OT internet connections

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OT internet connections

I keep seeing references to Studebaker videos. Not practical on my dial up connection. Does anyone out there have experience with a satelite connection?

Don Wilson
    53 Commander Hardtop
    64 Champ 1/2 ton
    Centralia, WA
    Don Wilson, Centralia, WA

40 Champion 4 door*
    50 Champion 2 door*
    53 Commander K Auto*
    53 Commander K overdrive*
    55 President Speedster
    62 GT 4Speed*
    63 Avanti R1*
    64 Champ 1/2 ton

* Formerly owned

Don,

Satellite internet is OK if you don't mind losing the signal when the weather isn't great. Do you have any other options open to you? I know that my aunt, who lives in a very rural part of NE South Dakota, has high-speed service through her telephone cooperative, and a couple of years ago, she finally was able to get cable TV that is delivered through her phone line and it is pretty reasonably priced. That's pretty neat stuff, and it seems to be catching on in a number of areas around the country. Sure beats dial-up and two TV stations, which was all she had until they got to her with the new service.

If you have cable TV, as I do, cable internet is awesome. It's about 5x faster than the DSL service I had, and it's not much more expensive. Even if I downgrade my service to "only" 3x faster than DSL, it's the same price. Most of your major cable systems (Time Warner, Comcast, Insight, Cox, etc.) have fairly decent internet service. I am with Time Warner and like it a lot.

Just some ideas for you to explore there. Hope they help!

Jacob Newkirk - Owensboro, KY

KEEP AMERICA BEAUTIFUL! Drive a Studebaker!

Comment

Don,

Satellite internet is OK if you don't mind losing the signal when the weather isn't great. Do you have any other options open to you? I know that my aunt, who lives in a very rural part of NE South Dakota, has high-speed service through her telephone cooperative, and a couple of years ago, she finally was able to get cable TV that is delivered through her phone line and it is pretty reasonably priced. That's pretty neat stuff, and it seems to be catching on in a number of areas around the country. Sure beats dial-up and two TV stations, which was all she had until they got to her with the new service.

If you have cable TV, as I do, cable internet is awesome. It's about 5x faster than the DSL service I had, and it's not much more expensive. Even if I downgrade my service to "only" 3x faster than DSL, it's the same price. Most of your major cable systems (Time Warner, Comcast, Insight, Cox, etc.) have fairly decent internet service. I am with Time Warner and like it a lot.

Just some ideas for you to explore there. Hope they help!

Comment

I am not very satisfied with Wildblue, offered by DISH.

Jim

_________1966 Avanti II RQA 0088______________Rabid Snail Racing
        Jim
        Often in error, never in doubt
        http://rabidsnailracing.blogspot.com/

____1966 Avanti II RQA 0088_______________1963 Avanti R2 63R3152____________http://rabidsnailracing.blogspot.com/

Comment

I am not very satisfied with Wildblue, offered by DISH.

Jim

_________1966 Avanti II RQA 0088______________Rabid Snail Racing
          Jim
          Often in error, never in doubt
          http://rabidsnailracing.blogspot.com/

____1966 Avanti II RQA 0088_______________1963 Avanti R2 63R3152____________http://rabidsnailracing.blogspot.com/

Comment

Don,
            Satelite is for those who have no other avenue to go. Hughes
            is making a big splash on TV now, and offers a $100 rebate.
            Problem is that their equipt and normal install (must have
            a good view to the southern sky)is $399.00 so the $100.00 is
            after the fact. Their normal service, is $59.95 a month, about
            2x's that of DSL and more than a Cable connection, whose cost
            is dependent on your cable company. While it sound inviting,
            unless you have no other way....DSL, from your local TELCO or
            Cable is still a better deal. There are other satelite companies
            out there other than Hughes, but their costs are about the same.

glen Brose - Perkinsville, AZ

Comment

Don,
              Satelite is for those who have no other avenue to go. Hughes
              is making a big splash on TV now, and offers a $100 rebate.
              Problem is that their equipt and normal install (must have
              a good view to the southern sky)is $399.00 so the $100.00 is
              after the fact. Their normal service, is $59.95 a month, about
              2x's that of DSL and more than a Cable connection, whose cost
              is dependent on your cable company. While it sound inviting,
              unless you have no other way....DSL, from your local TELCO or
              Cable is still a better deal. There are other satelite companies
              out there other than Hughes, but their costs are about the same.

Comment

I have had Hi-speed internet via my cable company for over 5 years - no hook-up fees, free modem and costs me $41/month + tax. Runs about 54 Mbps and I've never had a problem - unless there is a power outage.

<h5>Mark
                '57 Transtar
                3E-6/7-122
                </h5>
                Mark Hayden
                '66 Commander

Comment

I have had Hi-speed internet via my cable company for over 5 years - no hook-up fees, free modem and costs me $41/month + tax. Runs about 54 Mbps and I've never had a problem - unless there is a power outage.

<h5>Mark
                  '57 Transtar
                  3E-6/7-122
                  </h5>
                  Mark Hayden
                  '66 Commander

Comment

I believe that Hughes and the other satelite
                    companies provide about 52 Mpbs....if you want
                    more...then write a much larger check per month
                    than the $59.95 for basic service.

Comment

I believe that Hughes and the other satelite
                      companies provide about 52 Mpbs....if you want
                      more...then write a much larger check per month
                      than the $59.95 for basic service.

Comment

Boy, I'd love to have any of those options! My house is 3 years old this month, yet I still only have dial-up available[}] The main station for cable is about 3 miles from me, yet they won't bring it up my road unless I pay a fee of $5600. The phone system is too antiquated for DSL, and they say there are no plans to upgrade it.

The satellite companies I've talked to want $5-600 for the dish, plus $79/month for service- and they can't even guarantee what my speed will be! I bought a wireless card for my laptop- $59/month; works fine, but is no faster than dial-up. There are several companies who are offering similar deals, but don't "yet" have coverage in my area.

I have satellite TV, and it works fine; no complaints... other than that ugly dish tacked on the front corner of the roof[xx(] I REALLY don't want a second one on there[V]

I predict that a viable solution is right around the corner for me. In fact, I bet, before long there will be high-speed wireless available anywhere you go... the technology to deliver it is there, just not a system to make sure everyone that uses it pays...

So for now, I get by by making a mental note of videos and picture albums posted, and look at them all on the weekends when we're at my other house- where I have cable Or, if I need to upload or download something large like a video, or need hi-speed to bid on something on eBay at the end, I take my laptop and drive into town and park behind McDonald's, where I can mooch off their Wi-Fi... that's how I bought the pair of 62 Daytonas from John Batka- with 21 seconds left[^]

Robert (Bob) Andrews Owner- Studebakeracres- on the IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys!)
                        Parish, central NY 13131

Comment

Boy, I'd love to have any of those options! My house is 3 years old this month, yet I still only have dial-up available[}] The main station for cable is about 3 miles from me, yet they won't bring it up my road unless I pay a fee of $5600. The phone system is too antiquated for DSL, and they say there are no plans to upgrade it.

The satellite companies I've talked to want $5-600 for the dish, plus $79/month for service- and they can't even guarantee what my speed will be! I bought a wireless card for my laptop- $59/month; works fine, but is no faster than dial-up. There are several companies who are offering similar deals, but don't "yet" have coverage in my area.

I have satellite TV, and it works fine; no complaints... other than that ugly dish tacked on the front corner of the roof[xx(] I REALLY don't want a second one on there[V]

I predict that a viable solution is right around the corner for me. In fact, I bet, before long there will be high-speed wireless available anywhere you go... the technology to deliver it is there, just not a system to make sure everyone that uses it pays...

So for now, I get by by making a mental note of videos and picture albums posted, and look at them all on the weekends when we're at my other house- where I have cable Or, if I need to upload or download something large like a video, or need hi-speed to bid on something on eBay at the end, I take my laptop and drive into town and park behind McDonald's, where I can mooch off their Wi-Fi... that's how I bought the pair of 62 Daytonas from John Batka- with 21 seconds left[^]

Robert (Bob) Andrews Owner- Studebakeracres- on the IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys!)
                          Parish, central NY 13131

Comment

I don't use it myself, but there are cell phone services that allow you to use your cell phone hooked up to your computer to access the internet. I think it's at least as fast as DSL and the same monthly fee. I'm not sure which companies offer it either, but it's worth checking out.
                            Terry

1952 Commander Starlight

Comment

I don't use it myself, but there are cell phone services that allow you to use your cell phone hooked up to your computer to access the internet. I think it's at least as fast as DSL and the same monthly fee. I'm not sure which companies offer it either, but it's worth checking out.
                              Terry

1952 Commander Starlight

Comment

Working...
                              X