X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'll check out the wiper linkage today.
    peter lee

Comment

No derision or dismissal intended. I'm just frustrated by not being able to find the source of this noise. ideally, I would get someone to ride with me and squeeze under the dash with a stethescope to find the offending component, but everyone I know is too old and stiff to be able to do it. I guess I could do that and let someone else drive the car, but again, nobody's around to do it.
      peter lee

Comment

Originally posted by plee4139 View Post
        No derision or dismissal intended. I'm just frustrated by not being able to find the source of this noise. ideally, I would get someone to ride with me and squeeze under the dash with a stethescope to find the offending component, but everyone I know is too old and stiff to be able to do it. I guess I could do that and let someone else drive the car, but again, nobody's around to do it.
        So, you're saying you still have the rattle?
        Jerry Forrester
        Forrester's Chrome
        Douglasville, Georgia

See all of Buttercup's pictures at https://imgur.com/a/tBjGzTk

Comment

A common rattle on a Hawk is the right fender vent. There is spring that goes on the linkage to a hole in the vent opening. Posting the year and model would help.

Comment

Originally posted by Jerry Forrester View Post
            So, you're saying you still have the rattle?
            Yes. It even rattles while the car is warming up. As soon as I find someone who's physically able to scoot under the dash while I'm driving I'll do it. Everyone where I am right now is either physically unable and the men are all too big to fit under the car.
            peter lee

Comment

It is the Sky Hawk. Sorry for the omission.
              peter lee

Comment

I asked my wife to scoot under the dash and try to identify the rattle while I drove but I got distracted and wound up driving us over a cliff, killing us both. That won't stop me from trying to find that darn noise, though!
                peter lee

Comment

LOL I aint getting any where near you on my knees!

Comment

I don’t know if this was mentioned but if it’s a CK type it could be the hood rods where they cross the top of the cowl. The rubber isolator, if not centered, allows the rod to rattle, against the top f the firewall. It sounds like a rattle under the dash.

Comment

Originally posted by nels View Post
                      I don’t know if this was mentioned but if it’s a CK type it could be the hood rods where they cross the top of the cowl. The rubber isolator, if not centered, allows the rod to rattle, against the top f the firewall. It sounds like a rattle under the dash.
                      Posts #3 and #4.
                      Gary L.
                      Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                      Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

I felt under the dash and there was some kind of bar or brace which felt loose so I reinforced it to know avail. I can't go under the dash with my head on the floor and my feet resting on the floor because it makes me nauseous. That's it for me until next spring when I let the body shop deal with it.
                        peter lee

Comment

I felt under the dash and there was some kind of bar or brace which felt loose so I reinforced it to know avail. I can't go under the dash with my head on the floor and my feet resting on the floor because it makes me nauseous. That's it for me until next spring when I let the body shop deal with it.
                          You still haven't told us that you do in fact have the isolators in place on the hood hinge cross bar. If they are missing and the engine isn't running smooth you will have the rattle at idle as well as going down the road.
                          Jerry Forrester
                          Forrester's Chrome
                          Douglasville, Georgia

Comment

I asked my wife to scoot under the dash and try to identify the rattle while I drove but I got distracted and wound up driving us over a cliff, killing us both. That won't stop me from trying to find that darn noise, though!
                            If it rattles at idle, why would drive the car. Seems like the rattle would be easier to find while it's rattling and the car is sitting still.
                            We're just trying to help. But you're just not letting us.
                            Jerry Forrester
                            Forrester's Chrome
                            Douglasville, Georgia

Comment

Working...
                            X