Ebay Strike February 18-25th

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ebay Strike February 18-25th

As a buyer AND seller on Ebay, I think there is a huge problem on the horizon. If you don't know what is going on, I encourage you to check Google or this site here:

http://youtube.com/user/crazeenydriver

And here:

http://search.reviews.ebay.com/members/jjgoodwin

And here:

http://www.ebaymotorssucks.com/

To keep this Studebaker related, I bought MANY of the parts for my Cruiser off Ebay and as we all know it's become a prime source of parts and cars. Ebay is removing the rights of sellers to leave negative feedback against a buyer, and is increasing their ending auctions fees by 60%. This means it will cost MUCH more when you sell something on Ebay (particularly a smaller part), and if the buyer gives you a hard time or stiffs you (which has happened to me on numerous occasions) you as a seller will not have a right to leave anything but a positive feedback against that buyer.

I'm supporting a world-wide boycott of Ebay from February 18th until February 25th. Don't buy or sell there during that time. Let's see if we can make some sort of dent in Ebay's fender.

Mark Anderson
    Member SDC and FMCA
    Keeper of the Studebaker Cruiser Registry
    http://home.alltel.net/anderm

My next Studebaker is in the future, but now getting my hair messed up in a Sebring ragtop!
    Almost as fun as a Studebaker!

Mark: I hope enough people do this to make it effective. The beauty of Ebay(fleabay on Corvair sites(LOL)) was the feedback BOTH WAYS and the rating of buyers and sellers. It is a great tool for us old car lovers to get rare parts instead of doing without. Ernie

'55 Regal Commander, 259/auto.
    "life is a one-way ride and I'm gonna have some fun--there are no replays"

Comment

Mark: I hope enough people do this to make it effective. The beauty of Ebay(fleabay on Corvair sites(LOL)) was the feedback BOTH WAYS and the rating of buyers and sellers. It is a great tool for us old car lovers to get rare parts instead of doing without. Ernie

'55 Regal Commander, 259/auto.
      "life is a one-way ride and I'm gonna have some fun--there are no replays"

Comment

Here are the new fees...

http://pages.ebay.com/sell/update08/basic/

Looks like a 1-3% increase...not a 60% increase...but insertion fees go down. A net increase, but not much (about a net 70 cent increase on a $25 part).

If you think you can get more exposure, better prices, reach a bigger market, sell more items, with less time and trouble on your part at a swap meet or some other venue...have at it.

IMHO, eBay could DOUBLE their prices and it would still be a bargain.

Dick Steinkamp
        Bellingham, WA

Comment

Here are the new fees...

http://pages.ebay.com/sell/update08/basic/

Looks like a 1-3% increase...not a 60% increase...but insertion fees go down. A net increase, but not much (about a net 70 cent increase on a $25 part).

If you think you can get more exposure, better prices, reach a bigger market, sell more items, with less time and trouble on your part at a swap meet or some other venue...have at it.

IMHO, eBay could DOUBLE their prices and it would still be a bargain.

Dick Steinkamp
          Bellingham, WA

Comment

On most of my auctions I post "Positive feedbackers only on this auction please" That means don't have negative and don't give negative. I have never left a negative. I actually do allow people with negative feedback to bid, but I'm leary of people who leave negative. What's the point? But to disarm a seller of this option is a mistake on two points. Why have a feedback option for sellers at all? Just add a point for every purchase. As far as leaving a feedback for a buyer when they pay for an item; there's a lot more to it than that. What if there's a problem in shipping or damage in transit? Equal power makes people more interested in working out problems with each other. I think I might take part in the strike.

Comment

On most of my auctions I post "Positive feedbackers only on this auction please" That means don't have negative and don't give negative. I have never left a negative. I actually do allow people with negative feedback to bid, but I'm leary of people who leave negative. What's the point? But to disarm a seller of this option is a mistake on two points. Why have a feedback option for sellers at all? Just add a point for every purchase. As far as leaving a feedback for a buyer when they pay for an item; there's a lot more to it than that. What if there's a problem in shipping or damage in transit? Equal power makes people more interested in working out problems with each other. I think I might take part in the strike.

Comment

The only problem I had with the feedback system was a lot of the sellers would wait on feedback from the buyer before giving it. The seller should give feedback as soon as the item is sold and paid for.
                That leaves the buyer to give honest feedback on condition as described and shipping time.
                I would like to see "full disclosure" on damaged and wrecked vehicles including engine swaps with engine numbers in the auction listings on late model vehicles.
                64 Champ long bed V8
                55/53 Studebaker President S/R
                53 Hudson Super Wasp Coupe

Comment

The only problem I had with the feedback system was a lot of the sellers would wait on feedback from the buyer before giving it. The seller should give feedback as soon as the item is sold and paid for.
                  That leaves the buyer to give honest feedback on condition as described and shipping time.
                  I would like to see "full disclosure" on damaged and wrecked vehicles including engine swaps with engine numbers in the auction listings on late model vehicles.
                  64 Champ long bed V8
                  55/53 Studebaker President S/R
                  53 Hudson Super Wasp Coupe

Comment

Comment

Comment

Count me out- I'm not in total agreement with some of the changes, but it is THE marketplace today.

I prefer to instead figure out how to make the changes work for me... and my experience tells me that most things aren't nearly as bad as I might first think.

I got about halfway through the YouTube guy and couldn't take him anymore- slimy guy! Then I remembered I set myself up by going to a professional malcontent's site... with these folks, the message gets tainted by the TYPE of person.

I'll stay a big fan- and user- of eBay until it doesn't work for me; at which time I'll just stop and move on.

I won't be wasting time working myself up and putting up websites.

"ebaysucks.com"......[xx(]

Robert (Bob) Andrews Owner- Studebakeracres- on the IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys!)
                        Parish, central NY 13131

Comment

Count me out- I'm not in total agreement with some of the changes, but it is THE marketplace today.

I prefer to instead figure out how to make the changes work for me... and my experience tells me that most things aren't nearly as bad as I might first think.

I got about halfway through the YouTube guy and couldn't take him anymore- slimy guy! Then I remembered I set myself up by going to a professional malcontent's site... with these folks, the message gets tainted by the TYPE of person.

I'll stay a big fan- and user- of eBay until it doesn't work for me; at which time I'll just stop and move on.

I won't be wasting time working myself up and putting up websites.

"ebaysucks.com"......[xx(]

Robert (Bob) Andrews Owner- Studebakeracres- on the IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys!)
                          Parish, central NY 13131

Comment

Final value fees are going from 5.25% to 8.75%. That looks strangely like a 60% increase to me. Yes, they did drop the initial cost of the auction, but that's WAY offset by the increase in Final Value Fee.

Also, taking away the rights of a seller to leave negative feedback against a buyer is taking away one of the fundamental reasons for having feedback in the first place. I for one want to know if one of my buyers has been a problem in the past.

How would you feel if you sold a car on Ebay and after the close of the auction a buyer tells you they want a partial refund because of something wrong with the car (that may or may not be true) and if you don't refund the money, they'll leave you a negative?

From the web (I didn't write this):

Comment

Final value fees are going from 5.25% to 8.75%. That looks strangely like a 60% increase to me. Yes, they did drop the initial cost of the auction, but that's WAY offset by the increase in Final Value Fee.

Also, taking away the rights of a seller to leave negative feedback against a buyer is taking away one of the fundamental reasons for having feedback in the first place. I for one want to know if one of my buyers has been a problem in the past.

How would you feel if you sold a car on Ebay and after the close of the auction a buyer tells you they want a partial refund because of something wrong with the car (that may or may not be true) and if you don't refund the money, they'll leave you a negative?

From the web (I didn't write this):

Comment

Working...
                              X