• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Scott
    replied
    Thanks for the leads!
    Originally posted by 58PackardWagon View Post
    I had heard a number of positive comments about LaMattrey's in Minneapolis. Middle of the road painter with a mid range price.

A really nice high quality, high end painter who does a phenomenal job is TJ Design in Jordan, MN.

Leave a comment:

• 58PackardWagon
    replied
    I had heard a number of positive comments about LaMattrey's in Minneapolis. Middle of the road painter with a mid range price.

A really nice high quality, high end painter who does a phenomenal job is TJ Design in Jordan, MN.

Leave a comment:

• jclary
    replied
    Originally posted by Scott View Post
    It would be an insurance job. That's one reason I don't want to take several months to find a shop...
    Well...that little bit of information changes things. Just beware of the painter who brags too much about how good he is at buffing paint. The better the painter, the less buffing required.

Leave a comment:

• Scott
    replied
    It would be an insurance job. That's one reason I don't want to take several months to find a shop...

Leave a comment:

• jclary
    replied
    Yes, they make sense, but going to shows and talking to people at this time of year isn't going to be very quick.
    I understand that. But...you can either do a job "FAST"...or HALF-FAST! (repeat that rapidly three times & you'll get my point)

One of my life's fortunate blessings was that one of my (too many) career changes occurred as I was developing an income sufficient to expand my interest, participation, and collection in the car hobby. I was not selling to body shops, but industrial manufacturing where many of the tools were involved, only on a much more sophisticated and larger scale. At that time, the owner appreciated, encouraged, and supported my enthusiasm to learn skills that supported understanding and knowledge of the equipment I was providing to our accounts. It turned out to be a win-win for all.

As I was developing a sales territory for industrial accounts, I got a bright idea to develop a subset of local body shop customers. I soon learned that many of the local body shop operators are highly independent, very individual in their processes/skills, set in their ways, and seemingly always troubled trying to be profitable while, at the same time, keeping employees, satisfying customers, complying with regulations, and making a profit. Almost all of them wanted everything at a discount, but few had good enough credit or volume to justify my time.

So, with very few exceptions, I abandoned that project. However, after seeing what methods many of them used (and got away with), it gave me confidence that I could learn the skills needed to do much of my own work. A lot of folks in the bodywork business are about as hardheaded and cantankerous as us SDC members and have to run their own business because they are too ornery to work for anyone else. I really admire them. It ain't easy.

My most extensive restoration took me six years. All the while, I was gathering tools, buying parts, learning skills, and providing for my family. I learned it's not easy to work & play too! For me, it has been a fun experience...as much about the journey as the destination.

Now that I'm retired, older, not as much energy or physical stamina, I'd probably turn over many tasks to others and pay the price. But, before turning over my hard earned cash to someone else, I think I would still do some homework/research. I think seeking opinions here is OK, but it is your money and if you let us...we'll be happy to offer you all kinds of opinions about getting rid of it.

I only hope you find a great deal, someone you can work with, and end up with a paint job you are proud of. Good luck and let us know.

Leave a comment:

• Scott
    replied
    That's good to know! This Cruiser is or was Yellowknife Gold. I brought it here from Oregon. Rust free (99.99%) and solid floors. :-)
    Originally posted by 64LarkLover View Post
    Scott,
    I had my 64 Commander painted by the MAACO in Richfield (just off Cedar Ave) a few years back. The body prep required was minimal and with the paint job it came to $2,600 or 2,700 all together. That was almost three years ago and the work has held up well. Hope this is of help. Is this the red Cruiser?
    Rick

Leave a comment:

• Scott
    replied
    Yes, they make sense, but going to shows and talking to people at this time of year isn't going to be very quick.
    Originally posted by sweetolbob View Post
    Possibly so you could ask if 600 or 800 grit wet/dry is best for initial orange peel removal or if polyester or epoxy hi-build is better over fiberglass. I like to let the moderator's do what they do and get on with subject at hand.

BTW - Do any of our suggestions make any sense?

Bob

Leave a comment:

• 64LarkLover
    replied
    Scott,
    I had my 64 Commander painted by the MAACO in Richfield (just off Cedar Ave) a few years back. The body prep required was minimal and with the paint job it came to $2,600 or 2,700 all together. That was almost three years ago and the work has held up well. Hope this is of help. Is this the red Cruiser?
    Rick

Leave a comment:

• TWChamp
    replied
    Sometimes trade schools will take on such a project and may charge only for materials.

Leave a comment:

• sweetolbob
    replied
    OK, but then why is there a selection for "Paint" in the drop down???
    Possibly so you could ask if 600 or 800 grit wet/dry is best for initial orange peel removal or if polyester or epoxy hi-build is better over fiberglass. I like to let the moderator's do what they do and get on with subject at hand.

BTW - Do any of our suggestions make any sense?

Bob

Leave a comment:

• Scott
    replied
    OK, but then why is there a selection for "Paint" in the drop down???
    Originally posted by showbizkid View Post
    Post moved to General - please use Tech Talk only for technical topics and questions.

Leave a comment:

• showbizkid
    replied
    Post moved to General - please use Tech Talk only for technical topics and questions.

Leave a comment:

• jclary
    replied
    In addition to asking around at cruise-ins, car events, etc., do a search for body shop paint suppliers, who sell paint, tooling, and equipment. Try to speak to their manager, long-time employees, etc., and ask who they recommend. In this business, there are lots of amateurs, start-ups, and outright hustlers. Even with today's regulations, and local codes, there are still folks who buy a few tools, spray gun, air compressor, put up a rickety shed and claim they can paint your car.

In addition, there are the fender bender insurance claim body shops. Many of them do great work, but taking in an "old car" on the side often gets short shrift, and not the attention it deserves. I don't blame you for being cautious. Ask around. For my experience, the suppliers will be a little reluctant to recommend a shop that does not pay their bills on time, nor will they want to send you to someone who will reflect poorly on their reputation. Better to pay a little more to an established shop with proper equipment, than some rube with a sketchy shop, experience, and zero passion for your car.

AS for Maaco, Econo Paint, and similar operations, some are better than others. I have used them with mixed results. I always ask things like what paint they use, what spray guns, and how experienced their painter is. I also like to look at their facilities to see how clean the booth/filters, and what kind of separation they have between the prep and spray facilities. Then, look at some of their finished work out of the booth. A lot of these businesses contract with local used car dealers. I have even had a couple of these shops to use paint I supplied. I spent years selling, installing, and training employees on how finishing equipment is to be set up, operated, maintained and repaired. However, I have never spent days on end operating the equipment as a painter. Therefore, I respect the knowledge, and skill of the person earning his living everyday wielding a spray gun for a living. In fact, I don't claim to be a painter and I have the cars to prove it.

So...if you find a shop, and get satisfactory answers as to their competence...by all means, use them regardless of the name on the door. If they screw it up...then make a legitimate case. If they are reputable, they will treat you fairly in most cases.

Leave a comment:

• sweetolbob
    replied
    Just a thought, but around this neck of the woods you are in the range that some of the lower cost body shops charge as well as some of the young folks that prep and paint after work. Ask around at club meetings or local car shows for info and recommendations on the local talent.

Leave a comment:

• Scott
    started a topic Recommendations for paint shop in Mpls west metro

Recommendations for paint shop in Mpls west metro

Can someone please give me some recommendations of places to get a quote on repainting my 66 Cruiser? I've taken it to Maaco in Burnsville, but I didn't like the manager much. Maybe another Maaco? Abra? It has to be a budget paint job (Maaco quoted about $3300, so it needs to be something close to that). Thanks.
Working...
X