The Official Word: STP & ZDDP

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Official Word: STP & ZDDP

Studebaker National Museum Archivist Andy Beckman is familiar to many SDCers. He owns a nice R1/4-speed [actually, now a 5-speed] Bordeaux Red 1964 Daytona hardtop.

Having raided the local Auto Zone for all their remaining CI/CI+4 rated Rotella Oil, he inquired of STP Consumer Services about the amount of ZDDP in conventional STP Oil Treatment.

Here's the reply he received:

"Dear Mr. Beckman,

The amount of ZDDP in the STP Oil Treatment is proprietary. However, what I can tell you is that when you blend one 15 ounce bottle with 4-5 quarts of oil it will provide the same or more protection for you [sic] flat-tappet cam motors then [sic] the older oils with ZDDP. We have many classic car owners who use the product for this reason.

Sincerely,
    Patti Copper,
    Consumer Response Representative
    Consumer Services"

(To accurately report what she said, I felt obligated to include [sic] to denote the grammatical errors![:0]) [}] BP

We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Leave it to a former Studebaker division to help keep our cars rolling. Thankfully theres an alternative.

Comment

Leave it to a former Studebaker division to help keep our cars rolling. Thankfully theres an alternative.

Comment

Sounds good, so how long before today's STP is off the market?

I am getting really tired of hoarding stuff. Motor Oil Anti-Freeze.

Comment

Sounds good, so how long before today's STP is off the market?

I am getting really tired of hoarding stuff. Motor Oil Anti-Freeze.

Comment

Unfortunately,
            there is more than one STP on the shelf, so that alternative is
            more marketing than useful advice. For what it is worth, I dug
            up independent analyses of many oils and additive products. This
            in addition to how to USE JUST ENOUGH additive can be found on
            http://systems-engineering-associates.com/papers, under avocation.

Terry, North Texas
            1963 Avanti R2, 63SR1065
            (in stage 1 resto "Project A")
            This website is for sale! sterkel.org is your first and best source for all of the information you’re looking for. From general topics to more of what you would expect to find here, sterkel.org has it all. We hope you find what you are searching for!

1985 Kubota L2202(Diesel)
            1999 Toyota rice burner
            1986 Ford 150 Long Bed

New resolution.
            I will continue to respond, to the best of my ability, to any query,
            challenge or alternative view relevant to my original post.
            I will not respond to anything off (the original) topic...

Comment

Unfortunately,
              http://systems-engineering-associates.com/papers, under avocation.

Terry, North Texas
              1963 Avanti R2, 63SR1065
              This website is for sale! sterkel.org is your first and best source for all of the information you’re looking for. From general topics to more of what you would expect to find here, sterkel.org has it all. We hope you find what you are searching for!

1999 Toyota rice burner
              1986 Ford 150 Long Bed

New resolution.

Comment

repeated without the extra comma which will prevent access
                quote:Originally posted by 63Avanti

Unfortunately,
                http://systems-engineering-associates.com/papers under avocation.

Terry, North Texas
                1963 Avanti R2, 63SR1065

1999 Toyota rice burner
                1986 Ford 150 Long Bed

New resolution.

Terry, North Texas
                1963 Avanti R2, 63SR1065

1999 Toyota rice burner
                1986 Ford 150 Long Bed

New resolution.

Comment

repeated without the extra comma which will prevent access
                  quote:Originally posted by 63Avanti

Unfortunately,
                  http://systems-engineering-associates.com/papers under avocation.

Terry, North Texas
                  1963 Avanti R2, 63SR1065

1999 Toyota rice burner
                  1986 Ford 150 Long Bed

New resolution.

Terry, North Texas
                  1963 Avanti R2, 63SR1065

1999 Toyota rice burner
                  1986 Ford 150 Long Bed

New resolution.

Comment

Terry,
                    Why not edit your first post, rather than duplicating it?
                    Brad Johnson,
                    SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
                    Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
                    '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
                    '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

Terry,
                      Why not edit your first post, rather than duplicating it?
                      Brad Johnson,
                      SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
                      Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
                      '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
                      '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

Sorry, but being the Stude-cynic that I am, sure can't say that I find the testimony of "Patti" to be wholly credible. After all, she is gainfully employed there, and furthermore it sounds as if she wholly sidestepped the issue of the ZDDP content of the product, namely STP. It has been my personal observation that, for as long as it has been marketed, STP as been used as an additive to high-mileage, worn engines to extend their useful life somewhat, by increasing the viscosity of the crankcase oil. Nothing more. Conventional wisdom says any other claims are just marketing hype. So, until I hear some really convincing evidence to back up the op's assertion, I remain a skeptic.

"You Can't Have Everything--Where Would You Put It?" ---comedian Steven Wright

Comment

Sorry, but being the Stude-cynic that I am, sure can't say that I find the testimony of "Patti" to be wholly credible. After all, she is gainfully employed there, and furthermore it sounds as if she wholly sidestepped the issue of the ZDDP content of the product, namely STP. It has been my personal observation that, for as long as it has been marketed, STP as been used as an additive to high-mileage, worn engines to extend their useful life somewhat, by increasing the viscosity of the crankcase oil. Nothing more. Conventional wisdom says any other claims are just marketing hype. So, until I hear some really convincing evidence to back up the op's assertion, I remain a skeptic.

"You Can't Have Everything--Where Would You Put It?" ---comedian Steven Wright

Comment

I do see that the blue bottles of STP now have zddp in very tiny lettering on the front, lower right. Unless you really want it for the viscosity improver, you might wish to try Valvoline SynPower oil treatment instead. Also, I have heard that GM EOS is supposed to become available at auto parts stores soon.

Dwain G.
                            Restorations by Skip Towne

Comment

I do see that the blue bottles of STP now have zddp in very tiny lettering on the front, lower right. Unless you really want it for the viscosity improver, you might wish to try Valvoline SynPower oil treatment instead. Also, I have heard that GM EOS is supposed to become available at auto parts stores soon.

Dwain G.
                              Restorations by Skip Towne

Comment

Working...
                              X