No announcement yet.

Dunkirk NY Studebaker Swap Meet

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I would be very interested in a swap meet in York in March.

Comment

Besides the burnout of the Keystone chapter members, my understanding is that the fairgrounds were charging over ten grand to host the event for the weekend. Does it have to be "in York?" How far of a radius within the region for an alternative site makes sense? To me, not only would an affordable venue need to be located, the most important thing would be finding a group of people, who could get along well enough, to come together and make it happen. The venue would need to be accessible to decent roads, with motels/restaurants in the reasonable distance. Then...those of us who talk a good game would need to step up and attend.
      John Clary
      Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

Originally posted by jclary View Post
        Besides the burnout of the Keystone chapter members, my understanding is that the fairgrounds were charging over ten grand to host the event for the weekend. Does it have to be "in York?" How far of a radius within the region for an alternative site makes sense? To me, not only would an affordable venue need to be located, the most important thing would be finding a group of people, who could get along well enough, to come together and make it happen. The venue would need to be accessible to decent roads, with motels/restaurants in the reasonable distance. Then...those of us who talk a good game would need to step up and attend.
        sigpic

Home of the Fried Green Tomato

"IF YOU WANT THE SMILES YOU NEED TO DO THE MILES "

1960 Champ , 1966 Daytona , 1965 Daytona Wagonaire

Comment

Originally posted by 2R5 View Post
          i think all you mentioned is at Dunkirk ������
          Well...I have no quarrel with you about Dunkirk. For you, it may be on your horizon. However, for many of us, it is beyond our horizon. At my age, many things are disappearing over the horizon. The name Dunkirk is seared into my brain from my history classes...but it is not associated with the state of New York, or a Studebaker swap meet.

I would love to attend the meet and hope it thrives and survives for years. It is my belief that having more such events in different locations is to the benefit of all.

Dunkirk may be an alternative to York for some, but not even a consideration for others. Not so much for the State, it is in...but the "State" we are in.
          John Clary
          Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

Well I have no problem with York either attended that for 30+ years . I don’t miss the march timing though , many years we drove through bad weather to get there making a typical 8 hr trip sometimes into 10 to 12 hours . In fact If I’m not mistaken it was bad weather on the way to York that Mr Stone got into the fatal accident that took his wife . Having a swap in September is a breath of fresh air imho..
            Last edited by 2R5; 09-29-2018, 12:30 PM.
            sigpic

Home of the Fried Green Tomato

"IF YOU WANT THE SMILES YOU NEED TO DO THE MILES "

1960 Champ , 1966 Daytona , 1965 Daytona Wagonaire

Comment

FYI Keystone investigated several other venues when York Expo Center priced so high. Nothing suitable could be found.

Comment

The york area....Reading area.....harrisburg......March would work. R
                64 GT R1 4sp Hawk
                Mohawk Trails Chapter SDC

Comment

Originally posted by my2R5 View Post
                  Steve, thanks for getting this going. I can only see it growing. Personally I much prefer swap meets in the fall. The winter is when the work is usually done so it is nice to have the parts before the work commences.
                  Trust me... you do not want a swap meet in March in western New York... you would have to bring long johns and a snow shovel.
                  Steve Grant
                  a.k.a. the Madd Doodler
                  www.madddoodler.com
                  Kinzua Region Chapter
                  1881 Grain Wagon
                  1951 Champion Starlight Coupe 1:1 scale model kit
                  1951 Champion business coupe Pro Street (project)
                  1959 Lark 2 dr sdn
                  1963 Avanti R2 4 spd
                  1963 Avanti R2 auto

Comment

Originally posted by 2R5 View Post
                    In fact If I’m not mistaken it was bad weather on the way to York that Mr Stone got into the fatal accident that took his wife.
                    You are mistaken about Lionel Stone. He was traveling with a dangerously overloaded truck and blew a tire causing him to lose control. It was not weather related.

Not only will I miss York, I will miss a meet in March. I always looked forward to that as sort of my kick off to the season. It was a good time to pick up a few things for a car I might be getting ready for the summer season. It also seemed like a good balance for the Studebaker hobby – one meet in spring and one in fall. Now you have Dunkirk and Reedsville almost back to back.

The Dunkirk meet is a good one. But it will forever be hard for me to go because I have a lot of long-standing things going on this time of year. In March it was always pretty easy to take a weekend to go to a meet. I realize that’s just me though, others’ mileage may vary.
                    Proud NON-CASO

I do not prize the word "cheap." It is not a badge of honor...it is a symbol of despair. ~ William McKinley

If it is decreed that I should go down, then let me go down linked with the truth - let me die in the advocacy of what is just and right.- Lincoln

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Ephesians 6:10-17
                    Romans 15:13
                    Deuteronomy 31:6
                    Proverbs 28:1

Illegitimi non carborundum

Comment

As I stated, we at Keystone checked most surrounding areas within a 50 mile radius of York, Pa. and found no suitable venue. The rising costs, plus the rising age of us members is what prompted the end of an icon. Sad as it is-- The Studebaker York Swap Meet will most likely not rise out of the ashes like a phoenix---in any close proximity. Thank goodnes for Steve stepping up and providing a viable alternative in the same general area.

Comment

if a meet is worked out, it will not be affiliated in any way with the Keystone Studebaker Club , but it will be an all Studebaker and Avanti meet. any questions you can P.M. me thanks

Comment

Originally posted by 8E45E View Post
                          From Steve Grant's photo album: (Not sure in one has to be a Fecesbook member or not to view these, but it does look like it was well attended.)

https://www.facebook.com/28380883216...&theater&ifg=1

Craig

Pics of the Dunkirk Meet from Facebook

http://www.studebaker-info.org/Photo...18/dk2018.html
                          64 GT Hawk (K7)
                          1970 Avanti (R3)

Comment

Originally posted by 64V-K7 View Post
                            Pics of the Dunkirk Meet from Facebook

http://www.studebaker-info.org/Photo...18/dk2018.html
                            Thank you for the pictures. My first observation is that 90% of the people with natural hair color have gray hair. This makes me wonder who will be purchasing these items in the near future.
                            Gary L.
                            Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                            Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Working...
                            X