-picking accuracy. "Studebaker V8" makes it; "engine" doesn't. That should foil the 'bots. Live spammers will still be able to manually register, although how many doofi from East Asia would know what a Paxton is? Cleverly-chosen pictures would be a "gimme" for most Studebaker fans, but quite an obstacle for most spammers.

Comment

You know, Sonny, with special-purpose forums like this one and yours, there's probably few enough registrants per day that the "fuzzy logic" application could run "upstairs" instead of on the Website.

You know, just post a small picture of some Studebaker part, like a Paxton blower, or V8 head, or of an entire car, and require registrants to tell you what the picture shows. Require that answers be reasonably detailed, without demanding nit-picking accuracy. "Studebaker V8" makes it; "engine" doesn't. That should foil the 'bots. Live spammers will still be able to manually register, although how many doofi from East Asia would know what a Paxton is? Cleverly-chosen pictures would be a "gimme" for most Studebaker fans, but quite an obstacle for most spammers.

Comment

quote:Originally posted by gordr

You know, just post a small picture of some Studebaker part, like a Paxton blower, or V8 head, or of an entire car, and require registrants to tell you what the picture shows. Require that answers be reasonably detailed, without demanding nit-picking accuracy. "Studebaker V8" makes it; "engine" doesn't. That should foil the 'bots.

I like your idea Gord, but if would have to be based upon "Studebaker for Dummies" as I'm sure a few folks like yourself, Craig, JP, StudeBob, StudeRich, Dick, Len and Dwain (sorry if I left some highly knowledgeable person out!! [:0] [:I])to mention but a few could ensure that you could have the Forum to yourselves! - unless it was an E series Truck question...[}]

<h5>Mark
                        '57 Transtar
                        3E-6/7-122
                        </h5>
                        Mark Hayden
                        '66 Commander

Comment

quote:Originally posted by gordr

You know, just post a small picture of some Studebaker part, like a Paxton blower, or V8 head, or of an entire car, and require registrants to tell you what the picture shows. Require that answers be reasonably detailed, without demanding nit-picking accuracy. "Studebaker V8" makes it; "engine" doesn't. That should foil the 'bots.

I like your idea Gord, but if would have to be based upon "Studebaker for Dummies" as I'm sure a few folks like yourself, Craig, JP, StudeBob, StudeRich, Dick, Len and Dwain (sorry if I left some highly knowledgeable person out!! [:0] [:I])to mention but a few could ensure that you could have the Forum to yourselves! - unless it was an E series Truck question...[}]

<h5>Mark
                          '57 Transtar
                          3E-6/7-122
                          </h5>
                          Mark Hayden
                          '66 Commander

Comment

I like the fuzzy logic idea, I've seen that used on a few other forums. For the picture idea if I could play the you know what Advocate here; The doofi from the Far East may not have any idear on a Paxton, but that won't stop them from Googling it elsewhere.

I'm also presuming that more than a few banned came from a certain sub continent over in Asia; we had a real problem with them over on the Yahoo chatrooms. Not only would they be asking and intentionally trying to add to a friend's list but they would also be advertising for them there below the equator products.

1964 Studebaker Commander R2 clone
                            1950 Studebaker 2R5 with 170 turbocharged
                            [img=left]http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t102/PlainBrownR2/DSC00003.jpg?t=1171152673[/img=left]
                            [img=right]http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t102/PlainBrownR2/DSC00009.jpg?t=1171153019[/img=right]
                            [img=left]http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t102/PlainBrownR2/DSC00002.jpg?t=1171153180[/img=left]
                            [img=right]http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t102/PlainBrownR2/DSC00005.jpg?t=1171153370[/img=right]
                            1963 Studebaker Daytona Hardtop with no engine or transmission
                            1950 Studebaker 2R5 w/170 six cylinder and 3spd OD
                            1955 Studebaker Commander Hardtop w/289 and 3spd OD and Megasquirt port fuel injection(among other things)

Comment

I like the fuzzy logic idea, I've seen that used on a few other forums. For the picture idea if I could play the you know what Advocate here; The doofi from the Far East may not have any idear on a Paxton, but that won't stop them from Googling it elsewhere.

I'm also presuming that more than a few banned came from a certain sub continent over in Asia; we had a real problem with them over on the Yahoo chatrooms. Not only would they be asking and intentionally trying to add to a friend's list but they would also be advertising for them there below the equator products.

1950 Studebaker 2R5 with 170 turbocharged
                              [img=left]http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t102/PlainBrownR2/DSC00003.jpg?t=1171152673[/img=left]
                              [img=right]http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t102/PlainBrownR2/DSC00009.jpg?t=1171153019[/img=right]
                              [img=left]http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t102/PlainBrownR2/DSC00002.jpg?t=1171153180[/img=left]
                              [img=right]http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t102/PlainBrownR2/DSC00005.jpg?t=1171153370[/img=right]
                              1963 Studebaker Daytona Hardtop with no engine or transmission
                              1950 Studebaker 2R5 w/170 six cylinder and 3spd OD
                              1955 Studebaker Commander Hardtop w/289 and 3spd OD and Megasquirt port fuel injection(among other things)

Comment

Working...
                              X