Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Car or Horse Drawn Body? Can any one give me some insight on what this is?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Peter Gariepy
    replied
    Originally posted by studeclunker View Post
    What this looks like to me is various parts cobbled together for yard art.
    Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, I just hope you didn't pay very much for it. The only thing of value in this body is the "dash".

I'm in agreement with you. It does feel cobbled together. I even considered it to be a replica from the 1950s. (ie like a CDO)

I've also never seen the logo applied to the dash like this before on any Studebaker.

The good news is, i got it free! But i'd like to know what I'm dealing with before I move forward. Its its authentic it would be a shame to ruin it.

Keep the feedback coming!

Leave a comment:

• studeclunker
    replied
    What this looks like to me is various parts cobbled together for yard art. Sorry, but that's what I see (and being from just a few pics, the assessment is difficult). The "Dash" looks to have been a tailboard or door for a commercial wagon. Note the stay irons on it. Those are definitely NOT original. No vehicle in my knowledge would have had such stays on the dash in that manner (major safety issue and trip-hazard). Also, electric or Horse-drawn, the seat is way too far back. The electric buggies and carriages had their seats in largely the same position and shape as their predecessors. The express and delivery wagons had their seats somewhat (like six to twelve inches) closer to the footboard and no dash. Otherwise, if there was a dash, the seat was in the same position (as horse-drawn). This was a functional issue. The seat has to be there or the vehicle doesn't work out right.

What I see is a seat taken from another vehicle and modified to fit the box of a spring wagon or Democrat. The dash was taken from some kind of delivery wagon and adapted to replace the dash (which would have been about twelve to eighteen inches in height originally). The tailgate is a grating from something like a heating or ventilation system. Since there is no floor and the base frame (or rockers as we call them) is missing, it is very hard to tell the original configuration. It's also very likely the only thing there that is Studebaker is the "Dash," which would make an excellent wall plaque.

The upholstery, what there is, and the metal edging suggest a reconstruction in the forties or fifties. This was commonly done. When they originally put this together it probably looked charming enough for the local parade or fair. Most people only had a rudimentary memory of horse-drawn vehicles and would have loved this.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, I just hope you didn't pay very much for it. The only thing of value in this body is the "dash".

Leave a comment:

• Peter Gariepy
    replied
    Click image for larger version

Name:	studebaker_national_electric_studebaker_1902STUDEElecb3.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	193.9 KB
ID:	1723907Click image for larger version

Name:	studebaker carraige.jpg
Size:	79.8 KB
ID:	1723908

The studebaker logo still throws me off.

Leave a comment:

• j.byrd
    replied
    Peter, get on Google images and type in 1902 Studebaker Carriages.... there is an electric 1902 model that matches pretty close.

Leave a comment:

• RadioRoy
    replied
    It certainly looks horse drawn to me. The flat dash board and the placement of the seat suggests that.
    Last edited by RadioRoy; 09-27-2018, 10:00 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Car or Horse Drawn Body? Can any one give me some insight on what this is?

Thanks in advance for any help. Peter

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4510.JPG
Size:	150.4 KB
ID:	1759506Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4511.JPG
Size:	148.2 KB
ID:	1759507Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4512.JPG