X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jerry Forrester
    replied
    Originally posted by plee4139 View Post
    I asked my wife to scoot under the dash and try to identify the rattle while I drove but I got distracted and wound up driving us over a cliff, killing us both. That won't stop me from trying to find that darn noise, though!
    If it rattles at idle, why would drive the car. Seems like the rattle would be easier to find while it's rattling and the car is sitting still.
    We're just trying to help. But you're just not letting us.

Leave a comment:

• Jerry Forrester
    replied
    I felt under the dash and there was some kind of bar or brace which felt loose so I reinforced it to know avail. I can't go under the dash with my head on the floor and my feet resting on the floor because it makes me nauseous. That's it for me until next spring when I let the body shop deal with it.
    You still haven't told us that you do in fact have the isolators in place on the hood hinge cross bar. If they are missing and the engine isn't running smooth you will have the rattle at idle as well as going down the road.

Leave a comment:

• plee4139
    replied
    I felt under the dash and there was some kind of bar or brace which felt loose so I reinforced it to know avail. I can't go under the dash with my head on the floor and my feet resting on the floor because it makes me nauseous. That's it for me until next spring when I let the body shop deal with it.

Leave a comment:

• studegary
    replied
    Originally posted by nels View Post
    I don’t know if this was mentioned but if it’s a CK type it could be the hood rods where they cross the top of the cowl. The rubber isolator, if not centered, allows the rod to rattle, against the top f the firewall. It sounds like a rattle under the dash.
    Posts #3 and #4.

Leave a comment:

• nels
    replied
    I don’t know if this was mentioned but if it’s a CK type it could be the hood rods where they cross the top of the cowl. The rubber isolator, if not centered, allows the rod to rattle, against the top f the firewall. It sounds like a rattle under the dash.

Leave a comment:

• Mrs K Corbin
    replied
    LOL I aint getting any where near you on my knees!

Leave a comment:

• plee4139
    replied
    I asked my wife to scoot under the dash and try to identify the rattle while I drove but I got distracted and wound up driving us over a cliff, killing us both. That won't stop me from trying to find that darn noise, though!

Leave a comment:

• plee4139
    replied
    It is the Sky Hawk. Sorry for the omission.

Leave a comment:

• plee4139
    replied
    Originally posted by Jerry Forrester View Post
    So, you're saying you still have the rattle?
    Yes. It even rattles while the car is warming up. As soon as I find someone who's physically able to scoot under the dash while I'm driving I'll do it. Everyone where I am right now is either physically unable and the men are all too big to fit under the car.

Leave a comment:

• markwhawk
    replied
    A common rattle on a Hawk is the right fender vent. There is spring that goes on the linkage to a hole in the vent opening. Posting the year and model would help.

Leave a comment:

• Jerry Forrester
    replied
    No derision or dismissal intended. I'm just frustrated by not being able to find the source of this noise. ideally, I would get someone to ride with me and squeeze under the dash with a stethescope to find the offending component, but everyone I know is too old and stiff to be able to do it. I guess I could do that and let someone else drive the car, but again, nobody's around to do it.
    So, you're saying you still have the rattle?

Leave a comment:

• plee4139
    replied
    No derision or dismissal intended. I'm just frustrated by not being able to find the source of this noise. ideally, I would get someone to ride with me and squeeze under the dash with a stethescope to find the offending component, but everyone I know is too old and stiff to be able to do it. I guess I could do that and let someone else drive the car, but again, nobody's around to do it.

Leave a comment:

• plee4139
    replied
    I'll check out the wiper linkage today.

Leave a comment:

• 8E45E
    replied
    Originally posted by jclary View Post
    Hey Stude Dude...I don't know if you had time to read through the entire thread, (or just responding to the title) but well-intended fellow forum members offered sincere suggestions and were rewarded with derision and dismissal...so at this point, why bother?
    Perhaps that 'bolt' he found on the floor was in fact a PENCIL he left on top of the dash that rolled down the defroster vent causing that rattle all those years until it fell out the heater vent onto the floor, and doesn't want to admit it!!

Craig

Leave a comment:

• jclary
    replied
    As brilliant as you all are, none of you correctly identified the source of arguably the worst old-car rattle ever. Although I haven't road tested it yet, I believe I've finally found the source: The bracket near the steering wheel which supports the dash was missing.Oddly enough, I remember seeing a bolt on the car floor quite a while ago, and I kept it just for this purpose. I'll post an update as soon as I get it on the road, and if there's just one little sound, you're all forbidden to post an opinion, ever!
    Originally posted by mbstude View Post
    You didn’t share much information towards a diagnoses, not even the model of car you own. “It appears to be coming from the heater blower” is a long ways from “I found a bolt on the floor a while ago and a brace is missing”.

Old cars aren’t for everyone.
    Hey Stude Dude...I don't know if you had time to read through the entire thread, (or just responding to the title) but well-intended fellow forum members offered sincere suggestions and were rewarded with derision and dismissal...so at this point, why bother?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X