50th Tri-State Meet

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 50th Tri-State Meet

Great time for a trip to the mountains................
    Attached Files
    Jack White
    Charlotte,NC
    North Carolina Studebaker Drivers Club

I'll see you there!
    Paul
    Winston-Salem, NC
    Visit The Studebaker Skytop Registry website at: www.studebakerskytop.com

Comment

Oh Boy! The very first SDC event I ever attended was this one in the mid-1970’s! I returned from “NAM” November 5, 1968, conned my way into college in late 1969, married new years day ‘71, graduated college in ‘73, became a father in ‘74, and bought my first Studebaker (‘55 pickup) in 1975!

It was the summer of ‘75 that I learned there was an organization called the Studebaker Drivers Club. I believe it was David Walker (Chesnee SC), who invited me to attend. So, I showed up. What a sight! My wife, a nurse, had to work that weekend, so here I was, infant daughter (diaper bag & all), wide-eyed, like a deer in the headlights, clueless, and not knowing what to expect! Thanks to Sandra Walker for taking charge and rescuing Jenifer. She took pity on her and provided appropriate care for my little girl as I made new friends and began my journey into the Studebaker experience! It was at this first event that I managed to find (and afford to buy) one hubcap. There were only three on my truck when I bought it.

Last year, I took parts and sold enough to pay for my expenses. I am hoping to make it this time, but a late summer cold has sidelined me and delayed preparations. My mom (97) is in a nearby nursing facility, and I never know when I need to make a dash over there. In addition, my high-school class of ‘63 is having our annual dinner on the same weekend. Out of about 48, our numbers are dwindling. It is 105 miles from Maggie Valley, and I would like to attend both, but I think I’ll have to choose one or the other.
      The sad part is that within both groups... two SDC members, and two of my classmates are no longer with us. In a way, each of these gatherings represents Life-Launch contributions for my life's journey. For now, my intent is to show up at Maggie Valley, as long as my health and circumstances will allow.

While the exact venue for this meet has varied through the years, and it is called the TRI-STATE...there have been visitors from the four corners of our nation! The current location is great! The organizers are great, and in my experience, the fun always exceeds any complaints. Last year, because the highways were clogged up with the residents of Florida and Georgia evacuating from the path of a hurricane, we still managed to have a blast once we got there. So, if you are longing for an escape from the long hot summer, and wishing for a few hours among like-minded Studebaker friends...pack a bag, hop in your favorite vehicle (we welcome all), and enjoy the fun.

Below, are two scanned photos of my first Tri-State meets. The one with my daughter in the little hoodie was the first. I have no clue whose Avanti that is. The next was someone’s 192? sedan. Jennifer and I both fell in love with it. There were several other pre-war cars there even more elaborate than this one, but I don’t have those pictures handy. If you have never attended, or if it’s been a long time...find a way...you too can have some cherished memories!

1975Click image for larger version

Name:	Jennifer & Me 1975 first Stude Show.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	103.2 KB
ID:	17236441976 Click image for larger version

Name:	Jennifer 2nd tri state meet 1976.jpg
Size:	82.0 KB
ID:	1723645

John Clary
      Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

Hope you can join us. Bring Jennifer! Love the pictures and your great memories. If you make it to Tri-State,can you bring these pictures for our Memoriablia display? Let us know if you need us to print them. These are the stories that help us remember and celebrate the 50 years of this meet .

Comment

Have fun next weekend!

40% to 60% chance of thunderstorms Fri/Sat/Sun

http://www.intellicast.com/Local/Wea...ation=USNC0411
          Last edited by DEEPNHOCK; 09-07-2018, 07:38 AM.
          HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

Originally posted by DEEPNHOCK View Post
            Have fun this weekend!

....or 60% to 40% chance of thunderstorms.....

The green car has been wet before.
            Joe Roberts
            '61 R1 Champ
            '65 Cruiser
            Eastern North Carolina Chapter

Comment

Originally posted by Linda White View Post
              Hope you can join us. Bring Jennifer! Love the pictures and your great memories. If you make it to Tri-State,can you bring these pictures for our Memoriablia display? Let us know if you need us to print them. These are the stories that help us remember and celebrate the 50 years of this meet .
              Thanks for your kind comments, Linda! You inspired me to dig a little deeper in my clutter of pics. WOW!!! Look at what I just found! Here's a picture of our beloved recently departed George Reitenour! I can't think of a better memory tribute than to see him in his element. Sitting next to his '36 Coupe, relaxed with an album of his exploits, and underneath, a wonderful collection of watches in that display case! I believe a couple of these shots were on the field when we held the event in Black Mountain, N.C.

Then, there's the time the Schrock brothers showed up with their rolling sculpture of art expressed as a Studebaker Boattail Roadster! My Polaroid snapshot does not do it justice, but even so, the excellence of their craftsmanship comes through. It is a testament to the fact that if you are going to modify something...do it well...and it possesses admiration and value without explanation. While I doubt that they remember, I had a brief discussion with them regarding restoration & bodywork in which they gave me a few pointers that have served me well through the years.

Be sure to click on each pic if you'd like to see them larger and in more detail.

Linda, I don't know if I can get the pics presentable in time for the meet. (I know...I've only had a year) I used to have them sorta organized in an album I would bring to meets, but after having a few pics pilfered, I got a little discouraged and the album has become a bit tattered & disorganized. You are welcome to copy the pics from here and print them as you wish. If there is a problem, PM me and we'll try to work something out.

Click image for larger version

Name:	George Reitenour.jpg
Size:	139.3 KB
ID:	1723649 Click image for larger version

Name:	1990-..jpg
Size:	138.7 KB
ID:	1723650 Click image for larger version

Name:	Schrocks Boattail Roadster.jpg
Size:	93.0 KB
ID:	1723651
              John Clary
              Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

We will have fun..............The NCSDC and surrounding club members are the most dedicated I know. It would be easy to stay home and worry about the weather but our Tri-State family will crank up and head to the mountains. Weather can cause a local club to lose thousands of dollars spent up front to put on these big meets. Hope to see everyone in Maggie Valley September 14th and 15th.
                Jack White
                NCSDC

Originally posted by DEEPNHOCK View Post
                Have fun this weekend!

Jack White
                Charlotte,NC

Comment

Jeff, Our meet is next weekend. A little early for reliable forecast but looks much better than this weekend. Let's all hope for great weather.

Comment

Yes'm...
                    Keep an eye out for 94L and Florence....and.....

Click image for larger version

Name:	Florence.jpg
Size:	70.7 KB
ID:	1723662

Originally posted by Linda White View Post
                    Jeff, Our meet is next weekend. A little early for reliable forecast but looks much better than this weekend. Let's all hope for great weather.
                    Last edited by DEEPNHOCK; 09-07-2018, 01:07 PM.

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Comment

As a longtime resident of the SE...
                      Don't take any of this lightly.
                      This will affect the Tri-State Meet.
                      Probably not anything significant, but it does require attention, and planning.
                      Remember Hurricane Floyd, and the damage it did in Charlotte?
                      Asheviile (Maggie Valley) is only 100 miles away, and that is nothing to a hurricane.
                      All I am suggesting is to plan accordingly.
                      Ask the resort if you can stay a few more days. Pack some extra goodies if the power grid goes down.
                      I'd rather be in Maggie Valley than Savannah if it gets ugly...
                      But it is our club members that are important....

Jeff

Comment

No rain or wind from Floyd...............
                        Jack White
                        Charlotte,NC

Comment

Today, already steamer hot, I am still a bit down on energy as I recover from this blasted summer cold. However, I pulled the old Stude pickup-bed trailer out of the weeds and began prepping it to haul a few parts to the meet. I have a contingency plan. If I get my '55 truck serviced & ready...I'm tempted to install a couple of 6-volt bulbs in the taillights on the trailer and use my six cylinder powered E-5 to pull the trailer to the meet. If the weather looks too bad, I can still use the Dodge truck.

To make the load lighter, I have eliminated the two old military wooden ammo boxes that were heavier than the parts stored in them. Also, replaced the old worn & tattered cardboard boxes that held parts. I've consolidated six boxes of parts into three plastic containers. For me, it is only about 100 miles away, depending on which route (s) I use to avoid interstate traffic. So, unless it is complete weather mayhem, my plan is to be there unless some other unforeseen problems come up.

One additional suggestion would be for someone to provide a phone contact to those on the road who might be in need of help along the way. If for nothing more than discussing options of how to deal with a breakdown, or contact point for members willing to assist. Just a thought. Not that we are obligated to provide "babysitter service," but sometimes, a little sympathetic word of encouragement is a big help.
                          John Clary
                          Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

We are going to be there. Our grandchildren will not be with us this year. Their parents had planned a trip to Atlanta and a Braves game. Plan of doing a little music Saturday night with Studebaker songs. Sad that this will be the first year without Ernie Padget whose acquaintance I made at the Tri-state meet several years ago and became a very good friend. Guess I might need to bring a tarp because I'm driving the convertible. It hasn't been in a heavy rain since it was painted. Hope to ee all the old friends there. (Matt, I hope you bring the Land Cruiser.)

Comment

If Florence doesn't wash us away, I'm still planning on being there...although driving Stuey is somewhat weather-dependant.
                              Mike Davis
                              Regional Manager, North Carolina
                              1964 Champ 8E7-122 "Stuey"

Comment

Working...
                              X