Ever Wonder Why I Use Dot 5?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ever Wonder Why I Use Dot 5?

Just in case some dumb arse leaves the cap off the master cylinder when he's reverse bleeding it.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20180820_151346.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	65.3 KB
ID:	1758409

A lot easier to clean up then to repaint.

Bob
    , ,

Thanks Bob. That's one screw-up I haven't actually done myself. (But I also use DOT 5 in everything.)
    Skip Lackie

Comment

Just flushed one bike and one car in the last coupla weeks.
      I still use real brake fluid (DOT 4).

Mike

Comment

I use DOT 5 in both of my Studebakers. I like that DOT 5 doesn't attract moisture like others do.
        Joe Roberts
        '61 R1 Champ
        '65 Cruiser
        Eastern North Carolina Chapter

Comment

I like DOT 5 after helping a friend pull a '64 Hawk out of a garage where it sat for thirty + years, and the brake system had zero stuck wheel cylinders/master cylinder, no leaks, and simply required a fill and bleed to get them working again.

Comment

Dot 5 in everyhting I own for the past 40 years!
            Brian
            Brian Woods
            woodysrods@shaw.ca
            1946 M Series (Shop Truck)

Comment

No problems with brake switch failures?

Comment

My R2 had a dot 5 conversion done in 1985 when it was restored. Brakes work great. It still uses the brake switch that came with the car when I got it 5 years ago but I can't say how many switches the previous owner, and there was only one since the rebuild, had to replace before he got it right.

Comment

Perhaps the question here is, how does it work as a glass cleaner?

Comment

Have had DOT 5 in 5 or 6 vehicles since 1978. One brake light switch failure in one vehicle after about 20 years of use.
                    Skip Lackie

Comment

Originally posted by Michidan View Post
                      Or maybe a paint polish?

Comment

Originally posted by Michidan View Post
                        Actually pretty well, not on it's own but the wiping with denatured alcohol, Prep-sol and Glass Magic cleaner makes for a quite clean windshield.

Bob
                        , ,

Comment

Ok, so I’m still using dot 3 fluid in my Stude but the system is mostly empty as I had the wheel cylinders sleeved and remade all the steel lines. So how do I convert to Dot 5 in my car?

Comment

Flush the entire system, then install DOT 5 and bleed the system.
                            I've been changing all my old cars to DOT 5 since the 70's, whenever I do a brake job.

Comment

If you have replaced the steel lines, I assume you are also replacing the rubber hoses. They should be replaced any time the system is opened up. If it's "mostly empty" flush any remaining old fluid out with a good solvent (acetone, lacquer thinner), followed by compressed air to dry it out. Follow with a flush with a little DOT 5 to get anything still hiding in there.
                              Skip Lackie

Comment

Working...
                              X