Studebaker Boat

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Studebaker Boat

Did Studebaker make any boats? I have come across a Studebaker boat made in the mid 50's , Aluminum ??

There was a small boat mfg co in Topeka, KS that made the aluminum boats. The company owners name was Studebaker. I am in Kaw Valley Chap SDC in Topeka. One of the members there used to work at the boat company

Comment

Thank you ,the fellow wants it to go to a Studebaker person who will appreciate it ,but I am not sure of its connection to our cars, It would be fun to put it on top of my 54 c-cab at shows.

Comment

While not a Studebaker, Raymond Loewy designed the Dorsett Catalina boat that was sold in the early 1960's. Would look nice behind a classic Studebaker.

Comment

I've seen old magazine ads for Studebaker engines built for boats.
          It was the flathead 6 with special manifolds and water pump.

Comment

I believe there was a boat builder around Portland, Oregon who bought up a bunch of surplus R2 motors after Studebaker stopped US production. They went into custom boats. I wonder if any survived? I think they were also selling some of the R2s as "crate" motors.

Comment

Originally posted by jetboat View Post
              Thank you ,the fellow wants it to go to a Studebaker person who will appreciate it ,but I am not sure of its connection to our cars, It would be fun to put it on top of my 54 c-cab at shows.
              Any pics of the boat? And how much?
              Mike Davis
              1964 Champ 8E7-122 "Stuey"

Comment

Originally posted by jetboat View Post
                Personally...I don't think that "Studebaker" auto connection is all that important. To me, it's all about the era connection, as in any item's connection/presentation/display that relates to its historical period. Whether a farm implement, boat, camper trailer, child's pedal car, jukebox, pinball machine, etc...it relates just as much by the period represented. The company itself went through many corporate endeavors and ventures from its early days of horse-drawn vehicles, watches, implements, military, etc. Those with a direct company link are special, but my opinion is that other period-related items are almost equal in providing context to their time.

I have the remains of a very neat (1947) small Feather Craft hooded runabout boat. The hull is pin-holed and corroded, but if I could get my act together and come up with a small period correct trailer, it would look great to haul behind any of my Studebakers of the same era.
                John Clary
                Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

Your boat sounds like the perfect candidate to test the "Flex Seal" products that they advertise on TV. If you do chose to repair with Flex Seal I'd suggest you wear a life jacket and stay close to shore.

Comment

Many years ago I hauled away a scrap wooden boat that looked like a Chris Kraft. It might have been homade in the early 50's. It was powered by a 232 V8. I wish I had pictures of it.
                    james r pepper

Comment

He has a trailer with it, did not give me a price yet, he had pictures of the original brochure. Your info.has me thinking it should be brought into my studebaker stuff.

Comment

This may have been the same set up that they used in the Weasel.
                        Rog
                        '59 Lark VI Regal Hardtop
                        Smithtown,NY
                        Recording Secretary, Long Island Studebaker Club

Comment

....................Click image for larger version

Name:	stude.boat.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	28.3 KB
ID:	1723475
                          Restorations by Skip Towne

Comment

It has nice lines!
                            Diesel loving, autocrossing, Coupe express loving, Grandpa Architect.

Comment

Originally posted by 63 R2 Hawk View Post
                              I believe there was a boat builder around Portland, Oregon who bought up a bunch of surplus R2 motors after Studebaker stopped US production. They went into custom boats. I wonder if any survived? I think they were also selling some of the R2s as "crate" motors.
                              In 1974 or 1975 there was an article in Turning Wheels about a boat being powered by twin R-2s. As I recall it was in Washington State. When this last came up I actually dug out the issue, perhaps Craig's search skills can dig it up. I think it was in a thread Jeff Rice had on powering a Zip Van with an R-2.

Comment

Working...
                              X