Gilmore Museum

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gilmore Museum

Here's is about the best collection of photos from the Museum I've seen in years. If the two or more Stude/Packard shots aren't enough, please move to SH.

http://s.mlive.com/o4c1ctj

Bob
    , ,

That is a nice museum.
    Diesel loving, autocrossing, Coupe express loving, Grandpa Architect.

Comment

And their last Wednesday cruise in is tonight!
      I can't go and missed last week when that dam distributor wire broke. Oh well, I can still visit just walk the barns. What a great place.

Comment

Originally posted by Michidan View Post
        And their last Wednesday cruise in is tonight!
        I can't go and missed last week when that dam distributor wire broke. Oh well, I can still visit just walk the barns. What a great place.
        Excellent point, As great as the museum is, there is just vehicle overload when you attend during a cruise-in or car show. They also allow interaction with the folks in the garages. I remember asking about the technology of a sleeve valve engine and 20 minutes later I knew way more than I thought I'd ever know.

You just can't get through it in a couple of hours and that's a good thing.

Bob
        , ,

Comment

We went there in 2016 , We spent about 6hrs and I could have spent 6 more. A fantastic museum , Ed

Comment

Thanks for the memories, Bob. We indulged in a terrific period correct lunch in the diner on our trip through in early summer, 2016 (thanks to being directed there by someone on our forum). It truly is a "must see" for we car folks.
            Bill

Comment

Nice pictures indeed! & a floor-shifted -54 Kaiser too...
              sigpic

Josephine
              Champion V8
              4d sedan

Comment

I was there a couple weeks ago because the Model A club holds a swap meet and car show there every year in September.
                This is good because the price of the swap meet also gets you into the museum, plus seeing hundreds of Model A's all parked together outside.
                If you're a member of MAFFI, then it's free to get in for this event.

Comment

For years, I've been wanting to visit the Gilmore. Maybe some day I'll make it.
                  Rog
                  '59 Lark VI Regal Hardtop
                  Smithtown,NY
                  Recording Secretary, Long Island Studebaker Club

Comment

Originally posted by raprice View Post
                    For years, I've been wanting to visit the Gilmore. Maybe some day I'll make it.
                    Rog
                    You'll also want to take a short drive to South Bend to visit the Studebaker National Museum.
                    I spent 4 hours there visiting all 3 levels. Gilmore will take a full day to see it all.

Comment

Originally posted by sweetolbob View Post
                      Excellent point, As great as the museum is, there is just vehicle overload when you attend during a cruise-in or car show. They also allow interaction with the folks in the garages. I remember asking about the technology of a sleeve valve engine and 20 minutes later I knew way more than I thought I'd ever know.

You just can't get through it in a couple of hours and that's a good thing.

Bob
                      Knight's Garage, the Studebaker dealer in Wappingers Falls, NY, was big on sleeve valve engines and their repair. They had a very large stock of NOS sleeve valve engine parts in the attic of their shop building. The building burned down and I assume that all of those parts went with the fire.
                      Gary L.
                      Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                      Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

I mentioned here; http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...hlight=Gilmore that I spent two full days at the Gilmore Museum to really appreciate it.

Craig

Comment

When at the last IM in South Bend I visited the Gilmore. This was the second time I had been there and still found it a fabulous and unique experience. I think that to take in all that this place has to offer, you really need to set aside a good portion of a day or two.
                          Joe Roberts
                          '61 R1 Champ
                          '65 Cruiser
                          Eastern North Carolina Chapter

Comment

Originally posted by JRoberts View Post
                            When at the last IM in South Bend I visited the Gilmore. This was the second time I had been there and still found it a fabulous and unique experience. I think that to take in all that this place has to offer, you really need to set aside a good portion of a day or two.
                            Right, Joe; the Gilmore is a one-day minimum. I've only been there once, but it was a full day. I was waiting out front in the morning when they unlocked the doors and was the last one to leave when they threw me out at 5:00 PM. BP
                            We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

Ayn Rand:
                            "You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality."

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Ditto for us Bob. We stayed in Kalamazoo and should have allowed two days for the museum as one day simply didn't cut it leaving lots of interesting stuff out.
                              Oh well maybe a reason for another road trip.
                              Cheers, Bill

Comment

Working...
                              X