Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Need a 1954 or later batwing cross member.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need a 1954 or later batwing cross member.

We have a '53 Starliner which has sagging doors. I'm looking for the front cross member that goes from below the door hinges on each side and travels from one side to the other. I think they are often referred to as a "bat wing" cross member.

The doors on our car sag, and have been told that this will help alleviate the problem.

If you have one, or know of someone who does, you can contact me at wyostude at yahoo dot com. Or at 307-399-4881. We live in Black Hawk, SD and often travel to Sioux Falls and SE Wyoming or the front range in Colorado.

Thanks for your help!!

Ray, This is not a bolt in affair. There are 2 brackets with 4 rivets each, on each side of the frame that have to be removed. The 53 hog troughs do not have a captive nut that corresponds to the end of the wing. And some of these crazies are asking more for these wings than I have payed for running cars.
    This is the bracket that has to be removed.

[/URL]
    Last edited by Alan; 08-16-2018, 12:48 PM.

Comment

Check the base of the A-pillar. That is usually a problem area causing sagging doors.
      Gary L.
      Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
      Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

I have a 53 "C" body road racer build planned and am going to use GT torque boxes to stiffen it up. I am not familiar with the difference that may exist in the torque box between the 53 to 54 and up. Other "K" body guys can chime in on that. The 53 not yet modified "C" body that has some rust but the "A" pillars are sound. The doors close like a bank vault. It has no torque boxes but the "B" pillar adds considerable strength. You may need to do some structural mods to add the fastener but I think it can be done. Not a simple bolt in though.

How solid is the car's body and frame structure?

JK
        Attached Files
        Last edited by 3x2stude; 08-15-2018, 08:19 PM.

Comment

We put a wing on our '53 coupe about 30 years ago but I don't remember it being any problem at all. Certainly nothing to be concerned about.

Ok, now, what are these "Torque boxes" I hear about? The only difference I can see in the floors of our '53 and '62 is the size and shape of the rear floor well and the size of the tunnel. The rocker areas are virtually identical and not significantly different from any other car I've been under that has a roof. Yes, convertables and fiberglass bodied cars are different. Oh, and VW's and Porche's...the real ones anyway, not sure about the water pumpers, never had one around.

Comment

The torque boxes pick up the load for the lack of a "B" pillar in all K bodies. They also gave somewhere to attach the bottom of the rocker panel unlike C body where it's just hanging out there. Classic Enterprises has repops for the 62 - 64 GT Hawks. Check their web site.

JK

Comment

Originally posted by rayoung55 View Post
              We have a '53 Starliner which has sagging doors. I'm looking for the front cross member that goes from below the door hinges on each side and travels from one side to the other. I think they are often referred to as a "bat wing" cross member.

The doors on our car sag, and have been told that this will help alleviate the problem.

If you have one, or know of someone who does, you can contact me at wyostude at yahoo dot com. Or at 307-399-4881. We live in Black Hawk, SD and often travel to Sioux Falls and SE Wyoming or the front range in Colorado.

Thanks for your help!!
              If you can't find one or they are out of sight costwise, here's a pix from Bob Johnstone's site. With this as a guide and a few pictures, you might be able to fab one yourself.

AYK, it spans from door post to door post and is connected to the frame so a good approximation should be fine.

Bob

Comment

I.S. has one but you have too ask them to look for it. I was going to buy it but was able to get mine welded
                Barry

Comment

I looked under our '53 today, and the "wing" was a simple bolt in. We cut or modified nothing to install it.

As it turns out I was mistaken as to the rockers of our '53 and '62. The '53 is a simple exterior sheet metal panel. The '62 does have an inner rocker like any other car, it has no "torque box" or anything one might call a torque box. The inner rocker can be purchased from Classic Enterprises. https://www.classicent.com/studebaker/coupes-hawks (about 1/3 the way down the page)

Comment

I have a good one, came from a C-body Hawk, and also one or two rusted ones which could be quite readily repaired.
                    Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands

Comment

Again I got my letters wrong. The part is at SI Studebaker International

Comment

Originally posted by bensherb View Post
                        I looked under our '53 today, and the "wing" was a simple bolt in. We cut or modified nothing to install it.

As it turns out I was mistaken as to the rockers of our '53 and '62. The '53 is a simple exterior sheet metal panel. The '62 does have an inner rocker like any other car, it has no "torque box" or anything one might call a torque box. The inner rocker can be purchased from Classic Enterprises. https://www.classicent.com/studebaker/coupes-hawks (about 1/3 the way down the page)
                        62's have torque boxes. jimmijim
                        sigpicAnything worth doing deserves your best shot. Do it right the first time. When you're done you will know it. { I'm just the guy who thinks he knows everything, my buddy is the guy who knows everything.} cheers jimmijim*****SDC***** member

Comment

No torque box, whatever that is. Just an inner rocker like every other car made.

Call it what you like, but it's anything but a hog trough, maybe a chicken feeder.

Hog trough

Comment

Guys, please post wants in the General board only. Tech Talk is for solving problems, not seeking parts. Thanks.

Clark in San Diego | '63 Standard (F2) "Barney" | http://studeblogger.blogspot.com

Comment

Working...
                            X